Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #41
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988
Have you looked to make sure your usage hasn't gone up, but actually your rates? Our water rates went up, and we are now paying $15 more a month than we were 8 months ago (actually, it's up $30, since our landlord pays 1/2 the water bill). But, we are washing LESS laundry than we used to. 8 months ago, we had a newborn and 1 year old in cloth full time, I was washing 2 loads of diapers every 2 days. I'm now down to 1 load every 2-3 days, still with 2 in cloth full time. I also wash less clothes laundry since the baby is usually just in a onesie and baby legs, when as a newbie he wore a onesie, sleeper, and usually a blanket too. So we wash less, but pay more now.
I didn't even think to check this!

Brb...

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #42
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988
Have you looked to make sure your usage hasn't gone up, but actually your rates? Our water rates went up, and we are now paying $15 more a month than we were 8 months ago (actually, it's up $30, since our landlord pays 1/2 the water bill). But, we are washing LESS laundry than we used to. 8 months ago, we had a newborn and 1 year old in cloth full time, I was washing 2 loads of diapers every 2 days. I'm now down to 1 load every 2-3 days, still with 2 in cloth full time. I also wash less clothes laundry since the baby is usually just in a onesie and baby legs, when as a newbie he wore a onesie, sleeper, and usually a blanket too. So we wash less, but pay more now.
Checked our bills. Definitely usage and not rates.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #43
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Update:

I've tried several tips already this week!

The "soak for a couple hours then warm cycle + rinse" WORKED!!!!!! :-D. And on a seriously nasty load of diapers, too I might add. Seriously.

We've been letting the yellow mellow, being mindful of not running faucets continuously during use, and saving up shower water for flushing. I actually used the leftover wet pail water to flush even. I'm feeling pretty green. :-)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #44
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to lower water bill

I'm in Canada and prices on things like food and diapers are def. higher, but we use sposies and it's under $50 a month. I buy the second to largest boxes of Pampers available but ONLY when they're on sale. I get a lot of Pampers coupons, usually for $2 to $2.50 off. A box of 100 sposies will end up costing me around $22 after sale/coupons, sometimes less. I use about 1.5 boxes a month, so a cost of $33 a month. I can buy a box of refill wipes on sale with a coupon for around $7 and probably go through about half the box or less a month. So around $37 for me to sposie DS2 for the month.

I know it really is very dependent on a lot of factors whether CD'ing is more cost effective or not. It just wasn't cost effective for us.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #45
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

I'm in Canada and prices on things like food and diapers are def. higher, but we use sposies and it's under $50 a month. I buy the second to largest boxes of Pampers available but ONLY when they're on sale. I get a lot of Pampers coupons, usually for $2 to $2.50 off. A box of 100 sposies will end up costing me around $22 after sale/coupons, sometimes less. I use about 1.5 boxes a month, so a cost of $33 a month. I can buy a box of refill wipes on sale with a coupon for around $7 and probably go through about half the box or less a month. So around $37 for me to sposie DS2 for the month.

I know it really is very dependent on a lot of factors whether CD'ing is more cost effective or not. It just wasn't cost effective for us.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #46
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

didn't read all responses....

When I had a top load washer, I would fill it with rain water I collected and use the rain water to wash clothes with.

You can also wash dishes with rain water, but be sure to put a little bleach in. It also depends on how/where you collect your water if you can use it for dishes.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #47
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniBee

What kind of diapers were you using?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #48
silvergirl0007
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I have my own complaint. At least 2 posters mention sposie diapers costing less than $50 per month. We sposied our first child 13 years ago. Back then we were spending $50 every 4 weeks. Sometimes this meant not changing as often as really was needed because we were getting low before pay day. Now I know prices on other things have not gone down. I don't get how people are getting diapers so cheaply.
I just bought a box of 264 Luvs diapers on Amazon for $27 after tax through Amazon mom. I have a 1 month old which averages 8.8 diapers per day or a change every 3 hours. It will last about a month. I also got a 6 pack of the "refills" for less than $10 through Amazon so diapers and wipes cost me less than $40 for the month. It's definitely possible.
silvergirl0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #49
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could buy up&up for under $50 a month. Wipes cost about $13 every two months.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #50
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I guess my kid is just weird. He goes through at least 8 diapers a day at 15 months old (he usually poops 2-3 times a day). As a newborn, he went through around 15 a day b/c of all the poop. We are fortunate to have cheap water in my area so CD'ing is a no-brainer here.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote