Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
hibiscus869
Registered Users

We have the Tromso loft bed from IKEA. It's great, but man it is TALL. I would not recommend it for typical 8' ceilings, I'd go for one of the shorter styles they have. To make it we don't use regular sheets. We just have a fitted sheet on it and a matching comforter cover. Nothing to tuck in.

Advertisement

hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you have bunks do you love/hate them?

We tried 2 different bunks and I hated both. My younger girls would sneak in there and jump on them ALL.THE.TIME scaring me to death (even the 1 1/2 yr old at the time) AND the older kids were always to scared to sleep on the tops so no one ever did. We just had more luck putting all 3 girls long-wise on a queen bed. At least for now- they are 6,4,2 yrs old.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Love.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

We, too, had three beds in one room. It was a pain! So, we bought plans from a website for 10 bucks. Actually, we bought the hardware, too, because it was easier and a better price than going to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Anywho, we have a twin over a full with a twin trundle. It is so great. We completely love it. For the sheet changing problem I took a hint from my mother - I have three brothers that had a similar set up. We bought them comforter covers from Ikea and only use a fitted sheet. That way I just wash the duvet covers with the sheets and its easier for them to make. They have to make their own beds.

Another thing, we chose to make them because the weight limit was much higher. I wanted to know all my kids could (not that I ever want them too) be on the top bunk without it collapsing. The Ikea bunk beds and many we looked at are rated for like 165 or 175 lbs. That didn't sit well with us. My brother's kids have bunks from collegeloftbeds.com and they are SUPER sturdy like our's and they just had to put them together - everything came pre drilled and cut, if you don't have power tools.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

They're expensive, but I'm in love with the collections from Maxtrix. Everything is interchangeable and matched up, so you can buy twin bunks, then separate them, then switch out the bottom fora double, or add shelves or a dresser under the bunk, or turn the bottom bunk sideways, and it's all matched to fit perfectly and coordinate.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

We have a twin loft bed with dresser and desk type legs holding it up and another matching twin on castors like this:
For us it's perfect because DS # 1 is currently on the bottom with DS # 2 in his own room (still in crib). When he's old enough to go up top, DS # 2 will be old enough to move into his room into the twin, then when # 1 wants his own room again, # 2 can take the loft bed back to his room and # 1 can have the single twin in his room. I like the versatility of the "L" shaped and "T" shaped bunk sets more than the traditional.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks good to hear so many of you love them! It would definately free up lots of space, my main concern was making them up (we already use just fitted sheets and coverlets, and the kids jumping/falling/climbing on them - I figured the novelty of that might wear off after a while?
I will do some searching - they will have to be secondhand.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #18
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

My boys have the bunks that my husband and BIL used and their uncles used. They are at least 40 yrs old. They are the type you can separate into 2 twin beds. After all these years, they have become unstable so we had to separate them. They have a good size room but things are a bit more snug than I'd prefer. We are moving in August 2013 and will be replacing the bunks after the move with very sturdy bunks that give the option to separate should they prefer to do that at some point. They definitely help reduce the footprint in the room and my son makes his own bed so I don't worry myself about that.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
necomama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
Wondering about your queen....Do you have enough room to walk beside the bed? Like with a bedside table or something? Can it be in the middle of the room or does it have to be pushed against the wall? We are trying to decide how small of a room we can have for a queen lol
It worked best pushed against the wall in a corner. We had it in the middle for a while but that allowed no room for a little night stand. Funny thing is now we have the bunk and that queen in the tiny room. It's become quite cozy.. lol I think if you put your queen on risers it would work. Extra storage!

I am wondering if clothlover8 found a used bunk or kept things the same for now?
necomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like our bunks, and to make them more usable I got "bunkie boards" or at least that's what I think they're called. Rather than a mattress on a boxspring, the mattress goes directly on a thin board. That cleared up a lot of head room and I couldn't believe the difference it made!
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote