Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05
Sorry I haven't updated. Between trying to get the things done I needed to after being basically out of it for 2 days (happens after an attack) and sleeping as much as I could, it has been hard to get on the comp for longer than a few mins at a time.

So Wed was spent talking to the hospital and my doctors.
When I went to the hospital, I got to talk to a Patient Advocate. She listened to everything I had to say and seemed quite upset when I told her what he said and inferred. She said it is illegal to refuse treatment to someone who comes in to the hospital. I asked her how I am supposed to get help if I come in again and the doctor assumes I am there for ulterior motives. She gave me 2 titles to ask for if it started happening again. She told me to not be afraid to seek help if I need it. But I am still scared if I have another attack that I won't show any actual signs of an attack other than pain. And it doesn't help that my left is starting to hurt.

So then I popped over to the OB's office. I talked to a nurse and she was flabbergasted that this doctor treated me like he did. And she said she would pass along the info to my OB. She said not to worry that the doc poisoned the other OB at the office. And if there were ANY issues, don't hesitate to call. What made things even better was my OB called yesterday to ask how I was doing and wanted me to call him back to let him know. I left a message with his nurse and I think he called me back right after the patient he was seeing as I was called less than 20 mins later. He said he was working on the paperwork and asked me to be patient until he got it done. Though I need to double check on something, he did say to call the office ahead of time before I head into the ER to make sure the ER knows I am coming. I guess that is good....

Then my next stop was the Urologist's office. My Uro's nurse is AWESOME and was shocked when I told her the events. And even more shocked when I told her that drug seekers ask their docs to write a note telling them what they need. My Uro was out of the office on Wed and in surgery on Thurs so her nurse said she would talk to her first chance she got. And she did call me back Thurs AM. She did say that my Uro will NOT write any Rx's for any pain meds and that I need to ask my doc for them. Her reason? She did not feel comfortable giving me any meds while pregnant. And the part was she won't do anything for me. Which I know you all said was bad. Once things calm down, I am going to talk to my OB and PCP about the things you all suggested. I am not poison!

Then off to the PCP. He is so awesome. I went to just let him know what happened and I got an appt with him. He was so shocked that the doc thought I was a drug seeker. Whenever I came in for pain (back, leg.....) I would ask for a shot of Toradol and some non-narcotic Rx. I think stone attacks are the ONLY thing I have asked for a narcotic to receive. I refuse to take a Rx for them for anything else. So I told him what was going on with the Rx my OB wrote. He said he had written for a diff form of the Rx lots of times before. So he wrote another Rx for the exact same thing. Just to see if it would work. Well it didn't. So still no meds..... And again he said if there are any problems to come see him. I think I need to with the Uro refusing to do anything for me.

Then off to home where I did my things until I could not longer stay awake and took a nap.

But I have found out some very interesting things. Remember how I said that Vicodin caused heartburn? Well it does. IF I take it straight up (in pill form with a swig of water) it WILL cause heartburn. I am not pain free (unfortunately) and I did have some leftover Vicodin from when the Military hospital gave it to me when I asked for Motrin. And I thought since I needed to fill my stomach to "coat" it so the Vicodin won't cause heartburn, I thought why not put it in hot cocoa? I saw yet another show (Person of Interest actually) where the ground up a medicine and put it in a liquid to make the person taking it unaware. I thought, why not do that? My sister (Rehab doc) suggested I grind it up and put it in pudding but that tastes NASTY. I do know that that is a big no-no but if I get some pain relief and it does not cause horribly painful heartburn, then I am all for it. Of course I still have to take Benadryl, Phenerghen, Zantac (just in case) and Colace for the side effects. And I won't sleep (but be sleepy) for about 8 hours afterwards. But I CAN take oral narcotics (well at least Vicodin for now). I guess I need to tell my OB. I don't want the last med I can use be my only choice. I hated that and it has never helped my case.
Vicodin is crushable. You just can't crush enteric coated meds or timed release drugs. It it the same thing as Iortab.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #32
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Because this is a well visited forum, I need some help. Update #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mommax4 View Post
What was the med again that they were going to give you? Also some PO meds can be taken rectally (just sayin) there is also another idea, there are two meds one is oxyfast it's the narcotic component of Percocet in a highly concentrated liquid, the other is roxanol, liquid oral morphine they both come in 20mg/ml so highly concentrated, you could take it sub lingually. Now I have no idea what class these meds are in. Also fentanyl, is uber expensive and if you're going from Vicodin to that there's a big difference-good luck, I hope you get somewhere soon!
The med is Fentanyl but in a lozenge. I know how dangerous it can be and how easy it is to OD on it. But it was the ONLY thing I could get anyone to tell me about that was not an oral or IV/IM med. I had no idea some could be suppositories. I had asked time and time again for alternatives to oral narcotics. But all I got were raised eyebrows. I would take a non-opiod if I could but no one will tell me.

I know that Morphine comes in a liquid. But liquid is actually worse on my heartburn than the pills. I had the codeine cough syrup and the heartburn came on within 15 mins. I hate my heartburn!!!!
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #33
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Vicodin is crushable. You just can't crush enteric coated meds or timed release drugs. It it the same thing as Iortab.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
What are enteric coated meds?

and Lortab? I have read about that but have no clue what it is.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #34
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and I still got heartburn this evening. But it was not severe in the least. I took some Mylanta and some Rolaids and it went away!!! I have NEVER had that happen before!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #35
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:

It's hydrocodone and acetaminophen.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #36
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Enteric coated meds are those that have a coating for delayed/sustained release. A lot of aspirins are coated, some bp meds, very few pain meds unless they are specifically extended release.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #37
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lortab is another name for Vicodin
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #38
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

OP - is there another urologist you can see? I personally would be pretty worried about all the different drugs you are taking and how those may be affecting your baby. I know they don't often operate on pregnant women BUT I also know it can be done. I think at this point I would be pusing for surgery if I were in your shoes.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #39
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

OP, I think you really need to consolidate you care. Seeing the urologist, OB, PCP and the ED all for pain meds is going to come across to some as seeking behavior. I would be concerned if I were one of your providers and you related your story to me. You have multiple oral narcotics at home and are looking for narcotics by routes that are faster/more concentrated than oral and now you have more than one prescription for fentanyl from more than one different doc. I am not accusing you of seeking, but from the outside, you have some behaviors that may look that way. I would suggest talking to your OB about how to control your heartburn so you can use oral meds to control your pain. The other option is to simply fill your prescription and worry about insuance reimbursement later.

You might look for another urologist, but I suspect that it will be difficult to find one willing to put in a stent until you deliver. You have mentioned having no evidence of stones other than the pain. I still don't understand this statement. If they are seeing stones when they scan you, why do the say they don't see evidence? Lastly, i would be straining my urine every time to try to catch a stone.

Last edited by z2akids; 10-06-2012 at 07:49 AM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #40
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
OP, I think you really need to consolidate you care. Seeing the urologist, OB, PCP and the ED all for pain meds is going to come across to some as seeking behavior. I would be concerned if I were one of your providers and you related your story to me. You have multiple oral narcotics at home and are looking for narcotics by routes that are faster/more concentrated than oral and now you have more than one prescription for fentanyl from more than one different doc. I am not accusing you of seeking, but from the outside, you have some behaviors that may look that way. I would suggest talking to your OB about how to control your heartburn so you can use oral meds to control your pain. The other option is to simply fill your prescription and worry about insuance reimbursement later.

You might look for another urologist, but I suspect that it will be difficult to find one willing to put in a stent until you deliver. You have mentioned having no evidence of stones other than the pain. I still don't understand this statement. If they are seeing stones when they scan you, why do the say they don't see evidence? Lastly, i would be straining my urine every time to try to catch a stone.
This.

I had a lot of pain when I was pregnant too. I had an rx for lortab, and only used it for a week or so, even though my rx was for much longer. Just having some in case I needed it made the pain easier to deal with, if that makes sense. what really helped me was seeing a psychologist and taking classes on how to naturally cope with pain (meditation, relaxation techniques, keeping stress to a minimum, diet, etc). Even if you can't completely stop taking medication, it might help you get away with taking a lower dose.