Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Poo AND detergent smell ugh!!!

I just had this same problem and it was because my diapers weren't rinsing clean. I had tried tide and it was working really good and the second time I washed them- the diapers smelled like poo and detergent. It turned out I had grabbed the wrong type of Tide. I have a Front Loader and it is an HE machine ( many FL are High Efficiency machines) and I had grabbed regular Tide- not the Tide for HE machines. The front loader you are using- is it an HE washer? If so you need to make sure your detergent, no matter what brand you use, is made specifically for HE washers.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammy
I just had this same problem and it was because my diapers weren't rinsing clean. I had tried tide and it was working really good and the second time I washed them- the diapers smelled like poo and detergent. It turned out I had grabbed the wrong type of Tide. I have a Front Loader and it is an HE machine ( many FL are High Efficiency machines) and I had grabbed regular Tide- not the Tide for HE machines. The front loader you are using- is it an HE washer? If so you need to make sure your detergent, no matter what brand you use, is made specifically for HE washers.
So I FINALLY got my diapers clean!!!!

Full cycle warm wash - no detergent
Full cycle hot wash - tide 1 line
Full cycle cold wash - no detergent

They came out soft and stink free. It took 3.5 hours!! My daughter literally hugged her prefolds and snuggled her face into them.

AND I realized my Tide is NOT HE Tide. The washer doesn't say HE on it, and I know it is old, but I think HE would work better anyway.

We will be hooking up out Haier soon (top loader), but I will be dealing with tap water again. The tap water at my house is hard, so I'm thinking I will get some calgon to add with the Tide?? Thats what many people here have recommended.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #23
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lots of great info in this thread. We just switched to an HE FL and I'm "tweaking" my routine. Does anyone know, when I'm adding Borax or Calgon, where do I add it?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23
Lots of great info in this thread. We just switched to an HE FL and I'm "tweaking" my routine. Does anyone know, when I'm adding Borax or Calgon, where do I add it?
So, now that I switched washers (to a tl) and back to hard water, I've been adding Borax to the wash cycle. Since its a top loader, I let it fill up half way with water then add 1/2 cup of borax. With the front loaders I've used I think I would add the liquid to the dispenser first, let it kind of drain, then add the borax. (???) I'm sure it depends on the machine, but you'd want it in there with the detergent during the wash cycle.

I switched to Target up and up free and clear detergent and this combo for me works great.
My routine:

Warm prewash with 1/2 cup of Borax for really bad poo dipes - otherwise nothing
Hot wash with detergent plus borax
Cold rinse
Cold rinse with Ecover fabric softener

So far so good, but, like I said, I have a top loader now. With a front loader (especially HE) I'd likely use half these amounts.