Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Sophia&Daria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
half marathon - what i need to know

I'm planning on running the hakf marathon early May next year. Three weeks ago I started the TurboFire Challenge which is 6 days a week workout so i can't handle running more than once a week. But I'm starting 7 months in advance so that shouldn't be an issue right?

I have a treadmill but it doesn't show distance and time. I can't really run outside bc i have 3 little ones.

So where do i start?

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
massie2012
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: half marathon - what i need to know

Congrats on starting the Turbo Fire challenge and good luck, how has it been going? I love Turbo-as far as the running goes there are site online that take you to half marathon in about 12 weeks, that what I used. If you want to start running on your treadmill maybe time your self and go from there. Good luck!
massie2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Sophia&Daria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by massie2012
Congrats on starting the Turbo Fire challenge and good luck, how has it been going? I love Turbo-as far as the running goes there are site online that take you to half marathon in about 12 weeks, that what I used. If you want to start running on your treadmill maybe time your self and go from there. Good luck!
Turbo is going well. I'm losing a pound a week. It is kind of tough on my joints though. My knees and ankles hurt some times. Have you done it?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Jlg325j
Registered Users

Good Luck with Turbo Fire, I keep wanting to try it! How long are the work outs?
Jlg325j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Sophia&Daria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlg325j
Good Luck with Turbo Fire, I keep wanting to try it! How long are the work outs?
Varies. She provides a schedule. From 15 mins to one hour.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia&Daria
I'm planning on running the hakf marathon early May next year. Three weeks ago I started the TurboFire Challenge which is 6 days a week workout so i can't handle running more than once a week. But I'm starting 7 months in advance so that shouldn't be an issue right?

I have a treadmill but it doesn't show distance and time. I can't really run outside bc i have 3 little ones.

So where do i start?
I think you would be okay running one day a week for now but you will want to try to increase that to 3 days a week. Maybe not do turbofire 6 days a week so you can still get your running in.

There are lots of different half marathon training plans out there where you run 3 days a week. Do a Google search and find one that works for you. Most of the plans are 12-18 weeks long but you will want to be running a bit before that so you have a starting base.

As for the treadmill, I would be sure to set the incline on 2 and try to go by time. Using the slight incline will help mimic outdoor conditions. Most people find running outside more difficult then on a treadmill because of natural elevation. I would probably try to get in one outdoor run a week (preferably the long run) once you start the half marathon training plan. That way you will have at least one run a week where you know for sure you are doing the distance.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

If I were you, I would try a 5k program. Are you brand new to running? The Couch to 5k is a great program and there are many other similar plans out there.

Start small and and keep increasing your distance little by little. You will need a lot more than just 12 weeks to train for a half if you are starting from scratch. I started running last August and will be doing my first half marathon in December. I've done countless 5ks, a 10k, and a mud run/obstacle course over that last year. I'm in the process of training for my half and still have "Can I really do this??" moments. I don't mean to discourage you because I'm sure you can do it if you really want it, I would just hate for you to get in over your head and get hurt or frustrated. Check out the Runner's World website. There is a forum there with lots of help for beginners.

Can you run in the early am before your DH goes to work or in the evening when he gets home? I only run outside and have no treadmill experience so I can't really speak to that.

Good luck and keep us updated! And congrats on the weight loss and getting started on an exercise plan. The first step is always the hardest.

Last edited by mebl0901; 10-07-2012 at 04:54 PM.
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely get into a training program. I found a great one last year online. It was 8 weeks and aimed for beginners. You run 4x/wk with one of those runs being a "long run".

Get a good pair of shoes. Seriously, this is the most important thing in my book. Go to a good shoe store that will fit you properly. Usually you will wear 1 size larger in running shoes than what you would your average shoe to allow your feet room for expansion during running.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

Ya I recommend Couch to 5K also! I ran my first 5K last March and found out I was pregnant 3 days later... I think it helped with TTC. When I'm don having this baby and PP 6 weeks, (mid January), I'll be starting back up again

There is a free app that you can get on your phone, it beeps at you when it is time to switch between running and walking. Just remember that training on a treadmill is easier then training outside, so at some point you will have to make the switch!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bump