Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

home made pablum

My MIL is insisting that I need to start feeding Lulu pablum. And I am starting to agree (she is just about 4 months, has completely stopped sleeping at night, and IS STILL nursing every 1.5-2 hours ALL DAY EVERY DAY)

I want to make it myself, so do I just grind up brown rice and call it done? Is there a proper recipe I should follow? How do I cook it if she is only supposed to eat a tablespoon at a time? Can I cook a bunch and keep it in the fridge?
Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

What's pablum??? I'm taking it as some kind of baby food?

Babies don't need to eat until after 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Re: home made pablum

Ah, um I guess pablum is the Canadian word for mushy grain goop baby food, not the jar stuff, the box stuff.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would just insist that i not have to do anything as a parent that i dont want to do. she had her kids and made choices for them, now it's your turn. even after starting solids my kids still nursed every couple hours until they were over a year old.

Pablum is old school term for cereal. i use to get the same advice from my elderly family members as back in their day they were encouraged to put it in the baby bottles to make their babies "sleep through the night"
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 10-13-2012 at 11:30 PM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I wouldn't give solids at 4 months either. My 16 month old will still nurse 1 1/2-2 hours very night. He is of course on solids.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly it's totally normal for her to be nursing that often at that age... and at 4m she doesn't have the enzymes to break down the rice yet so you may end up dealing with gas issues etc instead of hunger.

I know it's really hard to power through those first few months where they nurse all the time, my YDD was like that too, and still nurses a lot at night (and she eats a TON). Honestly co-sleeping saves my life in that sense because I can pretty much sleep and nurse her at the same time.

The rice cereal thing is old school advice that tons of people will give you, They honestly didn't know better then, they didn't know babies don't produce those enzymes yet.

If you decide to try it anyway grinding up rice super super fine and cooking like oatmeal with hot water will make rice cereal. I'd just save that info 'till she's older
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just wanted to chime in that sleep regression at 4 months is VERY common, although frustrating. Studies have shown that introducing solids does not help babies sleep longer, however it is up to you to decide what is best for your family. The old school thing was cereal at 3-4 months, which is probably what your MIL is pushing for. Good luck with whatever you decide and sending good sleep vibes your way!9
Old 10-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree, 4 mo sleep regression and possibly a growth spurt? Is she actively nursing at night or is she just comfort sucking?
Have you tried cluster feeding in the evenings? It might give you some longer stretches in the first part of the night.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers View Post
My MIL is insisting that I need to start feeding Lulu pablum. And I am starting to agree (she is just about 4 months, has completely stopped sleeping at night, and IS STILL nursing every 1.5-2 hours ALL DAY EVERY DAY)

I want to make it myself, so do I just grind up brown rice and call it done? Is there a proper recipe I should follow? How do I cook it if she is only supposed to eat a tablespoon at a time? Can I cook a bunch and keep it in the fridge?
Thanks!
I have no advise on how to make it but I just wanted to say that I think you should do what you think is right and works for you and your baby
ambieone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

You can cook regular brown rice or oatmeal just like you would for yourself, in a pot, and then puree it with a bit of water in a blender for baby. You can freeze the extras in ice cube trays and thaw out individual cubes for each meal.

Not that you asked , but I found my babies would eat better and sleep better if I purposely spaced out their feeds by this age (assuming we had passed the growth spurt, which should only last a week anyway). I gradually added 20-30 minutes between feeds by walking, rocking, swaddling, patting, distracting with a musical toy, etc. That way, they were hungrier which made them nurse longer, totally emptying the breast and getting all the fatty hindmilk, which keeps them full longer. It also made them more tired, so they slept better later . My kids were nursing every 3-4 hours for a total of 5 times a day at that age, with one nap between each feed for three total naps. My milk supply soared since my breasts were getting totally emptied and my kids gained a ton since they got so much fat. They also slept 10 hours solid through the night after that.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote