Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was looking into buying dryer balls awhile ago and hated how much they cost! I looked up how to make them myself & did that. They are REALLY easy to make! I got one thing of wool yarn & it made 4 decent size balls.

Advertisement

itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
madmollyann
Registered Users
seller

Re: Dryer Balls Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 View Post
I was looking into buying dryer balls awhile ago and hated how much they cost! I looked up how to make them myself & did that. They are REALLY easy to make! I got one thing of wool yarn & it made 4 decent size balls.
Any links for instructions? I'm also put off by the cost, but interested in curbing the static situation- especially in the dry winter. The decreased drying time wouldn't hurt!
madmollyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmollyann

Any links for instructions? I'm also put off by the cost, but interested in curbing the static situation- especially in the dry winter. The decreased drying time wouldn't hurt!
I'll try to look for the link tonight and post it for you. I did them a year or so ago so I have to look but I think I bookmarked it
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmollyann View Post
Here's the one I followed: http://howtomakedo.net/154/make-your...l-dryer-balls/

Don't try and tie them the way they recommend (with string). I did that and it just didn't hold up through the first wash cycle I used panty hose and I tied the end of the panty hose shut and it worked like a charm! They were hard to untie that way but at least they didn't open in the wash. I just used a couple pairs of panty hose so when I got frustrated trying to untie it I'd just cut and use a new cestion of panty hose. Coming apart might have also happened because they were in a row (all one piece of pantyhose). I just did them individually after they opened and tied both ends of the leg part of the pantyhose. Hopefully what I said made sense! I got my wool yarn at AC moores or Michaels and used their 40% off coupon on it. That also really helped with the cost! (you can print their coupons from their website)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
madmollyann
Registered Users
seller

Wow, thanks!
madmollyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just don't overdry and you guys won't have static. I don't use anything (sheets or balls) when I do laundry after DS is in bed and we never have static or crunchy clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used an old wool sweater cut in strips. And also used the pantyhose. Then felted it in the washer and dryer. If you do this method cut them in very thin strips. I made 9 and some were bigger than they should be. I could have probably gotten 11 or so out of one sweater if I'd made them smaller. I got the sweater at a resale shop for $4.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
janellenowitzke
Registered Users
seller

I have some and they never left stains. I thought they were causing wear on the cloth. However, I now think it is aplix getting caught on clothing that caused our problems.
janellenowitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
eponine203
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have some from cleansypria too! I got some colorful ones and love them and have had no stains at all. They're not crazy loud in the dryer and everything feels like it's coming out nice and squishy soft. I got 6 and have noticed somewhat of a difference, especially when I'm drying all my nursing pads by themselves after they (of course) don't dry inside their lingerie bag. The more you have the better they'll work. Definitely go wool, not plastic though. The wool soaks up water and will help the dry time.
eponine203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
lauralita
Registered Users

I bought 4 of the regular ones (no color) from Buddha Bunz, and they've been amazing. We're in Alaska, and it's very dry and SUPER staticy in the winter (which is 6 months out of the year), but they have been wonderful for cutting down the static. Totally worth it. Definitely no staining.
lauralita is offline   Reply With Quote