Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:
The Bumpy Sock Revolt

Every morning we go through a series of putting on socks and shoes, taking Off the socks and shoes...at least 3 times while getting dressed for school. I buy new socks for Chase quite frequently because of the major meltdown that occurs if his socks are slightly pilly. I shave his socks to make them last longer lol! But now, we're having issues with the toe seam bugging him...Does anyone else have this problem? Any Mamas know where I can find completely seamless socks in little boy sizes?

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Bumpy Sock Revolt

I grew up with a sister with sensory concerns. One of the many was the sock issue. There are quite a few options for you to try. In fact there is a company called SmartKnitKids that is specifically for this. I think Hanes makes them too but they were not quite as smooth. This is pretty common. My sister also could not have any tags in her clothes and you had to cut them right to the seam. I know several kids that cannot stand to wear structured bottoms like jeans or chinos. Elastic waist knit cotton only. Hang in there.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, he can only wear pull on elasticized waist shorts and pants...no buttons, zippers, nor front or back pockets. The toe seam though is relatively new.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, they look perfect! I have a question on sizing though, he wears a 12 so would that be a medium?

Last edited by Chasing Zen; 09-21-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: thanks
Chasing Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried any sensory diets for him? Sometimes having regular sensory input helps some of the other stuff calm down a bit. One of our friends has had a lot of success with weighted vests and blankets.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Fun and function has sensory socks.

We had this issue with my oldest to the point of self injury. It was awful. So we skipped socks. Now they make special socks for sensory sensitive kids. I wish they had them 15 years ago!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is nice to be able to find things. My sister wore no socks quite a bit and her little feet were so stinky
Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went thru this with DD1..every morning it was sock issues. I tried knee highs, anklets, tube socks, bobbie socks, no socks. For awhile it worked to put the socks inside out so the seam did not touch her foot. She seems to be better now in gold toe socks that are the really short anklets (the ones that do not roll at all). After the socks came the pant issues no leggins since they were tight on her legs, no jeans because they were itchy. I had to find fleece elastic waist style pants (I actually gave her her brothers old ones). She seems to have outgrown some of it in the last year so I have hope she may outgrow all together.
I also found if here shoes were "wide" in the toe area it helped since she did not feel it so much.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Interestingly enough I had this issue growing up. My mom was very unsympathetic and wouldn't buy new socks so I turned them inside out which was at least slightly better. Hope you find something and good for you for caring about the stress this causes him (most people just don't understand and want you to "get over it")

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Have you tried any sensory diets for him? Sometimes having regular sensory input helps some of the other stuff calm down a bit. One of our friends has had a lot of success with weighted vests and blankets.
I haven't Honestly, when he was a baby and toddler, his doctor told me he was High Needs/Highly Sensitive. We've just made our way by avoiding as many of the things that stress him out as we can. I didn't realize there were so many things to help out there. Our oldest has Asperger's, so I kinda view Chase's issues as just little quirks we need to work with just like we do with Connor.

I definitely need to do more research
Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
allhiskids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh the dreaded toeline! We have spent many, many hours, days, months, years dealing with this. She is 24 so it's been a while but I say fine a style that works and buy stock. And pray they fit forever.

Kathy Mama to Isaac 7-25 , Grace , Charlie , Heather
allhiskids is offline   Reply With Quote