Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #51
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you regularly cook breakfast for your family??

I do most days. My DH works from home and he frequently won't take breaks to eat unless I bring him something. I mostly make eggs, but I also sometimes make a big batch of coconut flour pancakes which we then eat reheated the rest of the week. I often do a breakfast casserole of some sort and then we eat off it the rest of the week. When I'm not feeling like cooking, we do lox and fruit or tomatoes. DH is primal and the toddler has Celiacs so no easy cereal for us, sadly!

Advertisement

kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #52
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Only on the weekends. I work and leave the house before anyone wakes up. DH works nights so he comes home, eats cereal or something, and then sleeps until DS gets up later. He then preps breakfast for our son, as well as lunch after school. I usually prepare lunch the night before and they reheat it and eat. Dinner is the one meal served fresh on weekdays because of my schedule.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #53
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do normally 3-4 times a week. During slow mornings the kids will have homemade freezer pancakes, fruit, or oatmeal and then I'll make fruit smoothies or eggs when I get going.
Breakfast pizza is a new thing for us and can be frozen. I buy a pizza crust, homemade gravy for sauce, cook turkey sausage and scrambled eggs then sprinkle on pizza, add cheese and any veggies the kids like. Pop it in the oven for about 10 min.

I don't do cereal much, its not that healthy or filling. If we have it, its used for snacks.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #54
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

We pretty much always cook breakfast here. Either myself or DH does it. Occasionally we have things that we've made ahead or done in the crock to make things easier. But store bought cereals aren't really an option for us either due to a lot of allergies between everyone in the family. Years ago, however, we did a rotation like a PPer mentioned - sometimes cereal, sometimes eggs & bacon, etc.

I don't think it makes you lazy to not have frequent hot breakfasts. Every parent does things differently. And I'm nowhere near being a morning person - I'm lucky in that DH usually does the cooking in the mornings. If we could eat cereals/milk, I'm sure I'd be doing a lot more cold breakfasts here. lol I think it's more important for the family to be getting the right nutrients.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #55
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

We're big on breakfasts here. Everyone seems to eat more at breakfast than dinner. I'll make pancakes, eggs, egg sandwiches, omlets, oatmeal, granola and yogurt, fruit, or some combination of those almost every morning. Either I'm making it in the am or reheating leftovers, but yes I do cook in the morning. We do a big breakfast each weekend, whichever day is our least busy day, we'll get a slow start and either dh and I will make a pretty big breakfast. It usually looks like; pancakes, cheesy eggs, bacon, hashbrowns from scratch, fruit tray. Half the time we throw all that into breakfast burritoes and add salsa YUM. Sometimes there's some low quality stuff dh likes and I try to avoid. There's always leftovers.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #56
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

i cook on the weekends, but not during the week, because we are out the door (both of us to school ) by 7am. he eats breakfast at school, but i give him a snack first thing in the morning- a yogurt, some fruit, last week it was baby carrots, lol. i try to make ahead stuff i can eat in the car for me, since i have 8am classes, otherwise i end up in the cafeteria after class spending 3 bucks on a breakfast sandwich that i could probably make for under a dollar at home... i cant afford that, lol

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #57
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

On the weekends one morning dh makes waffles and the other morning is usually a quick breakfast b/c of church.

During the week I will make a big breakfast once or twice a week unles I'm still riding out my frozen stash. When I make pancakes and french toast I make a HUGE batch to freeze so when they want them during the week I just pop them in the toaster.

Assuming my freezer is full, here are their daily options:

Waffles w/turkey sausage
Pancakes w/turkey sausage or scrambled eggs
Toaster strudel w/turkey sausage or scrambled eggs
Oatmeal
Cereal.....Mini Wheats, Kashi, Cheerios w/yogurt
French toast (I make them where 1 piece of whole wheat toast has 1 egg so they get a great meal)

I think that is about it. They have to have a protein item with the carb item/nonnutritional item.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #58
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe like 3 days a week ill do pancakes or french toast. we always have cereal in the house as well as irish oatmeal in the fridge. we dont all like to eat at the same time.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #59
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD2 and DS get oatmeal every morning. Some mornings, DD2 also eats an egg.

DD1 just wants Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Not worth the fight to me.

We do pancakes on Saturdays.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #60
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I feed DS1 every weekday morning before school and he picks what he wants me to make. Lately he wants oatmeal but he can also pick from waffles, cereal, or scrambled eggs with cheese. Waffles are the whole grain frozen kind and cereal is the non-sugary stuff like Cheerios or Kix.

Weekends DH may make pancakes, or breakfast sandwiches with poached eggs on English muffins. Or we go out for breakfast.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote