Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Cassie330
Registered Users

Dieting while breastfeeding...

Is it possible? I still have some baby weight to lose, but I'm really nervous to try dieting... Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Cassie330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dieting while breastfeeding...

I would recommend exercising more, versus dieting. After that I would think just eating healthy, NOT eating/snacking when not hungry, and smaller portion sizes to give you time to evaluate if you really need more (lunch/dinner/etc) or are you just finishing your plate.

With BF I think that is a healthier approach. Slower maybe, but healthier and wouldn't have to worry.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I only eat when I am hungry, which is not too often. I also drink my weight in water per day. I have lost over 50 lbs doing this. My milk is good as I have been solely nursing for nearly 9 months with great growth.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't really "diet" just eat a lot healthier and exercise more.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
lizcherry88
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm exclusively BFing and did some research on dieting while BFing is safe.. I can't post links yet, but I google'd "weight watchers while breastfeeding" and found a helpful link from Weight Watcher's website.

I just signed up for Weight Watchers, which is perfectly healthy as long as you increase your milk, veggies and fruits intake. That link I found outlines the gist of it, but I'm excited to start myself! If I remember to, I'll update on here as I go
lizcherry88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I did WW while breastfeeding two kids in 2007 and had great success. Now, I wasn't nursing twins and my older son was only nursing a few times a day, so I didn't really count that. I can't remember but I don't think WW recommends their program if you are nursing twins. Anyway, I got about 10 extra points per day (this was an old plan so current recs are probably different) and it was a TON of food! I loved it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

eat healthy snacks and cardio helped me second time around til I got pregnant again, walking did nothing second time around, leg lifts if you can, and torso twists. Dieting starves you for 1 and 2 as on biggest loser you want to keep up to be able to have stuff to burn and want to stay out of the store the fat and all which starving does for you. If you baby wear that helps for the extra weight (like doing weightlifting) as you do chores and all....
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
doulaK
Registered Users
seller

The problem with short term dieting is that the weight usually comes back. Making a lifestyle change, even little changes at first, is where you will see the results! I have a fb page and group for people losing the baby weight without dieting, but exercising and changing their diets.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use WW while breast feeding also. Have had great success after both kids.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used My Fitness Pal while exclusively breastfeeding. You can add a "food" each day by searching breastfeeding and it will give you many options. It adds calories to your day since you are nursing. Like 500 extra for exclusively nursing a baby under 6 months etc. Lots of options to choose from. I never had any issues with supply. Nursed both my girls til they were 14 and 15 months old while counting calories. Good Luck!!