Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #41
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Found this blog about Snap Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores View Post
Use the purees as "jam" on bread, or make them into popsicles. My DD decided a while ago she was done with purees, but I used mine up like that. Try the chunkier ones, too?
Popsicles! Good idea!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids eat simple... and I rarely buy treats. So I'm not really concerned. I'm blessed with kids that eat everything and anything I put in front of them.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #43
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I live in a town of 1200 with 1 grocery store. This store often has limited produce with super high prices. The grocery store is MAYBE 3000sq ft to give an idea..smaller then a Dollar General. The next closest decent store is 35 miles away...take $4 gas into account with an old vehicle bc I couldn't afford payments for an economically fuel effecient vehicle and I'm already looking at $30 in gas to go shopping when I needed that for a week of wood pellets for heat or we freeze. No openings in a licensed daycare (which the state would pay for bc I couldn't afford daycare on my own at $2.50/hr/kid) for me to even get a job...add DRIVING to that job...oh no jobs in town that pay more that $7.35/hr. Oh and my grocery store does NOT take coupons..store policy and Affiliated's policy (local chain) leaves few options. Ever bought "fresh" strawberries just to realize the entire center was moldy? Or picked up a peach and had your hand go through it bc it was rotting already? Or fresh hamburger packed around old hamburger? Welcome to my store.....I think its completely unfair to assume there's a "fix" to the situation and take every variable into consideration. That's why SNAP is a blanket program...government covers their a$$ hoping 1 out of every how many will use it to honestly do their best to feed their families...and that's coming from a bachelors degree EDUCATED nurse Just saying.....there's more to it than find a different store or go cut some coupons.

I no longer have SNAP but I sacrifice seeing my husband 3-4 times a year to allow him to have a job that will provide for us. I SAH bc I can't afford to work with col/gas/daycare etc and bc its not fair to miss dad 3-4 months at a crack and miss mom too, kwim? Anyway rant over..education part just peeved me off and small town living is completely different than suburb living.

It's a Boy!! Due April 30th!!

Last edited by 3girlsallnaughty; 10-03-2012 at 09:53 PM.
3girlsallnaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #44
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We also have to remember that not everyone who is on SNAP has access to a kitchen, water, microwave, etc. My friend was homeless and living in a hotel (paid for by the county for 20-something days) and she could barely use her FS because she was in a Motel 6... No micro, no mini fridge. I let her use my good cooler so she could buy ice and store her perishables so the kids had after breakfast, at and after school snacks, milk, etc. She had to buy a lot of pre packaged foods because its all she could do! She couldn't make anything from scratch or warm anything up and had limited cold storage. She would have qualified for WIC but she couldn't use half of it. Maybe the cereal, milk, (string) cheese, produce, bread and PB? She didn't even spend all the money on her card every month so it would be silly to get WIC and barely be able to use that too.
And as far as people spending it all, it's not always meant to supply all your food. It's a "supplemental" program. Same with WIC. There was a time that I had to buy formula for my twins as they would eat more than the 8 cans a month I was given. I remember asking if they adjusted it or how I could get more because I couldn't afford it as a single mom, in school FT, etc. They said it was a supplemental program not meant to supply you for all your needs for the month. It it lasts all month great, but otherwise it's up to you. I didn't have the problem again after a month of it, must have been a growth spurt.
Anyway, when we applied for Pregnancy Medicaid they automatically see if you qualified for other programs. They said we (pregnant me, dh and 5 kids) may qualify for over $1000/mo in FS! <faint> we didn't qualify but I was like WOW! What that would do to our monthly income would have been crazy! That's was almost a month's rent at that house. WIC is a big help and even if we don't use it all, what we do use makes it worth it!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #45
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi
We also have to remember that not everyone who is on SNAP has access to a kitchen, water, microwave, etc. My friend was homeless and living in a hotel (paid for by the county for 20-something days) and she could barely use her FS because she was in a Motel 6... No micro, no mini fridge. I let her use my good cooler so she could buy ice and store her perishables so the kids had after breakfast, at and after school snacks, milk, etc. She had to buy a lot of pre packaged foods because its all she could do! She couldn't make anything from scratch or warm anything up and had limited cold storage. She would have qualified for WIC but she couldn't use half of it. Maybe the cereal, milk, (string) cheese, produce, bread and PB? She didn't even spend all the money on her card every month so it would be silly to get WIC and barely be able to use that too.
And as far as people spending it all, it's not always meant to supply all your food. It's a "supplemental" program. Same with WIC. There was a time that I had to buy formula for my twins as they would eat more than the 8 cans a month I was given. I remember asking if they adjusted it or how I could get more because I couldn't afford it as a single mom, in school FT, etc. They said it was a supplemental program not meant to supply you for all your needs for the month. It it lasts all month great, but otherwise it's up to you. I didn't have the problem again after a month of it, must have been a growth spurt.
Anyway, when we applied for Pregnancy Medicaid they automatically see if you qualified for other programs. They said we (pregnant me, dh and 5 kids) may qualify for over $1000/mo in FS! <faint> we didn't qualify but I was like WOW! What that would do to our monthly income would have been crazy! That's was almost a month's rent at that house. WIC is a big help and even if we don't use it all, what we do use makes it worth it!
Yep, and that would be another issue. My brother at one point got $30/mo. How would he be educated to spend that? Who decides he made the best use of that money?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #46
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

about what someone said earlier... if you use a coupon with SNAP, you have to pay taxes on that coupon. the SNAP won't cover any taxes and you are always taxed on coupons.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #47
Joluru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings View Post
about what someone said earlier... if you use a coupon with SNAP, you have to pay taxes on that coupon. the SNAP won't cover any taxes and you are always taxed on coupons.
In California, food isn't taxed, so I can't comment to that, but it does cover bottle deposits. I'd be really surprised if the taxes were NOT covered on foods that are SNAP approved.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #48
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Blessings
Yep. This.

Learned it the hard way after having no cash on me. It kind of makes me wonder if it discourages families from couponing if they qualify, they probably arent carrying cash too often?
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #49
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My budget is $100-150 per week, I use coupons and I have a commissary. We don't buy grains, sugar, or processed food, and the only canned goods I get are tomatoes and coconut milk. I DO buy frozen veggies and have yet to have a problem with cross contamination (gluten allergy), I buy frozen meat, and frozen fruit too because half the time the produce is absolute crap, at least the frozen stuff was picked when ripe and flash frozen. Anyway all that to say, we couldn't eat well if I had to buy on the economy. I can see $4 per person being "doable" but it would be a struggle for us.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #50
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do think SNAP could be much better implemented. We get $150/mo and it is a huge help to us. We're very thrifty with it and even that amount goes really far for our family of 5. But there are many who don't have the time/resources to shop/cook the way we do, and for them, double what we get and it wouldn't take them as far! There had to be a way of educating and encouraging people to use what they have (whether its SNAP or out of pocket cash) in the most frugal way possible! I just don't know how you'd do that...

And then you do have those who just don't want to put any extra work in. I'm really trying to start up a cd ministry/advocacy group in my area, but keep running into hang ups because so many would rather just be given the "easy" option that they don't have to spray or wash. Even when they can't afford to buy it themselves, they still don't want to take giveaways that would cause extra work. :/

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is online now   Reply With Quote