Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Because this is a well visited forum, I need some help.

I think it's time for a new urologist who will actually treat you and not pass everything off to OB or ER or whoever else.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel for you! I have seen how painful and chronic kidney stone attacks can be and I can't imagine going through that while pg and having few option for pain control. It is appalling that your Urologist or OB won't take charge of the situation and keep sending your to the ER. When I was 5 month pg with DD2 I had an AWFUL stabbing, throbbing, debilitating sinus infection that would not go away for a month. Neither my OB or my primary care doctor would take charge and treat it. My OB would tell me "it is safe to perscribe your Azithromycin, Augmentin, Amoxicililin, but your PCP should handle it", and then my PCP would tell me he didn't like to perscribe meds to pg women and made me feel bad about taking Tylenol once a day It sucks!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You have stones but they think you are faking it. WTF! Kidney stones are extremely painful and render you unable to function and they do require iv pain meds. You are not faking it if you had stones on x-ray. That is ****ty the way they are treating you. I'm sorry.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I think it's time for a new urologist who will actually treat you and not pass everything off to OB or ER or whoever else.

I'm so sorry you are going through this! I hope you find someone who will help you.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I agree with Holly. Your urologist needs to do something about your pain control. ACtually he really needs to address doing the stents now as that will alleviate the cause of the pain. Going to the ER for IV medication is not a good pain management plan. I see where the ER doctor is coming from. There is no evidence of stones per se and you are refusing narcotics by mouth and asking for IV medication. He really doesn't know you and your history and what you are presenting when you come to the ER and ask for IV pain meds, isn't good. What I would do if you have another attack is call the urologist's office. If he wants you to go to the ER for pain relief, then he needs to call the ER and let them know you are coming and for what reason.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

IDK anything about this really, so please excuse me if this is an ignorant question, but can't they do an ultrasound on your kidneys to see if the pain is indeed from kidney stones? If there is no proof of them in your urine I would worry the pain is from something else entirely, especially since you said you had a similar pain during your last pregnancy..
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury
You have stones but they think you are faking it. WTF! Kidney stones are extremely painful and render you unable to function and they do require iv pain meds. You are not faking it if you had stones on x-ray. That is ****ty the way they are treating you. I'm sorry.
She said they "disappear" from x-ray, then come back, then "disappear" again.
Dumb question, is it possible its not really "stones", maybe just teenie tiny pebbles?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption
IDK anything about this really, so please excuse me if this is an ignorant question, but can't they do an ultrasound on your kidneys to see if the pain is indeed from kidney stones? If there is no proof of them in your urine I would worry the pain is from something else entirely, especially since you said you had a similar pain during your last pregnancy..
Yea, that's what I was wondering.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
smores
Registered Users

I'm confused - is there any (x-ray, ultrasound, MRI) evidence of these stones? It is possible that they are breaking down when they pass, hence the pain.. but I didn't read anything that said you have for sure had an x-ray or anything else proving the stones exist?

And every time I've gone to the ER with kidney stones (albeit not during pregnancy) they have done some sort of imaging to check for the stones. No doc would let me have any sort of pain med without that... I do think the ER doc is doing the right thing in this situation, even though it sucks. And I would be talking to other urologists, too.
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
smores
Registered Users

Oh, and I've heard a shot of lemon juice once a week can help break down the stones and prevent others from forming.

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote