Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Totally do able...we spend 400/ month for a family of 5...BEFORE coupons.

$4/day would account for $140/week...so an extra $120/month

Also, if you qualify for snap, you probably qualify for free lunch and breakfast at school for the kids...which is then at least 10 more meals a week to not worry about

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Found this blog about Snap Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
But aren't a large amount of people who are on government assistance lacking education and the resources needed to learn about proper nutrition and basic money management? Many complain about not being able to thrive on what the government provides, not realizing that SNAP is meant to supplement additional income.
And this is where I think the system "fails." I can tell you that it was very very very rare to find a major couponer come through my register at CVS who was paying for the remaining amount with a SNAP or TANF card. Now, I am not suggesting that everyone who is on assistance has to learn to be an extreme couponer. But, I think that education on money management, ways to save money, basic ways to PAY ATTENTION, all that sort of education should be included or required with benefits. One of the problems I think we have with the system is that it's so often a system of just throw money at the problem, with no real look at what the ACTUAL problem is. There's no help for anyone to create a plan on how to spend the money they get, no education on how to do a cost/benefit analysis, no advice on what to do to save money.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I don't know where people are getting all these coupons from but I have never been able to find many. I bought the sunday papers but found I was in general just breaking even. What I saved with coupons I was spending on the paper. Since I don't read the paper it was just using up my time with nothing significant in return. Some weeks I was actually out money.

And at least in my area $4 a day per person is pretty generous. For our family of 5 that would be $600 a month just for food.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

I look all the time for coupons and they rarely have them for unprocessed foods. I think one time I found a couple of them for frozen veggies, but frozen is processed IMO. I usually just hit the sales and the buy one get one free meat sales. So please tell me more about coupons, where to find them for fruits, veggies and proteins like tofu and meats! Also we have a gluten intolerance so coupons for rice noodles and gluten free flour would be awesome! I applied to a couple of sites for their coupons and all I get except for the random and rare coupons for milk or frozen berries/ veggies is stuff for granola bars, cereal, hamburger helper, frozen entrees, soda, bottled water and boxed food dry goods. Stuff we never buy. Even the Cascadian farms organics has only a few coupons for fruits and veggies. Most of them is for their processed food line. Is there somewhere you guys are finding these great coupons?
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
Shaunam
Registered Users

I can easily do it with just me and DS (and used to all the time). Throw in my S/O and that all goes out the window. He's SUPER picky about what brands he'll eat and he insists he needs to drink boost glucose control every morning even though I offer to make him a good breakfast that would work just as well to prevent crashing.

We are big time snackers....I just try to make snacks instead of buying them. The past two weeks I've made muffins, cookies, and no bake energy bites. And a cheesecake.

ETA: I do realize it helps that I SAH..although I have been a single working mom so I've seen it from than angle too. I'm thankful to have learned about healthy eating and being frugal. I know a lot of people who just don't KNOW. Don't know what's healthy, don't know how to cook. No one has ever taught them. I didn't know how to cook when I moved out on my own. I'm decent now but that's with a lot of practice and trial and error.

ETAA: $4 a day would put us at $360 a month for 3 people. My current goal is $450 which is difficult given my S/O's crazy food habits. I wish I could find some good coupons for boost. LOL

Last edited by Shaunam; 10-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Shaunam
Registered Users

Also I have a friend that gets snap and also gets free school lunches. She has 3 kids in school and they receive free breakfast AND lunch. It helps lower her food budget significantly. Having the big kids in school helps.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
I look all the time for coupons and they rarely have them for unprocessed foods. I think one time I found a couple of them for frozen veggies, but frozen is processed IMO. I usually just hit the sales and the buy one get one free meat sales. So please tell me more about coupons, where to find them for fruits, veggies and proteins like tofu and meats! Also we have a gluten intolerance so coupons for rice noodles and gluten free flour would be awesome! I applied to a couple of sites for their coupons and all I get except for the random and rare coupons for milk or frozen berries/ veggies is stuff for granola bars, cereal, hamburger helper, frozen entrees, soda, bottled water and boxed food dry goods. Stuff we never buy. Even the Cascadian farms organics has only a few coupons for fruits and veggies. Most of them is for their processed food line. Is there somewhere you guys are finding these great coupons?
We rarely go organic because of costs but do primarily use unprocessed.(except I have never considered frozen Veges as processed) With allergies in the home it is simply easier to make from scratch than to try to find foods that do not contain soy, onions, or MSG. There are other allergies as well but one of those three is in almost every premade food a available. Even organic.

Coupons in general don't seem to be available for unprocessed foods.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think $4 a day would be a challenge but doable, $6 a day would be easy!!
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
We rarely go organic because of costs but do primarily use unprocessed.(except I have never considered frozen Veges as processed) With allergies in the home it is simply easier to make from scratch than to try to find foods that do not contain soy, onions, or MSG. There are other allergies as well but one of those three is in almost every premade food a available. Even organic.

Coupons in general don't seem to be available for unprocessed foods.
To freeze the veggies they have to blanch them. Which deactivates the enzymes and allows for a longer storage life. It is only a brief dip in boiling water and then cold to halt the cooking process, but it is partial cooking which equals processing. Although, they are probably the least processed of the processed foods they still are manufactured in factories that can process other foods you have allergies to.

Yeah, we have to make a lot of things from scratch to avoid allergens to. There is no escaping soy anymore ! I'm so sorry you have to avoid that one.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

I don't considered frozen veggies processed. I considered foods that are altered, things added, ect to be processed. They just take a dip in water, nothing i wouldn't do to them myself.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote