Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
janellenowitzke
Registered Users
seller

Laundry wearing down diapers

I have been using bottombumpers, bought in EUC, for over a year. But the insert seems to break down quickly with my washing routine. They are always so fluffy and soft when I get them, but after a month of use, they lose this and seem to start wearing down. I use Allens Naturally cloth diaper detergent. Is it the drying of them? Is it a common problem with bamboo? Anyone have advice or experience with this? Otherwise I LOVE my bottombumpers.

Advertisement

janellenowitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellenowitzke
I have been using bottombumpers, bought in EUC, for over a year. But the insert seems to break down quickly with my washing routine. They are always so fluffy and soft when I get them, but after a month of use, they lose this and seem to start wearing down. I use Allens Naturally cloth diaper detergent. Is it the drying of them? Is it a common problem with bamboo? Anyone have advice or experience with this? Otherwise I LOVE my bottombumpers.
I've noticed this too, I get diapers in great condition and within a few months they are looking ragged, especially bottom bumpers, which are super soft anyway.

Will watch to see what people say!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mine are still in great shape, have been in heavy use for 10 months. I use bac out on poopy ones, mainstream enzyme containing detergents, bleach or oxyclean or borax every load, sanitary cycles often, 7th gen fabric softener, and the dryer. If I had to pick what keeps them soft I 'd say fabric softener no holes or wear beyond aplix wear around the loop strip, elastic and PUL still good.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Laundry wearing down diapers

Part of it may depend on how many diapers you have in rotation. I have a large stash, but some of the most heavily-used diapers were the premium prefolds -- I used them as naptime diaper inserts and they would get soaked. I'm sure that sitting, soaked, in urine and being used heavily over 2 1/2 years has contributed to the wear holes I now see on the outside of the fabric.

Most fabrics will, in time, start to show signs of use/age. They thin out, sometimes the surface starts to wear away, small holes...

Are your inserts simply compressing/losing loft, or do you find they are less absorbent as well? As long as they have the same absorbency, the fabric is probably fine

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

They might have just set free a bunch of lint, if you aren't having function problems...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
janellenowitzke
Registered Users
seller

The seem to actually wear down and lose absorbancy. Not right away but after a year of diapering, I've had to buy new inserts. My stash is of about 24 diapers so they are being used every other day or so.
janellenowitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellenowitzke
The seem to actually wear down and lose absorbancy. Not right away but after a year of diapering, I've had to buy new inserts. My stash is of about 24 diapers so they are being used every other day or so.
Wait, so you buy them used, use them another year, and then they start to wear down? That seems normal to me... if you were washing a pair of jeans every 2 days for well over a year, they would get worn down too... it's fabric, it doesn't last a million years. Am I missing something here?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
erv0207
Registered Users
seller

it depends on the brand but I use Charlie's and sometimes soak in Oxyclean on the fuzzibunz, but no fabric softner because the directions say not to use it. They are still very soft.
erv0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

that is totally normal. 24 diapers really isn't a large rotation at all so they are getting A LOT of wear. Think about it this way- if you've had them for a year and rotated them evenly they have been washed probably 200 times or so! Can you imagine how much wear that puts on the fabric fibers? It's just use, it happens. If you want to prevent it build up a bigger stash so the diapers get less wear in a rotation. =]
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote