Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
worried......Topamax....

I have been on topamax for a while for migraines BUT its category D.......I juuust got a faint positive this morning....yep, this was a SURPRISE!!! I had started suspected something was up a couple days ago and quit taking the topamax even though I got a negative hpt. Figured I would rather not risk it til AF showed up.
Anyway, the risk with Topamax is for cleft palates.

Once I let hubby know, I will call my midwife and maybe we can do an early sono to rule out cleft problems.
:'(

Thoughts and prayers appreciated. Thanks mamas!!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: worried......Topamax....

I was on Topamax for my migraines as well, did the same thing you did- stopping while suspicious and I was actually farther along that I had thought. My son had no issues pertaining the topamax but he was checked as much as he could be in the womb. So keep that in mind, that a perfectly healthy 10 month old afterwards could be in your future just like mine
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
bluecandi
seller

My Mood:
Did your neurologist tell you to cold turkey off of it or taper down? I called mine.....just waiting to hear back.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
Did your neurologist tell you to cold turkey off of it or taper down? I called mine.....just waiting to hear back.
Taper down but I freaked and did cold turkey. Which wasn't bad at all. Just a little edgey for a couple days. And of course, super hurtful migraines followed.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
stephbrown13
Registered Users

I was on topamax (200mg/day if I remember correctly) for migraines when I got pg with DS1. I found out at around 6 weeks and tapered off. I went on to have an uneventful pregnancy, peaceful homebirth, and he's now a healthy super smart 2.5 year old. Also, pregnancy cured my reoccurring migraines! I'd had them BAD for years... to the point where I would loose vision, pass out, have to go to the ER for a shot. They had also become very frequent. I had tried *everything* to get rid of them, over the counter meds, diet changes, chiropractor, acupuncture, hormone therapy, thyroid medication, at least 6 different prescription meds/nose sprays. Topamax was the ONLY thing that finally worked. I had a few migraines in my first trimester (but not "bad" ones, just normal migraines) then the rest of the pregnancy was fine and they didn't return after he was born either. When I was pregnant with DS2 I also had a few during the first trimester but that was it. So hopefully pregnancy is a cure for you too!
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
bluecandi
seller

My Mood:
Ok midwife called finally. YAY!! She wants me to take extra folic acid and she will refer me to a perinatalogist for a scan to rule out anything....but not til later.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
I was also on Topamax when I discovered I was pregnant with a surprise baby. The OB had me wean off of it and my daughter is just perfect
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote