Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
mg5g
Self Ban
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,604
My Mood:
Am I asking too much from an Amazon seller return?

I purchased an item via Amazon from a private seller. The item I purchased is an education kit which has three levels. The company who makes it sold it in one of two ways --- as the whole kit OR as just the first level. I purchased the whole kit. The picture was of the whole kit AND the description mentioned all three levels twice. It was not written by the seller though it seemed like a stock photo etc. I paid what seemed like a lot for shipping $10 vs the $5-$6 everyone else was charging but the price was slightly lower even with the higher shipping - in the end I "saved" about $2.

Since it was bought on Amazon.com and I live in Canada I had it shipped to a package service. In total I paid $35 to Amazon seller and $5 to the package company. In Canada it would have cost me $118 for the same kit!!! So totally worth crossing the border for it.

It arrived today and the seller made a mistake! They had the one level version. Totally different box to the picture on Amazon. The seller claims they were unaware of their mistake and yet they have a few more listed on Amazon so who really knows. The one level version is selling for about $15 with shipping so I overpaid by $20! Not to mention I don't even want this kit because I can't buy the higher levels on their own and now have to buy a new full kit.

The seller asked me what I wanted to do. I am anoid but also know they are a real person too. I asked for either a full refund including shipping OR $25 off. If the seller goes for the $25 off they are taking a HUGE hit, well either way they are taking a hit paying for shipping both ways. The reason I asked for so much is I don't think I should have to be "out" my package company fees since I would never have bought this item and will have to pay the package company again when I find the right one. I got to that number by adding what I overpaid $20 plus the wasted package fee of $5 = $25.

Now sorry for the novel BUT I feel REALLY BAD. I think maybe I asked too much? I hated asking for anything and tried to use logic to figure it out - I would probably have taken anything they offered since I hate to fight. BUT I am wondering if my "logic" is really awful to the seller?

Thoughts?

ETA - I guess that they don't have to take my offer though right? In which case I am still out my package company fees...

Advertisement


Last edited by mg5g; 10-02-2012 at 02:10 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Hmm... Sounds really complicated. Obviously their fault for listing it wrong. But I don't think they're necessarily responsible for the package service. Especially if you get to keep the package. I don't really like the whole "partial refund" option anyway (as a seller or a buyer).

I'll have to think it over some more. How long is there selling history? And are they US based? (not another international company marketing to US?)
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
If they had a one level version and a three level version listed, they definitely made a mistake somewhere. You should return the package and they should refund you a full refund and pay for return shipping. that's what I'd request.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
2+2macht4's Avatar
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Posts: 15,565
Re: Am I asking too much from an Amazon seller return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
If they had a one level version and a three level version listed, they definitely made a mistake somewhere. You should return the package and they should refund you a full refund and pay for return shipping. that's what I'd request.
I agree with this, but you take the loss on the 5.00 forwarding company. That was irrelevant but you needto be able to tell them what return shipping from canada is and see if they accept it, they may only be willing to pay the same as prigional shipoping to you.
__________________
Rena , Married to my German BFF T . Mom to 2 energizer bunnies L (12/2010) and E (10/2012). Come play with me: ISO/IHA, M2M,
2+2macht4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
CMamma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,580
Re: Am I asking too much from an Amazon seller return?

I think the seller is responsible for the misleading listing, but they shouldn't have to pay the $5 for the packaging service since it's got nothing to do with them that you shipped it to one. GL!!
__________________
Once... And Again Fabric | Vintage | Secondhand
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
ohgirlohboyohno's Avatar
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,645
Re: Am I asking too much from an Amazon seller return?

So...
The item was $25
shipping was $10


should have cost $10-$15 for what you got

First problem is they overcharged shipping (to cover their cheaper "original price" I figure - that way their listing shows up ffirst as "low" price.)
so I would figure like this...

$5 refund of overcharged shipping
then the price difference btw ($30 for the 3 part set vs $15 for the 1 part set) = $15
The package fee I think is your problem (unfortunately)....except like you mentioned you can't purchase set 2 and 3 individually so you HAVE to pay to have a new set sent to you....

So I think if you want to return....complete refund AND seller pays return shipping - it was THEIR mistake - and unfortunately you are out the $5

OR

If you keep the set, you get a $20 refund and ask for the $5 additional package fee....seller is out BUT it was their fault...if they were honest in the first place they would have probably made more (maybe ....they received $35, paid PO $5, refund you $20...they still profit $10....vs if they listed for $15 (with shipping), paid po $5, still $10 profit)

YEAH! $20 refund is reasonable .... if they don't accept the $25 you can counter for $20
So...by my reasoning $20 is reasonable $25 would just be extra nice
__________________
Lanicia Mama to 3 crazy kiddos - A - 14 P - 6 E - 5 and a little baby J - 2

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
mg5g
Self Ban
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,604
My Mood:
Re: Am I asking too much from an Amazon seller return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
So...
The item was $25
shipping was $10


should have cost $10-$15 for what you got

First problem is they overcharged shipping (to cover their cheaper "original price" I figure - that way their listing shows up ffirst as "low" price.)
so I would figure like this...

$5 refund of overcharged shipping
then the price difference btw ($30 for the 3 part set vs $15 for the 1 part set) = $15
The package fee I think is your problem (unfortunately)....except like you mentioned you can't purchase set 2 and 3 individually so you HAVE to pay to have a new set sent to you....

So I think if you want to return....complete refund AND seller pays return shipping - it was THEIR mistake - and unfortunately you are out the $5

OR

If you keep the set, you get a $20 refund and ask for the $5 additional package fee....seller is out BUT it was their fault...if they were honest in the first place they would have probably made more (maybe ....they received $35, paid PO $5, refund you $20...they still profit $10....vs if they listed for $15 (with shipping), paid po $5, still $10 profit)

YEAH! $20 refund is reasonable .... if they don't accept the $25 you can counter for $20
So...by my reasoning $20 is reasonable $25 would just be extra nice
Thanks - I think I will "counter" if they seem like they want to with this.
As for shipping it back they won't have to ship from Canada, I will drive it over when I go to pick up the right one. I should have mentioned that here - and specifically told them too I guess I just thought it was implied ooops!

Thank you everyone. This SUCKS I really NEED to start using the program. Oh well - I think next time I use a seller through Amazon I am going to triple check with a direct email that the item they have looks exactly like the picture posted and description posted.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg

Thanks - I think I will "counter" if they seem like they want to with this.
As for shipping it back they won't have to ship from Canada, I will drive it over when I go to pick up the right one. I should have mentioned that here - and specifically told them too I guess I just thought it was implied ooops!

Thank you everyone. This SUCKS I really NEED to start using the program. Oh well - I think next time I use a seller through Amazon I am going to triple check with a direct email that the item they have looks exactly like the picture posted and description posted.
It's lame that you'd have to even be that thorough. :-(. I've never had issues purchasing through amazon (yet). Do they have any sort of buyer protection like eBay/paypal does?

I also dislike when sellers overcharge for shipping to "make up" for charging a low price for an item. It's dishonest and it makes situations like this very complicated. :-(. I hope they will do the right thing for you and take the loss for their mistake.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
craftinmama's Avatar
craftinmama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 4,293
My Mood:
Re: Am I asking too much from an Amazon seller return?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
It's lame that you'd have to even be that thorough. :-(. I've never had issues purchasing through amazon (yet). Do they have any sort of buyer protection like eBay/paypal does?

I also dislike when sellers overcharge for shipping to "make up" for charging a low price for an item. It's dishonest and it makes situations like this very complicated. :-(. I hope they will do the right thing for you and take the loss for their mistake.
Amazon's Third Party sellers protection sucks and is nothing like Paypals. You have to check the sellers personal rules but per Amazon if you send something back you do not get what you paid in shipping back AND have to pay to send it back. I JUST had a HUGE issue with one of the sellers on there and called Amazon and they told me all this. I will NEVER by from Amazon's Third Party Sellers again.

Oh and they are allowed to charge whatever they want for shipping. Even if it's 3x (or more) the actual cost.
__________________
~~Rachael~~...Air Force wifey to Jon (3/19/04) Mama to Jaron (9/17/09)
My ISO/IHA. My Ravelry.
craftinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
mg5g
Self Ban
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,604
My Mood:
Re: Am I asking too much from an Amazon seller return?

Seller stopped responding .. I am going to hope they are just working or something but it's been almost 24 hours. Will give it another day and then I will contact amazon/my CC to do a charge back.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.