Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV
I just stumbled across this thread because I was interested to see what others were using to take their bbt. I don't know much about temping, and this month is the first time I've ever done it. Why do you need a specific bbt thermometer? I've been using just a normal digital thermometer. Now I'm thinking my chart is totally inaccurate.
A basal thermometer measures temperatures by 10th’s of a degree whereas most fever thermometers measure in two-tenth degree increments. So with a BBT you are getting 96.45 and with a regular thermometer you're getting 96.5 that's a big difference!

Advertisement

Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
mvp529
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDeanette

A basal thermometer measures temperatures by 10th’s of a degree whereas most fever thermometers measure in two-tenth degree increments. So with a BBT you are getting 96.45 and with a regular thermometer you're getting 96.5 that's a big difference!
Funny cuz years ago I ordered a whole NFP packet which included a BBT. I still use it but it only measure by a tenth-98.4

I have used it for years with no problem and can still see my shifts and all. Funny, BBT must have meant differently 8 yrs ago lol.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Best BBT thermometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
I just stumbled across this thread because I was interested to see what others were using to take their bbt. I don't know much about temping, and this month is the first time I've ever done it. Why do you need a specific bbt thermometer? I've been using just a normal digital thermometer. Now I'm thinking my chart is totally inaccurate.
The temperature chnages in your body during your menstrual cycle are very subtle. They require a thermometer that works to the hundereths placement (0.01) to detect the tiny fluctuations that the menstrual cycle provides. THe regular thermomenters only go to the tenths place (0.1) and are rarely accurate in using for this reason.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Ok, so my af just ended yesterday, do you think I could start over with a bbt thermometer or is it too late? I know I'll be missing some data. Would it be best to wait until next cycle then? Sorry for interrupting this thread.
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Ok, so my af just ended yesterday, do you think I could start over with a bbt thermometer or is it too late? I know I'll be missing some data. Would it be best to wait until next cycle then? Sorry for interrupting this thread.
Getting one will just help you out. I woudl go get one and start using it as it is so early in your cycle.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Definitely get one and start now... some women don't even begin temping until AF is over so you are fine to begin your chart now!
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #18
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't mind the hijack. Some good information here. I went to the store last night and got one. I'm excited to get this going!
pine_apple_goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

I got one yesterday too! My temp was a little lower this morning, not sure if it was because of the thermometer. 36.22 C instead of 36.5, sorry I'm not sure what that is in Fahrenheit (I'm from Canada), I'll have to look up a conversion scale.
*TinyJoys* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
pine_apple_goat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just plugged it into google, looks like 97.19

My night last night was all messed up sleeping so I didn't start today. I plan on starting tomorrow.
pine_apple_goat is online now   Reply With Quote