Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #41
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Look what I woke up to at 5:30 a.m.!!!!

LOL!! We had a similar thing happen here once. Here's a blog post I wrote about it, if you want to feel less alone.

He ended up back in bed with the bag of Wheat Thins.

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #42
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I'm with the "i'd be secretly proud' group of mommies. But the wandering the house at night has to stop. I'd put a bell on her door so when it opens I'd hear her.

I doubt she's really hungry. She just woke up and thought she'd have some fun! A snack beside her pillow if you really feel the need perhaps.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

My now-six year old gets himself up and turns on the TV or reads books until I'm ready to get up... He's recently started making himself toast and cereal, but before that would help himself to a yogurt or cheese string to hold him over.
It has been an absolute life saver on those nights I'm up with a teething baby until 6am. He gets his baby brother up and gives him Cheerios, too! Although I'm usually called to get up minutes later because that baby is mischievous!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #44
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
LOL!! We had a similar thing happen here once. Here's a blog post I wrote about it, if you want to feel less alone.
Boo, the blog is for invited readers only. Can you PM me the text and/or pics?
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

OMGoodness. I'd be so furious, trying not to laugh, and really impressed, all at the same time!!
DD has done this a couple times... mostly when we had icing in the fridge during "birthday season", she got up and snuck the icing out of the fridge. I'd find her in random places throughout the house covered in icing with the jar in hand asleep again

I might try a lock on her door, something you can only open from the outside, if she keeps doing this. Really, the scissors freak me out. Or if she had gotten a knife to use on the melon.

Besides the snacks by her bedside at night, could you try doing a "create your own snack" thing during the day? Maybe she just loves feeling in charge of her eating. Maybe prepare trays of random assorted foods that she can mix, dip, layer, and eat however she wants? Poke straws into or cut with a butter knife, etc. Maybe she'd be less inclined to sneak out of her room at night to do these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
I would be secretly proud on the inside...
Me too!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #46
NickiMM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will be honest, there is no way my son could do anything like this. Our rooms are right across the hall from each other and they are at the end of the hall. The next door is the bathroom...and that is where the baby gate goes. So my son can't go any farther than the bathroom. He is only 3 though, maybe one day he will figure it out (I sure hope not). He also has one of those potty training toilets in his room for in case he doesn't want to even leave his room. And guess what, he usually uses that and goes back to bed.

But, yeah, if I was in your position, I would probably flip.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #47
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You've gotta admit that she's quite clever and creative.
My boys have never really done things like this but my friend's son is a get up early and play kinda kid. He stayed at our house once and I woke up early in the morning to the sound of our inside flip latch and bolted out there. He lives in the country and going outside consists of a private driveway off of a private lane off of a country road, our's is a main thoroughfare in town! I was never so thankful for that latch!
My solution would be an honest discussion about why it's not safe (cutting herself, choking, falling, etc) to do these things while you and dh are asleep. I would offer her snacks in her own special snack box that she can have. But if she continues to do this type of thing she'll lose that privilege. Maybe tell them both you won't be able to buy them fruit snacks and cookies if sister keeps sneaking them and making messes and avoid buying them for a couple weeks/months until she shows she understands why that's not ok and not do it again.
These food battles usually can be guided elsewhere, giving her access to certain things, allowing her to help with planning/shopping (not that I'm assuming you don't do this, but if you don't its a good place to start) and having her help prepare the foods with kid safe utensils. I just took a child nutrition class last week and while some of the info wasn't useful for me personally with my children, I'm finding some of the tips useful! :-) Good luck!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #48
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Boo, the blog is for invited readers only. Can you PM me the text and/or pics?
I didn't realize it was set to that (it's an old blog). I fixed it so anyone can view it now!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #49
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only View Post
Oh my! She had a wild night, this is like "The Hangover, kiddie style."

I have the opposite problem (?). My DD will start screaming from her room at any hour, "MOOOOoooooom, I'm thiiiiiirsty. THIIIIIIRSTY! I need a DRRIIIIIIIINK!" Uh, so go get one? I'm sleeping, you're 4, you know how to master a cup and a faucet. And usually that's followed by a sobbing fit as if the mere idea of mobilizing herself to help solve the drink dilemma is like some act of torture.

Please keep these photos in your scrapbook, you will be glad you did!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #50
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

That is so something my kids have done. My youngest (3), has put a small flashlight in the toaster (smell was awful), escaped from my neighbor and walked herself home, let herself in the house and locked the door behind her (this included crossing a not-busy street), of course the normal painting her nails with polish, drawing on the walls, and her latest trick? Leaving the faucet in the upstairs bathroom running until it poured through the ceiling fan in her room below... if I can get all 4 of mine to 18 without major catastrophe, I will be celebrating like a rock star!

Last edited by Nanner99; 10-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote