Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana
I would take it outside onto the grass/ runway and hose it out completely, like drench it. Make your kids jump on it to squeeze the dirt out, and rehose it. Jump. And leave it there for the next two days to dry.

I I know Seattle is a rainy city and you are worried about mold, but just letting the urine sit in for days is also going to cause it to mold.

Maybe you could do it in the night when a particularly bright day is predicted for the next. ...the weatherman maybe your BF for now!
The problem with that is we are now down to high 60s for the high, and that won't change. It is also overcast most of the day, with the high lasting an our tops. The lows are already in the mid 40s. It isn't raining yet, but with how thick the bear is, there is no way it would dry before it started to mold. It molding from the pee is less likely because it is in one spot and did not go all the way through. I'm really hoping the laundromat has a big enough washer/dryer, going to check tonight when DH gets home. Couldn't last night from being insanely busy. If that doesn't work, it is either going to have to come apart or be replaced.

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #12
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How to clean oversized stuffed animals

Ok, then how about waiting till bone dry winter hits and doing it then. Stow it away till then...just spray the urine spot heavily with a deodorant/talcum powder. I live in a humid city, but used to live in S.Korea. So, I used to dry my clothes outside in the winter, and they would dry rather quickly.

I dont think you need to replace it. Its still salvageable. Your kids'll just have to wait.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavana
Ok, then how about waiting till bone dry winter hits and doing it then. Stow it away till then...just spray the urine spot heavily with a deodorant/talcum powder. I live in a humid city, but used to live in S.Korea. So, I used to dry my clothes outside in the winter, and they would dry rather quickly.

I dont think you need to replace it. Its still salvageable. Your kids'll just have to wait.
Winter is never dry here. It is the wettest time of year. We actually got a bit of sun yesterday, and the urine spot is dry at least. I was thinking about it last night, and because this is likely to happen again (the one that peed on it is #3 of soon to be 5 kids), so what I think I want to try is get some pillow cases at Goodwill, take the bear apart, and stuff them with stuffing to wash, but then restuff the bear with the pillow cases to make it more washable. That would fix the problem now and in the future.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

was this accidental or intentional, I would just get rid of the bear and put a waterproof barrier on the couch to prevent future incidents.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1
was this accidental or intentional, I would just get rid of the bear and put a waterproof barrier on the couch to prevent future incidents.
It was an accident. She's only 2.5. We got rid of the couch over a year ago, and I'm not replacing it. On top of my son peeing on it repeatedly (he'd fall asleep and pee on it), they just used it to shove toys under/behind so they wouldn't have to clean. They would also shove the couch all over the room. It was rather annoying. If I get rid of the bear, I'm replacing it. All four of my kids adore it. I don't mind figuring out a way to keep it a safe item for them to have.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
smores
Registered Users

Why not get rid of it and replace it with bean bag chairs with washable covers/waterproof covers? That seems more logical to me. If you really don't like that idea, I'd probably do the pillowcase idea that another poster suggested.

i blog here
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

What about some carpet cleaner specifically made for accidents, typically pets, ffollowed by a Lysol type spray?
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
mamaspice
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats
What about some carpet cleaner specifically made for accidents, typically pets, ffollowed by a Lysol type spray?
Yes, try Nature's Miracle from Petco. I use it on any carpet uh ohs.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #19
paggie88
Registered Users
seller

have u tried checking out the laundromats as they might have giant washers?
paggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote