Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
GMDkaren
Registered Users

Old Mothering Mags, diaper history

So as not to go off topic too much on the shark post -

It never crossed my mind that the old magazines might have value. I JUST 2 days ago recycled my entire stash of old Mothering magazines dating back to about 1995. I looked at old GMD ads for pre-internet mail-order Green Mountain Diapers that I had in there way back in 1999. 'Free catalog!"

I remember one old pocket diaper that did exist before FB, but it was not the stay-dry kind. Tereson was the first with that kind, no doubt. I remember. I have a picture of one somewhere. It was a cotton pocket.

The old Mothering Magazines were wonderful. They were instumental in my decision to go with cloth diapers. Really the Mothering Mag and New Beginnings Mag and a few smaller publications were the only sources we had to find cloth diapers. You could find some cloth in Sears and JC Penney back then, but the good stuff was in mail order catalogs in the back of the magazines. I guess I threw away a lot of history, but it still exists at Mothering anyhow. But I do still have my 1960's Curity stretch gauze in my archives and it has not yet rotted away.

Advertisement

GMDkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Old Mothering Mags, diaper history

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDkaren View Post
So as not to go off topic too much on the shark post -

It never crossed my mind that the old magazines might have value. I JUST 2 days ago recycled my entire stash of old Mothering magazines dating back to about 1995. I looked at old GMD ads for pre-internet mail-order Green Mountain Diapers that I had in there way back in 1999. 'Free catalog!"

I remember one old pocket diaper that did exist before FB, but it was not the stay-dry kind. Tereson was the first with that kind, no doubt. I remember. I have a picture of one somewhere. It was a cotton pocket.

The old Mothering Magazines were wonderful. They were instumental in my decision to go with cloth diapers. Really the Mothering Mag and New Beginnings Mag and a few smaller publications were the only sources we had to find cloth diapers. You could find some cloth in Sears and JC Penney back then, but the good stuff was in mail order catalogs in the back of the magazines. I guess I threw away a lot of history, but it still exists at Mothering anyhow. But I do still have my 1960's Curity stretch gauze in my archives and it has not yet rotted away.
Total Bummer! I would so love some old Mothering Mags!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There's a couple on Ebay right now. Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTHERING-MA...item33798ad79b
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
yep it had terry inner but it did have a waterproof outer it might have even been vinyl with like metal snaps and was sized. FB was the first to add a stay dry material I believe.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I had one of your free catalogs Karen. I remember one of your CD packages listed 24 bumkins aios I think. I used to lick the steam off of that package. I owned 4 bumkins aios at the time, and would of loved more, but shipping and the 35% exchange rate made the package out of my price range. I heard about your catalog through the New Beginnings magazine (LLL).

Yes, Born to Love used to sell that pocket diaper. Wasn't it called "kangaroo pouch" or something like that? It had a waterproof nylon white outer, and cotton inner. It looked like it had side snaps. I'll have to look it up my old mags sometime. I've also seen old vintage diapering ads on ebay from the 1950's selling pocket diapers before.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't know that you posted on here, Karen! I just got an order from you in the mail today! (prefolds, pins & a book! I got the washing insructions,too usually I figure that I have cloth diapered too long to need instructions, but then I figured I might learn a new trick or 2. Then I got it in the order & realized - you probably have the info on your site,too! LOL!)

My first diapers were from sears in 1990 - Gerber prefolds & covers. With my second baby I had discovered Mothering magazine & his first diapers were from natural Baby co - rainbow diapers, Nicky covers, etc... then I got the Aristocrats & I remember just being SOOOOO excited every time a new catalog I had discovered in Mothering would show up in the mail!

I can only imagine the trip through the past those old magazine have to offer!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
GMDkaren
Registered Users

My first cloth diapers were Rainbow Diapers from the Natural Baby Catalog and Re-Uz'm covers in 1995. I hand-sewed snaps to the front and back corners of the rainbow contour diaper and snapped it into the cover. It worked well but was not very absorbent at all. I sewed socks onto the corners of the narrow prefolds to make them wider so I could pin them on. Now there are so many more choices.

Don't blink mommas! Babies grow up much too fast. I can still picture each print she had on her diaper covers. The navy blue dots, the flower print, etc. So cute! You will probably remember which you had, too. It's funny how memorable the diapers can be.

The first Fuzzibunz that I remember was fleece on both sides. No waterproof layer at all. It worked but was subject to compression leaks as you'd expect with fleece covers.
GMDkaren is offline   Reply With Quote