Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cheap Handmade Xmas Idea--Would this be ok?

I am trying to do 2 things this Christmas. 1) Keep Christmas on the cheap and 2) trying to make as many things by hand as possible. We are hosting DH family for Christmas so I will have 13 childrens gifts to make. I was thinking of making each kids a pillowcase with a theme that they like. For example DN is really into Thomas. I would make him a pillow case with Thomas fabric. I can get a 2 pack of standard pillows at WalMart for 8.00. So each pillow/pillowcase would cost right around $9.00. I know my kids would love them but they really enjoy gifts made esp for them. I was also thinking that because most of them are traveling several hours the pillows would be handy on the ride home?? What do you think? Honest opinions please, I don't want to make them something they won't use.

Advertisement

Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cheap Handmade Xmas Idea--Would this be ok?

I like it. 13 kids is a lot of gifts.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love that idea, it seems quite practical. Just a few other ideas for the heck of it: I also saw recently these neat pillows on etsy that "eat" pjs, I thouht they were adorable (they are little monsters with zippers for mouths, there's a pocket and your kids shove their pjs inside in the am). I want to try to make those. I am making pajamas for my kids and my friends kids this year. Just bought the joanns flannel when it was on sale for $2-3 a yard.. white tee shirts as the tops. The pants were so easy to make! I personally love handmade gifts. Happy sewing!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will check out those on etsy, they sound adorable. I love the idea of the pj's, I was bummed that I couldn't make it to Joann's last week too, hopefully they will have it on sale again. I wanted to make a new neice on the other side of the family a rag quilt.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
megkmc
Registered Users

Pillowcases sounds awesome! Handmade AND practical and my kids would love them!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I love your idea, but honestly most families I know are already swimming in bed linens and that type of thing...I like pp idea of pj pants. Kids need new pjs every year because they just keep growing

TBH, if it were me I would ask his family if you all could forgo gift exchanging this year anyway. I mean, among the extended family. Still get your own kids gifts, and his parents of course, but not all the other kids and other adults. That is a LOT of presents to provide, whether homemade or purchased.

We stopped exchanging gifts years ago, and just gifts to our own kids. Much cheaper and much less stressful/more enjoyable.

I think it's really neat that you do handmade gifts, though
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

last year i made all the girls(6 of them) aprons. this year all the kids(8) are getting pillowcases with their names appliqued on them...and maybe velcro on letters on the other side so they can "spell" words but i havent decided on that yet. i think pillowcases are great for kids especially if they are something they like. fwiw i nabbed travel pillows at target for $2/each on clearance for the toddlers
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

A few years back I made simple tote bags w/ big shoulder handles for my nieces & they are still using them. My 13 yo niece still carries hers back & forth between Mom & Dad's house every weekend.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather1583 View Post
I love that idea, it seems quite practical. Just a few other ideas for the heck of it: I also saw recently these neat pillows on etsy that "eat" pjs, I thouht they were adorable (they are little monsters with zippers for mouths, there's a pocket and your kids shove their pjs inside in the am). I want to try to make those. I am making pajamas for my kids and my friends kids this year. Just bought the joanns flannel when it was on sale for $2-3 a yard.. white tee shirts as the tops. The pants were so easy to make! I personally love handmade gifts. Happy sewing!
I just checked and Hancock has flannel on sale--what size elastic did you use in the pj pants?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's a great idea. You could do small travel pillows, too.