Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

And just when you think they are coming around...

I posted recently about how impressed I was with DH coming around to more thrifty ways of thinking. I talked about throwing stuff away and working on fixing our cars and paying off debt, etc etc.

And, just as I think DH is getting the hang of being thrifty, I realize he's still got the devil in the details.

This weekend, he was GREAT. He did yet ANOTHER repair on our car, (and it seems like maybe this repair solved all the problems it has had in the last couple months...so far...we hope) And then, immediately after doing the repair, he cleaned out my van for me so that we could put the new baby's car seat in there so everything's ready for when he shows up. And then, immediately after that, he took DD1's friend home AND filled up my van for me. So he did awesome and that's why I couldn't say anything to him.

When it's gas fill up day, I LIVE by the gas buddy app on my phone. We don't have data on our phones, but there are like half a dozen gas stations within half a mile of my house and another dozen or so right on our way to anywhere we are going. So I just check the gas buddy app before walking out the door and find the cheapest gas station. I also let DH know before he leaves for work where the cheapest gas station is that morning on his way.

So he goes to fill up the van while taking this friend home. I let him know that station XYZ is $3.71 a gallon so go ahead and fill the whole tank. He leaves, comes back and hands me the receipt for $63 and change. Which isn't an unexpected number it's a 16 gallon tank and was basically empty. But I just happen to glance at the receipt before I pitch it and he paid $3.89 a gallon! Huh?!?! I know the station listing in gas buddy was up to date it was only 20 minutes old. I check the station and he went to the closest one to the house instead of the one I told him to. THe one I told him to go to was only a quarter mile farther, AND was on the way, the one closest to the house was NOT on the way.

Like I said, he was great all weekend and it only adds up to a $3.20 difference total for the 16 gallons. But, GAH!!!

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: And just when you think they are coming around...

I guess you have to allow for small slip ups, if overall he's making changes then thats the important thing. That he did so well and bought a receipt and everything would be enough for me. I understand the frustration though!
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothlover8 View Post
I guess you have to allow for small slip ups, if overall he's making changes then thats the important thing. That he did so well and bought a receipt and everything would be enough for me. I understand the frustration though!
Oh for sure the fact that he was so great all weekend was more than enough for me! I am not actually upset with him. The entire post is with a wink and a nod and a smile

It just kinda made me go huh?!?! For me my biggest thrifty mantra to live by is "Pay Attention!" And he clearly wasn't
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
smores
Registered Users

LOL My DH did this the other day! I assume I don't live too far from you (since those are the exact gas prices in our scenario, too). We had fuel points from Kroger and the price was super cheap at a different Kroger. I'm pointing this out to him, and watching him keep driving... and keep driving. And I ask what he's doing, right? He said he was too far past to turn around. AHH!! Like you, my SUV has a 16 gallon tank so... yep, wasted money.

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Last year at this time I was always checking gasbuddy. Then, I realized it was making me in to a money-psycho for what amounted to a savings of a couple bucks a fill-up. Honestly, I just let things like that go now. I mean, sure I try to keep an eye on things and not fill up at the most expensive station around...but I probably waste more than a couple bucks a week by not keeping track of leftovers in the fridge and letting things go bad...and DH never hassles me or says a word about that. So why should I give a second thought to him filling up wherever he wants (within reason, of course) Since I stopped obsessing about the small amounts I've been a MUCH happier person.