Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Foods on the no-no list during pregnancy.

I know raw sandwich meat, fish, and any kind of raw meat, as well as soft cheeses (unpasteurized) are on the list of foods not to eat.

What else?

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Foods on the no-no list during pregnancy.

Limited "big" fish like tuna or bottom feeders like crab. Okay in small quantities. Salmon and cod are always okay. Some mamas and docs say no peanuts because you might pass on a food allergy to peanuts but I think that is bonkers and eat them anyway. No raw eggs. That's all I can think of right now!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Going off memory from DS1...Caesar dressing (though, I still have it), shark, eel, sushi with raw seafood, large amounts of tuna, artificial sweeteners, energy drinks, large amounts of caffeine, and the list goes on.

The only part that really applies to my taste in food is Caesar dressing and hotdogs, which for some reason I LOVE while pregnant. Most the seafood I like is safe. I hate artificial sweeteners and cold sandwiches.

Now I want Red Lobster...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

the only thing I avoid completely is alcohol and RAW fish. I still get my sushi on and scarf down the rolls, but it's the cooked stuff. Lunch meat is fine in moderation, hot dogs in moderation. My doctors (multiple) have always told me everything is fine in moderation
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I think in part it is also cultural at the hospital here even in the maternity wards they serve cold cust including salami as well as frischkase (fresh cheese). Only thing I avoid is rare meats, which I dont eat anyway. And less caffine. Otherwise my diet does not change.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I don't really change my diet at all. I never eat unpasteurized cheeses or sushi. I don't worry about lunch meat or hot dogs though I rarely eat them even when not pregnant.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses View Post
the only thing I avoid completely is alcohol and RAW fish. I still get my sushi on and scarf down the rolls, but it's the cooked stuff. Lunch meat is fine in moderation, hot dogs in moderation. My doctors (multiple) have always told me everything is fine in moderation
i didn't even think it was the amount that was a big deal. i thought it was the RAW that was a big deal, because it can carry diseases (with the sandwich meat and hot dogs).

I hate a hot dog the other night... ergh, lol. I heated it up in the microwave until it almost exploded, though... lol.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't change my diet at all, since I generally eat meat that is as safe as possible (raw or cooked), because I buy local and organic whenever possible. I don't eat sandwich meat anyway, but I do have RAW sushi, raw milk, raw cheese...whenever I want it. I only buy from reputable sources, so I have confidence that it is safe, pregnant or not. There is a lot of fear surrounding food during pregnancy, but I think that as long as you are eating everything in moderation (including caffeine and alcohol, meaning 1 drink a day or so), then there is no real risk to the baby. I think that it's more risky to take a bunch of potentially very nutritious foods (ie. sushi) out of the diet.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Do people really drink alcohol during pregnancy? I can imagine 4oz of red wine or something, but something besides that... there's no way I'm doing that during pregnancy.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't change my diet. Everything in moderation and prepared safely (even when not pregnant).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote