Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #61
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Found this blog about Snap Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Indiana also has no tax on food....but has exceptions. Junk foods and candies do have sales tax. I have no idea how Indiana determines what is a junk food/candy and what isn't. Some bags of M&Ms had tax, other kinds didn't, and both could be purchased with SNAP cards. Likewise, if you go to the Deli at Walmart and pick up a rotisserie chicken, you can use a SNAP card for that, but since the tax system figures it as part of the taxes you would pay like if you went to McDs. That doesn't explain it right, I hope that's clear.

Basically, even in states with no tax on food, there are some strange overlaps between the tax system and the SNAP system so there are going to be some foods that you will have to pay taxes on that SNAP will still cover.
This changes every now and then. When we used to be on food stamps at first you could get rotisserie chicken but a few months before we went off foodstamps it was no longer covered. May have changed again since then.

It is weird to me when a random junk food item gets taxed. Luckily we don't buy much junk food

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #62
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby

This changes every now and then. When we used to be on food stamps at first you could get rotisserie chicken but a few months before we went off foodstamps it was no longer covered. May have changed again since then.

It is weird to me when a random junk food item gets taxed. Luckily we don't buy much junk food
There's a fried chicken place here that will sell you uncooked chicken and charge you for cooking it. I know it has to be uncooked here for you to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #63
WyattsMommy09
Registered Users
seller

$4 a day per person would give us an extra $80 to shop with, and I don't even spend our entire budget! I would be able to cook up some goooooood steaks with that! I miss a good steak. Not one of the thin, all bone Food for Less steaks. A niiice think juicy one... ::

I haven't had steak in soooo long. Mainly because we don't have a grill, but still. Now I want steak and baked potatoes with shrimp and some broccoli.

I digress.

But not only do I spend less on my groceries than the challenge (with a husband on a high-calorie diet and 2 toddlers who eat like their daddy), but I manage to make healthy meals. I think the problem is so many people DON'T know what a healthy meal it. They load up on carbs and meat, and vegetable are minimal. If you simply cut out 1-2 meat meals a WEEK, you free up a good amount of money. I implemented a 4 day no meat rule this month, and I saved SO much money on my groceries this week. And its filling. But so many people think you NEED meat, and it HAS to be this huge serving. And its expensive.

I just think EVERYONE should be required to take a nutrition class. No one seems to know how to eat right. And it definitely shows
WyattsMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #64
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattsMommy09 View Post
$4 a day per person would give us an extra $80 to shop with, and I don't even spend our entire budget! I would be able to cook up some goooooood steaks with that! I miss a good steak. Not one of the thin, all bone Food for Less steaks. A niiice think juicy one... ::

I haven't had steak in soooo long. Mainly because we don't have a grill, but still. Now I want steak and baked potatoes with shrimp and some broccoli.

I digress.

But not only do I spend less on my groceries than the challenge (with a husband on a high-calorie diet and 2 toddlers who eat like their daddy), but I manage to make healthy meals. I think the problem is so many people DON'T know what a healthy meal it. They load up on carbs and meat, and vegetable are minimal. If you simply cut out 1-2 meat meals a WEEK, you free up a good amount of money. I implemented a 4 day no meat rule this month, and I saved SO much money on my groceries this week. And its filling. But so many people think you NEED meat, and it HAS to be this huge serving. And its expensive.

I just think EVERYONE should be required to take a nutrition class. No one seems to know how to eat right. And it definitely shows
Please forgive me, but I totally at this, because I feel the exact same way.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #65
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joluru

I'm not clear that the example this comes from was happening in California. I've never had this happen, and I used coupons to get overages when I was on SNAP years ago. One time, I left with a dozen boxes of cereal and $6 in store catalinas by using coupons and sales, and didn't pay any tax at all.
I just remembered to check this thread, but I'm in Maryland, and we don't pay tax on food. Milk and bread should be considered food, so that's why I was confused when they charged me $.07. No big deal, really. I will still use coupons to stretch our $151/ month, even if I have to pay a few cents to use them. I still made $.72 off of 3 boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk!
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #66
sdavis514
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
There's a fried chicken place here that will sell you uncooked chicken and charge you for cooking it. I know it has to be uncooked here for you to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

There is a crab place here that does that. They allow you to purchase "uncooked" dozens of crabs with SNAP and then charge you $2 a dozen to steam them. That is how they get around the "no prepared food" rule that most states have on their SNAP benefits.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #67
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

what is snap`?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #68
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
what is snap`?
SNAP is food stamps. they changed the name of it. it stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #69
3girlsallnaughty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyZ of 2

I just remembered to check this thread, but I'm in Maryland, and we don't pay tax on food. Milk and bread should be considered food, so that's why I was confused when they charged me $.07. No big deal, really. I will still use coupons to stretch our $151/ month, even if I have to pay a few cents to use them. I still made $.72 off of 3 boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk!
That's an awesome deal!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #70
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

dude. On snap, my grocery budget would be like $1024 a month. lol. Um....I spend about $550 a month INCLUDING non food items. Yeah....I think we'd all be about 400 lbs if I got that much $ to shop with!

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote