Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #21
aardappelen
Registered Users

Re: Cost break down of any system for less than $400, including organic options

This is great! I'm pregnant with our first and was really overwhelmed when I first started looking at diapers, especially since our budget is tight. Here's what I ended up getting:

6 packs of Osocozy birdseye flats from amazon (36 total flats)- $59.70
7 one size wool covers from MamaBear Babywear on ebay @ $18 each (2 thick, 5 medium, all no closure) - $126
Snappis, pack of five - $11.95
Wipes: made from old flannel and towels with holes I had sitting around.

Total so far - 197.65

I still need a diaper pail and some pins, maybe some more snappis, but basically I'll have everything I *need* for under $250.

There are still a few things I want, however, like I would love a couple one-size AIO diapers for outings and such, so I don't have to deal with flats while running errands. If my MIL doesn't get this, we'll end up buying them. I also want to buy some fleece to try my hand at some newborn fleece soakers, so by the time I'm actually done, I'll likely be around $350.

Thanks for posting this! I'm sure it'll be a big help to people trying to CD for the first time on a budget- I know I saw some things I'd wished I'd known about when I first started looking.

Advertisement

aardappelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
[QUOTE="nahrie"]

Totally awesome concept for those who have access to a sewing machine. Are these the links you were trying to post?

Yes! Thank you so much, Nahrie!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
parterasd
Registered Users

Awesome post!!
parterasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #24
tentrevival
Registered Users
seller

My problem with this is I hate one size diapers. I think it's fair to get one size for under $400, and save a fraction of what you're not spending on disposables for the next size.

2 Diaper Circus Starter Kits $288
8 interlock shells, 24 bamboo terry folds, wet bag and dozen wipes

AMP All In Two Complete Stash $374
8 shells, 24 inserts, accessories

8 La Di Da covers by squeezie cheeks $96
24 Flip organic prefolds $160
OR 24 Sbish Flats $240

24 gmd workhorse $240
4 kiwi pie wool covers $140
Wife to RJ, who makes the world a beautiful place. Adoring Momma to Efrim Phoenix, my little prince (8-17-09), Julian Russell, my wild thing (11-04-10), Oscar Pax, our little bear (8-16-13), and missing Lucy Soul (1-29-12)
tentrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

these are brand new prices:
I have done 6 motherease bamboo sandys ($13 on sale) $78
and 6 dappi covers (my fav and so cheap) $15
then 8 bg pockets $128 = $221

now I may do 16 alva baby pockets just for simplicity!

but for $400 you can get a TON of stuff on the FSOT board!
i do prefer a few things new tho
Old 12-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Wow thanks for all that work.

I recently did a survey here (link is still below, with results on the last page of that thread), that indicated people expect to spend below $500 but tend to spend between $500-750. The biggest culprit appeared to be "One Size" systems that really don't end up being one-sized.

Additional research I've done shows that people usually start with a newborn size, then go to one size, and then have a toddler or PLing solution (because so many OS quit at 30-35 lbs.

Keeping *that* in mind, here are some other considerations:

-- You can keep your costs below $400 overall on sized systems if you take good care of your diapers and resell them.

-- Lots of people who start with flats then "upgrade" tend to return to them, finding out that flats and prefolds really aren't significantly more trouble than AIOs. For us, folding the AIOs (getting them straightened out and ready to put on) took the same amount of time as folding flats. And AIOs created far more laundry drama (our utility bills went up $20 a month).

--Flats can fit into lots of covers, including pockets, which means you may have to buy new covers but not inners (and inners are where we need the most pieces).

So if I had to make a stash that wasn't flats or prefolds, for $400 or less, I would do ...

-- 48 of these, making 24 sets of 2, to put into daytime diapers.

-- For nights, 2 each of this nighttime doubler and this doubler in size large. Each night diaper gets one of each.

That's $107.40 so far, for all the absorbent parts you need for birth to potty.

Now, newborn covers ...

8 Thirsties XS, at $90. A generous supply, for 6-12 pounds.

And then, for 13-28 pounds ...

6 size Medium gDiaper gPants for day - $90 (Toys R Us)
2 Flip covers for night - $28

And then ... for 28-36 lbs ...

6 size Large gDiaper gPants - $90.
(keep using Flips at night)

If you don't like gPants, substitute Flips. Or sized Thirsties, they cost even less.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
Fryedaddy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome ill make sure the misses gets a printout of this
Fryedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #28
nahrie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
Wow thanks for all that work.

I recently did a survey here (link is still below, with results on the last page of that thread), that indicated people expect to spend below $500 but tend to spend between $500-750. The biggest culprit appeared to be "One Size" systems that really don't end up being one-sized.

Additional research I've done shows that people usually start with a newborn size, then go to one size, and then have a toddler or PLing solution (because so many OS quit at 30-35 lbs.

Keeping *that* in mind, here are some other considerations:

-- You can keep your costs below $400 overall on sized systems if you take good care of your diapers and resell them.

-- Lots of people who start with flats then "upgrade" tend to return to them, finding out that flats and prefolds really aren't significantly more trouble than AIOs. For us, folding the AIOs (getting them straightened out and ready to put on) took the same amount of time as folding flats. And AIOs created far more laundry drama (our utility bills went up $20 a month).

--Flats can fit into lots of covers, including pockets, which means you may have to buy new covers but not inners (and inners are where we need the most pieces).

So if I had to make a stash that wasn't flats or prefolds, for $400 or less, I would do ...

-- 48 of these, making 24 sets of 2, to put into daytime diapers.

-- For nights, 2 each of this nighttime doubler and this doubler in size large. Each night diaper gets one of each.

That's $107.40 so far, for all the absorbent parts you need for birth to potty.

Now, newborn covers ...

8 Thirsties XS, at $90. A generous supply, for 6-12 pounds.

And then, for 13-28 pounds ...

6 size Medium gDiaper gPants for day - $90 (Toys R Us)
2 Flip covers for night - $28

And then ... for 28-36 lbs ...

6 size Large gDiaper gPants - $90.
(keep using Flips at night)

If you don't like gPants, substitute Flips. Or sized Thirsties, they cost even less.
That's an awesome setup! I just might suggest that to my roommates, if they end up wanting to do something besides flats/prefolds. Thank you. I'd love it if people keep contributing to this thread as that was the original hope