Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What if your child doesn't like art?

My son HATES drawing. He hates coloring. He hates anything having to do with any of it. I have had to resort in taking just little bits of color in areas when we had something that needed to be colored (example color the bird blue, color the tree green, type stuff).

Is this something I should just chalk up to my son being anti-artistic (he does make up songs and loves to dance so he isn't totally anti art) or should I keep trying with him thinking he will come around? I just don't want him to miss out on something.

BTW my son is 4, and my DH says he was exactly the same way when he was his age.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What if your child doesn't like art?

May just be him, or more likely a phase. Gently keep exposeing him, a little here and there. Perhaps that would help him come around. Could you ask him to color you a picture as a present for mother's day, a b-day, or just a fam pic. Even a pic of something he would like for Christmas? Youmay want to think out side of the box to come up with some diff ideas. Art is everywhere. Talk about sculpture, drag out the dough and let him give it a shot? Does he dislike drawing with colored pencils? Some cool markers. We have some crayola ones that when they draw over the other color, it changes? Make a (oh, what's it called?), where you use a shoe box and paste in a scene with leaves and cotton, paint the sky blue, ect. Construction paper cut-out shapes to make pics. Art is just everywhere.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sounds normal to me

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dp

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds normal! My oldest is like that. He is 11 and is FINALLY not pitching fits on using color on his maps. We have done lapbooks and he leaves them black and white. I let it go. It isn't something that I feel needs to be a battle in our schooling, so why make it one. DS2 isn't much into coloring or drawing either and DD could sit for HOURS and color.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad I am not alone with this. I was thinking my son was really odd or something. Today he was suppose to draw a photo of his family, favorite foods and such and I just had him dictate to me what was in his family and what his favorite foods were. He seemed happier then. Tomorrow we are working with clay so that should be a bit better... hopefully.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No way your alone, lol. Boys have special ways about them it seems. I know mine do. I just have to work around it or work with it, haha.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest didn't like to color at 4 either. I started trying with him around 2.5 or 3 and he didn't like it at all. I couldn't understand it because it seems like all the other kids love to color (not my own just the "others"). Around 6 he started to LOVE to color. Now, at almost 7 I can't get him to stop coloring. He is CONSTANTLY coloring. Right now he is making a "book" and has about 60 pages of animals he drew. He is constantly working on it and drawing more. He just can't get enough. It's a total shock to me because I couldn't get him to color to save my life just a year ago. Silly kids. LOL.

I didn't push Zack. I just went with it and didn't try to force him to color because I didn't want to turn him off to it and have him end up resenting it. He came around to loving it on his own.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
hibiscus869
Registered Users

My DS was this way as a preschooler, never wanted to color. Then around 3rd grade he really got into it and LOVES art now, he's actually a very talented drawer. I don't think it means anything if they aren't into it initially I will say he has continued to prefer pencil drawings, not crayons or markers or colored pencils. But he does LOVE drawing.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote