Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can someone give me a quick down and dirty on the differences between sugars?

What's the difference between granulated cane sugar, vs. organic (more crystalized) sugar, vs. stevia, splenda, etc.? Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone give me a quick down and dirty on the differences between sugars?

I don't know what the differences are however Agave nectar raises your blood sugar a little slower. They all raise your blood sugar. Sugar is sugar, the actual sweetener reacts the same way no matter what it is. Depending on what your looking for- calorie count, additives, health benefits they are different. It really depends on what your goal is as to what sweetner you want to use. But for blood sugar/glucose purposes they are pretty much the same. Stevia is the only one that doesn't significantly raise blood sugar making it a good option if that is the goal.

This is coming from the daughter of a diabetic which is why I have only ever researched the blood sugar effects. We tend to use honey a lot (not my dad) just because the kids like the flavor.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use honey over any of the sugars.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We sweeten with local honey as well .
Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
I remembered hearing something interesting about sweeteners on NPR and found you the link. We don't use anything beyond honey and sugar, and I remember being glad after I heard this show.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/...re-sweeteners/
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can someone give me a quick down and dirty on the differences between sugars?

I don't know if your are concerned about GMO's but if you are, cane is better then non-cane as sugar beets are GMO (mostly). Then you can have rapadura that has the molasses still attached to it.

Artificial sweeteners I don't trust period. I NEVER give them to my child and recently there have been articles about it that make me even more so like this. It tricks the brain into thinking something is sweet and that I don't trust. I wouldn't give my son a psychotropic drug (unless I had no choice like for a seizure disorder or something) so why would I give it to him otherwise.

We mostly use honey, maple syrup or rapadura. I am trying to get braver with canning with these items but I am not QUITE there yet. That is the only thing I use white sugar for now.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I don't know if your are concerned about GMO's but if you are, cane is better then non-cane as sugar beets are GMO (mostly). Then you can have rapadura that has the molasses still attached to it.

Artificial sweeteners I don't trust period. I NEVER give them to my child and recently there have been articles about it that make me even more so like this. It tricks the brain into thinking something is sweet and that I don't trust. I wouldn't give my son a psychotropic drug (unless I had no choice like for a seizure disorder or something) so why would I give it to him otherwise.

We mostly use honey, maple syrup or rapadura. I am trying to get braver with canning with these items but I am not QUITE there yet. That is the only thing I use white sugar for now.
ok i have to ask what do you can that you use sugar? I just dont? I freeze my jams and i dont use anything but fruit and lemon juice. I also can peaches, applesauce, and tomatoes and never use sugar. Maybe i am doing it wrong but i haven't had a bad batch yet. I usually just use water and lemon juice. Sometimes i use organic pear juice in my pears but rarely.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know the differences, but I stopped using regular white sugar and the only sugar I buy now is raw or local raw honey since I believe there are health benefits to using raw honey, and sometimes maple syrup. My husband still uses white sugar sometimes. I've only tried Grade A maple syrup but Grade B is supposed to be a lot healthier from what I've read (it just seems so expensive!) I don't buy agave nectar and I usually just use fruit or dried fruit, now; often bananas work really well as a sweetener, I find. I also avoid cooking with raw honey b/c it seems like a waste, but sometimes I'll cook with a little bit of maple syrup.

Also, the last jar of raw honey we got has lasted a couple of months since we use it sparingly. For some reason, it's very hard to overdo. It seems expensive, but it is the healthiest of the sugars IMO. I did also just get coconut aminos to try which looks like it's made out of coconut sap... not sure what I think of them though health-wise, but I've also only used it sparingly (as a replacement for soy sauce), and it's delicious. I made some cabbage with it recently (along w/ coconut oil) and my husband said he couldn't even tell. I've been slightly curious about coconut sugar but don't know anything about it either and am not really interested in adding sugars...

As a side note, a lot of things taste so much better now and sweeter and I'm sure that is partly b/c we don't use as much sugar any more. 85% dark chocolate actually tastes slightly sweet to me now!

Last edited by mel j; 04-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
ok i have to ask what do you can that you use sugar? I just dont? I freeze my jams and i dont use anything but fruit and lemon juice. I also can peaches, applesauce, and tomatoes and never use sugar. Maybe i am doing it wrong but i haven't had a bad batch yet. I usually just use water and lemon juice. Sometimes i use organic pear juice in my pears but rarely.
I didn't learn to can from my grandmother like I should have. She is still alive, but I moved to the East coast when I was 18 and she still lives on the west coast. So little chance for me to learn from her. So everything I have been doing has been from a book. I have very little sense of smell. I get a bit more I am pregnant but generally speaking, I don't have a sense of smell (I compare it to the hearing loss of only hearing jet engines and louder). So food going bad is often hard for me to tell. I either rely on my DH or remember when things were open, so I can throw them out (good or not) in 2 weeks after opening.

I haven't been able to find a book on canning with natural sugars. If someone knows of one, please share! Because I would love to have one. Because of that the book I have (Ball's canning book) says that there is more acid in white sugar then in other sugars. I did sweeten my jams with honey and used sugar free pectin and I made my pickled beets out of rapadura, but that is as far as I went. I had such a bountiful year last year that I am glad I got as far as I did, but I would like to do more in the future with less. I don't want to purchase white sugar after the bit that I have is gone.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I didn't learn to can from my grandmother like I should have. She is still alive, but I moved to the East coast when I was 18 and she still lives on the west coast. So little chance for me to learn from her. So everything I have been doing has been from a book. I have very little sense of smell. I get a bit more I am pregnant but generally speaking, I don't have a sense of smell (I compare it to the hearing loss of only hearing jet engines and louder). So food going bad is often hard for me to tell. I either rely on my DH or remember when things were open, so I can throw them out (good or not) in 2 weeks after opening.

I haven't been able to find a book on canning with natural sugars. If someone knows of one, please share! Because I would love to have one. Because of that the book I have (Ball's canning book) says that there is more acid in white sugar then in other sugars. I did sweeten my jams with honey and used sugar free pectin and I made my pickled beets out of rapadura, but that is as far as I went. I had such a bountiful year last year that I am glad I got as far as I did, but I would like to do more in the future with less. I don't want to purchase white sugar after the bit that I have is gone.
pickyourown.org has a lot of conversions for canning with low and no sugar using juices and honey ect. Its pretty much has to go item to item basis though you have to search for specific stuff your canning.