Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Alipop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sbish flats sizing help and advice

I am currently trying to build my stash for my lo, due in march and could really use some help figuring what would work best for us. I cloth diapered with my daughter, but she is now 14 yrs and there are a lot more choices. With her I used motherease one size and wool soakers at night. I originally intended to go the same route again, but then I discovered sbish and I love them so much more. I want to use a combination of the snapless and bamboo flats as these are the most economical (I may buy a few fitteds for my dh as he is already struggling with the cloth diaper concept lol). My question is, how many of each should I get? I want to start from a newborn, so was going to get the flats for that stage - I thought I could use them as doublers later on. But what size? My older dd was 9.8 when she was born, so I think the xs would be outgrown pretty much right away. But would the smalls be huge on a newborn? Plus there are no guarantees this baby will be as big (I'd be ok with a pound or two smaller lol). I could really use some help. Also, I would love to do wool covers only, even during the day as my first dd had really sensitive skin and I struggled to keep her comfortable until I discovered wool. How many covers would I need for daytime use? I was thinking of a combination of imse vimse/biobottom wraps and sbish underwoolies - whichever I can find for less. Thanks for any help - I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

Advertisement

Alipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Sbish flats sizing help and advice

We use a lot of Sbish. My son is a bit chunky and only slimming out now because he just started walking. We used the mediums from around 10 pounds to around 20 pounds and then moved into larges. The mediums then turned into stuffings for BG 4.0's or Flips. They fit perfectly in those on the all the way unsnapped settings so if you end up wanting pockets or Flips later down the line, at least you know they will fit in those. We skipped smalls because the absorbency was just too much and too bulky for my son when he was little enough to wear smalls. He was less than two months old and wasn't peeing large enough amounts for a diaper that bulky. I have one or two and we never really used them. For that stage, I went with Mandi's Menagerie bamboo fleece or bamboo velour prefolds, which were trim and perfect for his size snappied.

I think using a small Sbish flat as a doubler in anything would be just too bulky. I can't imagine it being comfortable. I loved the mediums, though. We have a couple dozen.

For wool - I highly recommend getting some CC Baby (on Hyena Cart) surprise wool covers. Have her lanolize them. I tried a few of her smalls and when we grew into the mediums, what we are in now, I ordered a half dozen and they are bulletproof. Our Sbish are not bulletproof. I think I got three or four of the CC Baby upcycled covers for the price of one of our Sbish covers. We have a few Sbish covers and they just sit in a drawer because the CC Baby ones are so great. Sbish for diapers though I think are the best. We use the OBF fitteds overnight and Snapless for naps.

Hope that helps
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
seacat
Registered Users
seller

My youngest is now ten months and he was around nine pounds. I started with the smalls no need for the XS. They now have the snapless minis which I would get a few of if I was to have a newborn. The under woollies have a really high rise and I prefer wraps for newborns. I would get lovey bums jersey and interlock. I like imse vimse for a pul cover. We use obfs for night and snapless for naps also. I round out my stash GMD workhorses and prefolds.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

My baby was 9 lbs 2 oz and they fit her perfectly from that size or around 10 lbs to maybe 12-13 lbs when I sized up to smalls. I really loved the extra small, I think small would be a little bulky on a newborn in the 9ish range, but totally doable. This is an XS at about 10 lbs. or so.

Last edited by momgoddess; 10-03-2012 at 01:28 AM.
momgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
mamamarisa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

honestly id get something cheap for the nb size since it will be outgrown so quick, buy smalls and if your baby happens to be on the bigger side like your older(which is typical), then you wouldnt have invested so much into something not used as much. id get gmd prefolds for nb and then start your sbish stash at sz small. gmd has their nb fitteds clearanced right now for $18/6 so that makes them $3 each
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Alipop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone for the help. I've decided to go with 24 sbish mini snapless & 12 xsmall flats for the newborn stage. They are expensive, but I should be able to resell for a good price I think. And I think staying with the same style dipe for both stages will help my husband out. Too many choices just confuse him lol. Then just 24 sbish os snapless plus 6 med and 6 large flats. I wont bother with the small flats as the mini snapless should fit the same size range, so I'll have more then enough dipes for the 10-15 lb stage. I know I could get by with just 24 dipes total in the OS, but I like having a few extra on hand just in case. And the flats are nice to have when you need some dried quickly. And I'll get some good doublers which will hopefully be enough if we need extra nighttime absorbency. I can always pick up a couple of the OBF sized dipes if we really need the extra absorbency at night. As for the covers - I'm still figuring that out lol at least I have the diapers planned now
Alipop is offline   Reply With Quote