Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do your girls get your boys' hand me downs?

We didn't know DD's gender while I was pregnant, so we hung onto DS's hand me downs in case it was a boy. Now I'm going through the bins and thinking this is perfectly good clothing. Particularly, I'm looking at things like nice jeans or leather/jean jackets and not seeing why a girl couldn't use these. The pants have adjustable waist tabs, so I don't think fit will be a problem. So, do you put your daughter into your son's hand me downs? Did you have fit problems?

Advertisement

KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Do your girls get your boys' hand me downs?

I found that boy's clothing tends to run a tad bigger most of the time... at least in our case. Or, that could be that my son was just such a TANK he stretched everything out before he grew out of it

I have and will use things like jeans and jackets that are GN from DS to go to DD. I don't have any issues with that. Other things, like his Spiderman shirts, or his Buzz Lightyear PJs will probably be passed down to another boy just b/c they are such cool boy clothes. I don't have any issues with DD wearing them, but I think a boy would be much more interested/excited about them than she would. Of course if she develops a love for Buzz, than we'll keep the stuff and she can wear it....
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. Although dd was first. I did buy some yard sale clothes that were boy and some I wasn't sure about. I have bought dd boy shirts as well. Same goes for ds- I try to use what i can of dd's clothes for him. Until she started wearing size 4's most of her pants could easily be worn by a boy. He has her rain coat (it was plain green). I haven't had any issue with fit, but most pants after toddler sizes are pretty specific fit for boys and girls. So after toddler sizes its limited to shirts.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just had our first girl after two boys. While i kept some basic jeans in the under 12 months sizes she will get new to her clothes. The boys clothes will be sold to fund her clothes. I shop garage sales, craigslist, clearance so I don't spend a ton of money on clothes anyway.

After buying all boy clothes for 5 years I am ready for some new stuff for DD.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have some jackets, shirts, and pants from the girls in ds's room waiting for his arrival. They were gender neutral so why not? Dd2s favorite colors until recently were blue and black so he has some 2, 3, 4t stuff as well.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't have a DD yet but our next baby will wear all DS's newborn clothing whether boy or girl. Except for clothes that say "Daddy's little tough guy" and stuff like that.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep mostly sleepers and plain shirts. I was so excited for a girl after 2 boys though that she had a lot of fitly stuff too
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

We have a DS and one on the way, don't know gender yet. if it's a girl, she definitely will get her own girl wardrobe! we are probably only having two kids so I'm not blowing my only chance to have a baby girl get a girly wardrobe.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

My MIL really wants a girl granddaughter, so if this next baby is a girl, I bet my MIL will buy her all new clothes. But, I will gladly put her in my son's clothes. The only thing I'm "worried" about is the fact that my DH, myself, and my DS were bald. So, chances are new baby will be bald too. (And I love bald babies, so this in itself isn't an issue.) So, I worry that everyone would think she is a boy if she was in boy clothes.

What complicates this is that I'm a staunch feminist. Like, kinda scarily so. Like, it would be easier for me to buy my son pink stuff than a daughter. Yes, I realize this is CRAZY. I'm going to work on being more accepting of gender clothing if the 20 week u/s says girl, cause I am intelligent enough to know that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote