Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #31
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Lost toy at sitter's house, advice?

[QUOTE=Ashleah143;15762874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3

Can I ask who you would be mad at?

I would be mad in general but also upset with the sitter. Mainly because if she was watching my one child I would suspect she would be playing with him and keeping an eye on him the whole time. There should be by room for "lost toys". This would make me think she wasn't doing a great job watching him. I would also be upset with her not getting back to me. It's not "just a train" as someone else said. It's that child's train which they have make a "bond" with. Children favor certain toys and the sitter should keep looking or AT LEAST reply saying she hasn't found it or offer to buy a new one. I would never let her but a nice sitter would offer. I guess that's just me... I would be overall really distort with the whole situation.
Interesting line of thought. She must always have her eyes on him at every second or she is not doing her job.

To the first bolded, then he shouldn't have brought it if it was THAT important to him.

To the second bolded, you must be joking! The train isn't her responsibility, he shouldn't have brought it the first place without having a realization that it could get lost.

[QUOTE=doodah;15763017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleah143 View Post

Did the OP say he was even the only kid there? There were AT LEAST the providers kids there from my understanding and possibly more kids. It wasnt just him. Even if it was, it is just ridiculous to say that a sitter should have her eye on him at ALL times. I am assuming if you have this expectation of your sitter, that you are always watching your own children at all times.....nothing ever gets lost, nothing bad ever happens, you never make any mistakes.....goodness, your expectations are so high that who can live up to that? My own kids lose things all the time, get little bumps and bruises, get into mischief....I guess that makes me a bad mom and a bad sitter since the same things occasionally happen with my daycare kids. Also, the provider DID get back to the OP just not as fast as the OP wanted. She DID help look for it...what else is she supposed to do? Sending hourly messages and detail each place she looked? This woman watches who knows how many kids. Maybe she has a huge number of daycare kids during the week. Again, it is unreal expectation to expect her to replace EVERY lost item for every child in her care. Where is the parents responsibility in this? Mom brought the toy and sent little one in with it so there was a risk in doing that.

This post really irritated me and I will be honest in saying that it is comments like this that exhaust and burn out people in the childcare fields....daycare workers, teachers and such. Parents expect perfection and a person makes ONE mistake and a parent is willing to rip their child out a daycare or school. the mom said the child did fine while there and she seemed happy with the service otherwise. Wouldnt it do MORE harm than good to find yet another sitter rather than keep him at a place where she knows he already had at least one good experience (outside of a lost toy which may still turn up)?
To answer your first question....no the OP had more than one kid there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hishouseholdsix View Post
When I came to pick the kids up
To the second bolded........EXACTLY!!!!!

I can not believe how many people have their eyes on their kids 24/7. I have things I have to do and I'm not doing a very good job parenting if I can't let my kids play in the house with out having to have an eye on them every second.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Heck, we lose trains in our own house! I can completely see one getting lost at a DCP's house. They are small, and get pushed under things. We just leave ours at home and take Hotwheels when we go out. I don't care if DS looses a $.99 Hot Wheels. But a $10 train, I will be frustrated...at HIM. However, it would be my own fault. He's 3 and going to lose things.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #33
Ashleah143
Registered Users

I can't believe how many people are taking offense to my personal opinion.
Ashleah143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

My mil does daycare and although we do bring toys over there, I try to keep favorites from going because with so many kids, and so many toys, you risk loosing those toys. I'd buy him a new one if it were me
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #35
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchworktiner View Post
It's a freaking train. Get over it.
...... geez...... she said it was her sons favorite train.

I understand being bummed, especially since they are pricey. But I'd bite the bullet, buy a new one, and not let it leave the house
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #36
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Wow. I wish I could be a perfect parent. I just long for it. :/
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #37
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleah143 View Post
I can't believe how many people are taking offense to my personal opinion.
I think the reaction you are getting is from the fact that you implied that if the child lost the toy, he was not being properly supervised. Children are fast and can be sneaky. Do you expect the daycare provider to not use the bathroom the entire time they are watching kids?

I had a daycare kid that would bring 2 Hotwheels everyday. More often than not, he would lose them in the course of a day. I am still finding them all over the house. They would fall behind his bed at nap or get wrapped up in the sheets. They are at the bottom of toy boxes or mixed in with buckets of different toys ( in the potato head bucket or in the food bucket). They are under the couch and bookshelf in the living room. Luckily, his mom was very understanding and as we have about 100 of them ourselves, I would give him some of ours in exchange if he was upset at pick up time.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #38
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Wow I can't believe how many people are being mean to the OP. What if she said it was his first day and he lost his blankie there. WHY is it because his security item happens to be a train is it suddenly no longer considered important.

OP - What train was it? Was it a Thomas or someone else? Wooden or ??? We have a MASSIVE train collection and if I have a spare I will send you one.
We've BTDT my son's security thing was a toy caterpillar (he's 9 almost and still sleeps with it) it went missing at my sister's house for about a week and I COULDN'T sleep because I was so upset for him let alone him being upset. We are the family that has two of every security blanket so this doesn't happen to us - of course the one thing I can't get a double of is the thing he 1) choose to love the most and 2) lost.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #39
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:

If we take toys to the dayhome it is with the understanding that they have to be willing to share it with other kids and I KNOW there is a good chance that they will become part of the toys at her house. If I'm worried about them losing them then they don't go over there.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Ashleah143;15762874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3

Mainly because if she was watching my one child I would suspect she would be playing with him and keeping an eye on him the whole time. There should be by room for "lost toys". This would make me think she wasn't doing a great job watching him.

Honestly, the kid who is hovered over the ENTIRE TIME he is awake, is the kid who is going to grow up to be a blithering idiot. Kids need freedom and time to play alone too. Kids can not, nor do they need to be watched and played with for an entire day.