Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you miss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman View Post
I have never experienced that freedom. I analyze every purchase, even when we have plenty of spare cash. I think growing up working class leaves me always fearful that we are one bad move away from being in the hole, or at the least paycheck to paycheck.
I grew up very poor, but my parents made sure we had essentials and I was never very materialistic. However, we were on assistance growing up, which really helped out.

DH and I are middle class, which means scrimping and saving, and we live in a state with a very high unemployment rate, along with very high taxes. There's always a fear of us losing our jobs, losing our home, etc. because of the way the economy has spiraled down. We wouldn't qualify for any assistance if one of us lost our jobs either.

Yet, we're surrounded by people who do not mind being in debt or ruining their credit, so it's hard for them to understand why DH and I worry about finances. We always pay our bills on time and we don't ever want to file for bankruptcy.

Advertisement

Last edited by keonli; 10-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I miss having two cars the most. Its been working out pretty well for the most part, but I miss not having to do quite so much coordination of everyone's schedules.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

The lightbulb post. That was the highlight of my day. I wish I had some light bulbs to send you!!

I'm always the "big bad" mom too. When I used to work on saturday nights I'd bring my kids fresh donuts on sundays as a splurge (usually only once a month) the last two times I've told them that I can't. But really that money is better used somewhere else. It's just hard to have to explain that to kids. Our oldest kind of "gets" it and he is very careful what he asks for. He's a freshman in highschool and there is ALWAYS something with him being in sports or band. I feel kind of guilty when he comes home and I have to figure out where to get the money to pay for something because I can tell he doesn't want to stress me out.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I miss having clothes. Before kids and me staying home I worked retail at The Gap and always had cheap new clothes. Now I scrape by with next to nothing and i hate it.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
emilyrebekah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Traveling- I used to do this frequently when I was single.
Shopping- Cute clothes whenever
Manicures
Getting my hair colored
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Regular mani/pedi and international travel.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

I miss the mental freedom that came with not having my budget hanging over my head EVERY WAKING MOMENT. It's stressful.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Ultimately, missing lightbulbs is really just an example of what most others are saying...missing the freedom of not being budget restricted. I miss being able to just buy the lightbulbs we need, without having to have a budget meeting and figure out which week we are going to buy bulbs and so on.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #29
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaiya
I miss the mental freedom that came with not having my budget hanging over my head EVERY WAKING MOMENT. It's stressful.
This. We don't *need* to be on a budget (at least by societal standards), but it would be irresponsible not to be with me being a SAHM and expecting another baby. I really miss being able to make a trip to the beach every couple months and just totally spoil myself at the Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, etc. outlets & shops. Now I only buy those brands if Goodwill has them. we could afford it if it was a higher priority, but I would feel really guilty.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #30
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Nothing really. We spend a lot less since I stopped working when we had DD, but at the same time I feel like we spent a lot of money just for the sake of spending money.

The only thing I really do miss is transferring big chunks of money from checking to savings
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote