Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #31
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Just need to vent....it's another spanking thread

Don't have it in me to argue anymore. Need to be working right now anyway. It is what it is. Spank your kids, or don't. Just wish more parents actually cared about their children enough to teach them right from wrong.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #32
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
We could argue this all day long. Drug crimes among kids? Sure, maybe they've gone down. Homicides? Okay, been dropping since the 1980's.

Kids breaking into cars? Kids performing armed robberies? Kids breaking into houses? Shoplifting?

No, I'd have to say, all of these have gone up. It's EVERY SINGLE DAY I'm hearing something, somewhere, about some 17 year old in jail with a track record a mile long for theft and shoplifting.

The bottom line is, this world is NOT the same as it was 30-40 years ago. Period. A lot of kids have a lack of respect for adults these days, and it's becoming more and more of a problem.
Agree.

stories like this or this or this make me really feel like a lot of parents have NO CLUE how to consistently discipline their kids.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #33
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the outlook depends.

For instance, I have a friend who does spank.But, she isn't consistent and her kid gets away with tons of things that should be dealt with. On the other hand, I have a friend who doesn't spank and any little time her son raises a hand to hit, etc - she's right there and she's taking care of it.

She told me the other day 'I understand how you feel about my son bullying your daughter now - we were around another friend and her daughter was so mean to my son and it was making me ballistic'. I explained that I'm actually fine with her son because she's always correcting him. And she then agreed and said 'yeah, this other mom was all 'we need to be nice' all singsongy and it wasn't doing anything and the kid was just ignoring her'.

THAT's what we don't like. The lack of discipline. Kids will be kids, yes. But kids being kids need to be consistently educated/corrected/whatever. If you are the type who just says 'no no honey, but doesn't follow it up with anything, then yeah.. eventually we are going to resent your kid.

I hate disciplining my child. Don't we all? She's 2. I know she doesn't have self control. I know she's testing boundaries. It really isn't fair that I have to be so friggin' consistent all day long. I feel like a jailer sometimes. But it's my job, I have to do it.

So, I resent when other parents don't do their job. However you choose to do it, if you're not changing your child's behavior over time, then you need to try a new strategy.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #34
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash

We could argue this all day long. Drug crimes among kids? Sure, maybe they've gone down. Homicides? Okay, been dropping since the 1980's.

Kids breaking into cars? Kids performing armed robberies? Kids breaking into houses? Shoplifting?

No, I'd have to say, all of these have gone up. It's EVERY SINGLE DAY I'm hearing something, somewhere, about some 17 year old in jail with a track record a mile long for theft and shoplifting.

The bottom line is, this world is NOT the same as it was 30-40 years ago. Period. A lot of kids have a lack of respect for adults these days, and it's becoming more and more of a problem.
Crimes are on the rise, but so is the population. Crime RATES, or crimes committed per child, are actually down. So it may seem worse because the number of crimes has gone up, but most rates suggest that the perceived problem is a red herring.