Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #51
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to lower water bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Update:

I've tried several tips already this week!

The "soak for a couple hours then warm cycle + rinse" WORKED!!!!!! :-D. And on a seriously nasty load of diapers, too I might add. Seriously.

We've been letting the yellow mellow, being mindful of not running faucets continuously during use, and saving up shower water for flushing. I actually used the leftover wet pail water to flush even. I'm feeling pretty green. :-)
Glad that idea clicked. Im in India.....washing machines werent the norm growing up. It still isnt for a lot of people in the cities. And neither is running water for some. So,they end up washing in buckets in their bathrooms/backyards and line drying. Very green.

People in rural areas,esp'lly those living near rivers, wash their clothes at the riverbank...with kids splashing nearby. What luck! Its looks so idyllic when we pass them by while travelling.

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #52
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
You could try washing the clothes on cold only. And only running the dishwasher at night. (Think that might save you more on your electricity though.....scratching my head lol) good luck!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #53
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I have an idea...
How is your washing machine plumbed? Ours the rinse hose is just inserted into a drain hole in the wall. My parents the rinse hose was just sitting inside a laundry tub.

SO I was thinking if you are doing an extra rinse by that point the diapers are already clean right and you are just rinsing out the extra soap ... SO why not get a large bucket and instead of letting that extra rinse go down the drain catch it and use it either again in the washer or to flush toilets etc?

We are in a drought right now and I might actually try this since it would save our well!

Last edited by mg5g; 10-10-2012 at 10:53 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #54
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg
I have an idea...
How is your washing machine plumbed? Ours the rinse hose is just inserted into a drain hole in the wall. My parents the rinse hose was just sitting inside a laundry tub.

SO I was thinking if you are doing an extra rinse by that point the diapers are already clean right and you are just rinsing out the extra soap ... SO why not get a large bucket and instead of letting that extra rinse go down the drain catch it and use it either again in the washer or to flush toilets etc?

We are in a drought right now and I might actually try this since it would save our well!
I'll have to ask our landlord/in-laws. I'm pretty sure it goes into the wall somehow as it's built straight into a closet with the bare minimum clearance all around.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #55
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Maybe i change my kids a lot, but we still go through at least 10 diapers a day for my 3 year old. I change her every time she pees or poops, or every 1.5 hours (no matter what). Same with my yds. I used 1 wipe for normal diapers, but 3 for dirty (that is cloth, more for disposable). With newborns, I swear I was changing at least every hour, maybe every 2 through the night...I remember one day we went through 24 diapers in 1 day.

Do my kids just pee/poop a lot?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #56
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee02
Maybe i change my kids a lot, but we still go through at least 10 diapers a day for my 3 year old. I change her every time she pees or poops, or every 1.5 hours (no matter what). Same with my yds. I used 1 wipe for normal diapers, but 3 for dirty (that is cloth, more for disposable). With newborns, I swear I was changing at least every hour, maybe every 2 through the night...I remember one day we went through 24 diapers in 1 day.

Do my kids just pee/poop a lot?
I think most kids probably eliminate the same amounts, but may be able to hold it longer so it's the same amount but less diapers... Does that make sense? And some people expect diapers to hold A LOT and leave their kids in soiled/wet diapers until they are soaked through. I prefer the method you described so that they learn to prefer feeling clean and immediately recognize and dislike the feeling of being wet/soiled, and learn early to communicate about it.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #57
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I have my own complaint. At least 2 posters mention sposie diapers costing less than $50 per month. We sposied our first child 13 years ago. Back then we were spending $50 every 4 weeks. Sometimes this meant not changing as often as really was needed because we were getting low before pay day. Now I know prices on other things have not gone down. I don't get how people are getting diapers so cheaply.
I could be a cost of living thing. I can get a box of 124 sposies for $19. I can get them cheaper on sale and with coupon, but that is regular price. If I change 5 diapers a day (which would be all we would have to with sposies since my DD is 12 months), that would get us through 25 days. I could easily sposie diaper for $30 a month. Now...when she was younger we changed her more often, but then you get more diapers to a package also.

With that being said, washing CDs don't increase our water usage by much at all, and I'm using the CDs I bought and used (for probably $5 or less each) with my DS, so this is still the much cheaper route for us!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #58
stephbrown13
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica377 View Post
Just a note - be careful with the brick - it can break down and cause issues for your toilet. The recommendation I have heard is to use a half gallon jug of water instead
You can also use plastic water bottles filled with rocks.

If you have Amazon Mom you can frequently get sposies for under $.20/ea. Seventh Gen are around $.22 ea and Luvs will get as low as $.13 ea. Pampers are usually around $.17/ea. So $50/mo is reasonable. At Target the Up&Up's are around $6 or $7 for a package of 35ish (more or less depending on the size) so $50 seems about right to me.

For awhile we were traveling with my husband and using sposies so I got good at finding bargains If you coupon hunt and combine them with store sales I'm sure they could be even cheaper.
Mama to DS1 05/03/10 and DS2 12/13/11. Due with #3 07/21/13

Last edited by stephbrown13; 10-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.
stephbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #59
BlissfulJ
Registered Users

I can't imagine a $50 dollar increase! On a side note out water bill recently went up more then $30. I checked and our usage is at an all time low but rates are way up due to the city replacing 80 year old water mains.
BlissfulJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #60
BlissfulJ
Registered Users

Oh and we did disposables exclusivly for under $50 a month for four months. Hubby refused to use cloth. We bought pampers at sam's club when they had their member rewards for an extra $4 off. SO 34.xx a month. I got a case of wipes for our shower they lasted 6 months. If you add that cost in its still under $50. Now disposal charges are a whole other topic but I still think we made it. I work very hard to keep actual trash to a minimum.
BlissfulJ is offline   Reply With Quote