Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD swallowed a quarter...(warning poop talk)

We already went to the ER last night right after. They did x-rays and the quarter made it to her stomach, so now we have to wait for it to pass.

I tried calling the ER but they didn't fully answer they just kept saying "If she doesn't pass it in 2 days..."

My question is...what if she doesn't poop AT ALL. She's a twice a day pooper, always has been. So far today she hasn't gone, so what if she continues to not go?

Should I take her in earlier (tomorrow afternoon) or wait until Thursday. They said bring her in Wednesday or Thursday if she hasn't passed it. I'm worried now what if she hasn't passed anything.

They advised against anything laxative (even food, apple juice, fruits, etc) because they want her poop to be solid to cover up the edges of the quarter as much as possible. They also said if it's liquidy it wouldn't grasp it or something

Help??

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD swallowed a quarter...(warning poop talk)

I'm not super worried about her not pooping so far today because she had a stomach bug yesterday and didn't eat much (well except a freaking quarter)...but she's been eating good today and started eating last night so there should be something in there...or ready to come out...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Sugar&SpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

My DD did the same thing when she was about 4. I looked for it and I never found it. I would just keep watching and waiting. Kids do some funny things sometimes. Lol Bet you didn't think searching in poop was in the job description.
Sugar&SpiceX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
NickiMM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Kids do this type of thing. Even with her not going to the bathroom. Every once in a while my 11 month old doesn't go for 2-3 days and then goes 5-10 times in one day....that's just how kids are. Good luck though! I hope everything passes okay :-)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

If she gives back two dimes and a nickel, I'd be worried.
mommypockets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
^^ LOL

If she doesn't poop and pass it they'll follow up on the X-ray. If its not moving they usually have to remove it. It can cause a bowel obstruction if it doesn't move so be careful.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah that's what they're saying, she goes in for a repeat x-ray on Thursday to make sure it's moving or out...if it's not I'm not sure what the plan is from there. If it doesn't pass in a reasonable amount of time (no clue what their idea of reasonable is) or appears stuck they will surgically remove it...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

My younger DD swallowed a nickel this summer (not sure size comparison US to Canadian coin), but she is super tiny and not very communicative, so we did an Xray to make sure it was in her stomach. It took 4 days to pass and she pooped regularly every day...was glad she was still in diapers, made the searching easier! I was told anywhere from 2 to 6 days.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd swallowed a small bell that fell off of a Christmas ornament, she was an every other day pooper at that point and they told us to call our ped if she hadn't passed it in 4 days. She only pooped twice during that time, searched, found nothing.

Called the ped they said give it a couple more days (so up to 6 at this point), 2 more days passed and nothing, so we went back in for x rays a week later...and it was gone. Somehow we missed it.

Anyway, they were willing to let a week go by and warned that she may poop less frequently, but the thing to look for was if she seemed to be in pain or if her belly felt hard. She was acting fine, so they let it go on for a while.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Nora+6
Registered Users

If you'd like to ease your mind a bit, call a healthcare call center / nurse advice line - let them know that the ER doctor never said anything about what to do if your kid stopped pooping.
Nora+6 is offline   Reply With Quote