Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Eating out. We used to eat out every Friday night and it was so fun. Now... Couldn't tell you the last time we are anywhere but home or at a family member or friend's house.

And date night! Thats a thing of the past too!

Advertisement

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What do you miss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBuddies View Post
I miss being able to spontaneously do things. I used to love being able to load the kids up in the car and take them somewhere for some fun when we felt the need for a pick-me-up, or a special treat, or whatever. Now, it all has to be planned out or "its not in the budget". I feel like lately the kids are being robbed of a lot of fun/experiences because the finances have been so tight. Now, DH is getting ready to come home from deployment, and I know he and the kids are wanting to go have fun, and probably visit zoos or something, and Im dreading it because yet again, "big bad mommy" has to be the one to tell them we cant afford it right now because a ton of unplanned/unexpected crap sprung up, and no we dont yet have a $1000 BEF, and even if we did, it still wouldnt cover it.

Exactly this. I am not enjoying being the one that has to deliver the bad news that we cant do xyz because we are saving and paying bills. I miss just deciding I want something and going and getting it or deciding we should all go out somewhere then remembering we cant afford to.
I just need to get used to it again, for the last 9 months I've been splurging and gotten out of my thrifty ways, I will get back to it though, just not happy about it right now lol.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I miss being able to buy whatever I want in the grocery store; a drink, donuts, wine, lime tostitos, exotic cheese or things of that nature... Sigh! Sure I can still buy those things but only if come in under budget, or cheat myself.

Sent from my (not so)Smartphone using DS Forum

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #14
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I miss the days where I didn't analyze every dollar or purchase multiple ways.

What envelope will this come out of? Do we have something at home that will suffice? Do we have a coupon? Then leave without it & price compare on 5 websites.

We are projected to be debt free next August so it's worth it...but still exhausting some days.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Right now...lightbulbs lol.

We have a stupid amount of bulbs in each fixture and room. In our kitchen, there's a light above the sink, a fixture above the kitchen island, and a fixture above the table. The one above the island has three bulbs and the one above the table has 5. Then in the sunroom is a celing fan with another 4, then in the family room a fan with 4 bulbs, in the living room a fixture with 2 bulbs, plus one above the steps with 2 bulbs, the bathroom down here has 2 central and 4 above the mirror, there's a fixture in the pantry with a bulb and one in the laundry room between the kitchen and garage with 2 bulbs. We don't NEED all those bulbs functioning, and all that light on all the time costs more money. So we haven't been replacing them as they go out, because it's just silly to have ALL that going.

Problem is, we are approaching the stage where we will NEED to start replacing them. And they aren't budgeted for. All three over the island are out, which is starting to make food prep for dinner a bit difficult, especially if it's raining and the sun is clouded over.

So right now, I miss lightbulbs.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy79 View Post
I miss being able to buy whatever I want in the grocery store; a drink, donuts, wine, lime tostitos, exotic cheese or things of that nature... Sigh!

We used to grill steaks once a week, without a thought... we had steak the other night and I realized it was probably the first steaks we had (outside of an occasional restaurant meal) in 6 mos.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
Having my own car.
Oh man I miss having a car for myself! It requires so much planning to get anywhere with only one car for the family. The savings are astronomical though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Right now...lightbulbs lol.

Problem is, we are approaching the stage where we will NEED to start replacing them. And they aren't budgeted for. All three over the island are out, which is starting to make food prep for dinner a bit difficult, especially if it's raining and the sun is clouded over.

So right now, I miss lightbulbs.
Do you know what we do when we move in? We unscrew over 1/2 the lightbulbs and then screw them back in as they go out. Have you tried relocating some from another room for your kitchen? I think we switched a hall light with a kitchen light when things go really tight a few years ago and just didn't have a hall light for a while. We've gotten some from the dollar store for pretty cheap, but they seem to burn out really fast.

The other thing I miss is visiting family. We used to fly every year to visit family in CA. and now we only go to those we can drive to and that is only once a year. It wasn't a big deal when we lived in AK and all my family lived nearby, so the kids got to really know the grandparents and family. Now the only family they see is once a year at Thanksgiving. I feel like they are missing out .
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smores
Having my own car.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really miss the feeling of spending and not worrying. We're still surrounded by people who can spend as they please and it makes us self-conscious when we have to decline on going out or small trips because we can't afford it. I mean, yes, we probably can if we spent the way they did and didn't worry about savings or paying bills on time, but that's not my style.

And I hate the fact that after all this time with budgeting, I cannot spend money on myself without feeling guilty and worrying about the "what ifs".
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli
I really miss the feeling of spending and not worrying. We're still surrounded by people who can spend as they please and it makes us self-conscious when we have to decline on going out or small trips because we can't afford it. I mean, yes, we probably can if we spent the way they did and didn't worry about savings or paying bills on time, but that's not my style.

And I hate the fact that after all this time with budgeting, I cannot spend money on myself without feeling guilty and worrying about the "what ifs".
I have never experienced that freedom. I analyze every purchase, even when we have plenty of spare cash. I think growing up working class leaves me always fearful that we are one bad move away from being in the hole, or at the least paycheck to paycheck.