Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Man, this is rough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
it's happened to me while pregnant and wasn't low blood sugar (it has also happened other times and definitely been low blood sugar).

I've always written it off as just a side effect of pregnancy. Dehydration could definitely be it or stress. I had a couple things that felt like panic attacks while I was pregnant with DD, but I wasn't actually panic'd.

For the OP - does sound like low blood sugar - keep candies in your pocket like an old lady
Yeah, it happens to me when pregnant too. Not low blood sugar usually (though sometimes.) It's just an occasional pregnancy side effect for me.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds just like how I feel when I get low blood sugar during pregnancy. I get it at other times, too, but much more often when pregnant. And for some reason, it tends to hit me hard when I'm just standing around - like waiting in a check-out line or something like that. I would have been fine walking around the store, stand in line for a few seconds, and *bam* it hits me.
I have had to sit down on the floor before, to prevent myself from passing out. Overall, even without the anxiety of making a fool of myself by fainting, it just feels really crappy. And a really bad low (when I don't get something to eat to help right away) can leave me feeling off for the rest of the day.

And yes that is why you felt better after drinking soda - but please don't let that be your "go to" for preventing it! When you drank it, you got a bunch of sugar - this is good as it gets rid of the low blood sugar. But without having protein to make the sugar "last" in your system, you'll be feeling crappy again rather quickly. If I only get sugar into me, it will last my body maybe half an hour, then I get low again.
The best thing I've found to help is some trail mix - the one I like has craisens and raisens (giving me a quick sugar boost), and also has a bunch of different nuts (protein to get things regulated for a while). If I get feeling low at all (you'll get used to recognizing it before it gets bad) I just grab a bag of the mix and eat it - I always keep a couple in my diaper bag or purse, just in case.
Granola bars would be good, too. And there is a special "bar" for diabetics that works really well - but they are really sweet and kinda $$.

Definitely make sure you're staying hydrated - lots of water. But try not to rely on the soda as your "rescue", it's really a short term solution.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Michellelg
Registered
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is what I feel like with low blood sugar. I wouldn't e so quick to dismiss it based on the fact that you've eaten, though, because mine was finally diagnosed as REACTIVE hypoglycemia. It can happen if I don't eat for a while, but my body also reacts to certain foods by bottoming out. For example, if I eat something sweet after a fast (practical example: pancakes for breakfast) Ill be a mess for the whole day. I spent a long while working with a nutritionist to figure out what, exactly, my body was reactive too. Now I know that the morning has to be all protein for me, basically. Once I've gotten the day started that way, I can usually eat anything I want without repercussions. She said that isn't true for everyone. Some people are sensitive to carbs and some aren't, etc. it was a real puzzle to sort it out

Anywho, the best advice has already been given - balance the things you "treat" it with with protein. Trail mix is PERFECT for this. I always, always have a pack in my purse.

I had more to say but dH is rushing me out the door. Feel better soon!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the heads up you guys. I just ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (perfect for protein + sugar).

Feeling a bit better. Although, it's hard to tell when I'm really feeling "better" because the m/s is so bad... which doesn't help when it comes to trying to keep blood sugar regulated. Ergh. If this continues, I will be talking to my doctor about it when I go in next Wednesday, the 10th.

It's a really, really crappy feeling. I can say that.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
We were at Walmart lastnight, and while checking out, I started to get lightheaded and slightly dizzy. Then, I felt hot, and almost felt like I was going to pass out. I noticed I was a little weak, and was shaking a bit.

Any idea what this was? :/ It lasted about 20 minutes or so.
This happened to me a lot while pregnant, my doc said it was probably a vasovagal thing, which makes sense because I do tend to faint. It happens to me when I experience a lot of sudden pain (like when I hit my elbow hard), or when my blood sugar drops low. Also when I laugh too hard or have any blood drawn at all (not because I'm grossed out, it's just how my body reacts). It's not dangerous unless you fall and hit your head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Fainting in any situation is scary for me, because I am alone with my 4 year old all day long. It's scary to think about what would happen if I fainted and left him to himself. Eeeek.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
Fainting in any situation is scary for me, because I am alone with my 4 year old all day long. It's scary to think about what would happen if I fainted and left him to himself. Eeeek.
When it happens to me I'm only out for 30 seconds at most. Usually I wake up pretty quickly, and if it was a bad spell I might vomit. But then if I take it easy for the next hour I'm fine. A few months ago I got a cortisone shot in my wrist and the pain made me pass out and puke. It was embarrassing, but didn't last long.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I am not ruling it out at all. It sounds pretty similar, but can pregnancy cause this? Why would I just have a sudden onset during pregnancy, when I've never had episodes like this before?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
I am not ruling it out at all. It sounds pretty similar, but can pregnancy cause this? Why would I just have a sudden onset during pregnancy, when I've never had episodes like this before?
Ask you're doc, but from what I've been told anything can bring it on, including hormonal changes. Also you're blood flow is changing, your metabolism is different, there is a lot happening and some people (like me) have a very responsive vagus nerve.

When you feel it coming on immediately sit or lie down, elevate your feet higher than your head to increase blood flow to your brain, and relax. Closing my eyes and relaxing usually stops it before I full on faint.

Last edited by Palooka; 10-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Gah. That's so scary. Fainting is one of my biggest fears (comes along with anxiety). I'm just afraid I'll faint, and not wake up... ;/ Ugh.