Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is Mini boden worth it?

I am so tired of buying Carter's and Osh Kosh shirts only to have them get faded or shrink up 2 sizes within a few month.

Is Mini boden worth the cost? Are their pants adjustable waist? DS1 has no back end to speak of, so being able to cinch up the waist is a must.

TIA Mamas!

Advertisement

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I haven't purchased their pants. I have quite a few tops. The color stays well, the seams stay flat and straight and they have a high end, "shiny" look, no matter how many washes.

That said, they are pricey. American Apparel has the same look for much less but no cute appliques. I like Boden sweaters but the knit dresses have pilled a bit. No real problem there but the resale value on pilly clothes is low.

I have many adult Boden skirts and they are totally awesome.

Worth it? Depends how important cuteness is to you.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is Mini boden worth it?

We are big Boden believers for certain things. Tshirts cannot be beat. Thick, soft, they don't shrink or fade much, some are on their 3rd boy here and resale is fantastic. Most of their pants do have drawstring waists that really cinch them up. That said, we don't buy their pants here. They are shorter and very wide in the legs which doesn't work for my beanpoles at all. Many of their pants are also very heavy which no one here likes. Boden underwear lasts forever but runs really big IME. Socks are great. Jackets are great. Sweaters are not worth the money. They pill as PP noted and are no better quality than anything else for much more $$. For us, all 3 guys have stashes of Boden tshirts that are always reached for first and look the best. Worth every penny. We gifted all Target, Oshkosh and Carters tshirts due to shrinkage, fading, pilling, and poor fit and quality. We have Boden and Janie and Jack T-shirts here and the occassional Gymboree. We wear ours daily. GL!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I really love the quality. We've bought some for DD winter clothing and the shirts are nice, cute, and wash well.

They have a nice resale value as well.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes they are worth the money. My daughter loves the skirts, dresses, and shirts. The shirts have NO pills or wear to the fabric. I bought some gymboree shirts last year that looked awful in comparison after only a few washes. The undies are the best as are the footless tights. I usually have a 15% off coupon so it is somewhat cheaper. These clothes last 2-3 years and still look great.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks - especially the note regarding sweaters which I probably would have bought.

Going off now to check FSOT for t-shirts. That being said, if anyone has boys size 5-6 or 3 - 4, PM me.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

I prefer Hanna Andersson. Also pricey, but the cotton seems softer to me and I find the stuff lasts much longer (with the way they do sizing, dd easily gets two years of wear out of whatever we buy). We only ever got one Mini Boden sweater, because we also had problems with the pilling. My (very thin) daughter found the Mini Boden adjustable waist jeans too big for quite a while; they have a draw string, but didn't cinch tight enough for her and kept slipping down. I do LOVE Mini Boden coats though. They last forever and dd always gets a million compliments on hers.

Last edited by NYCVeg; 10-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i found a pair of -pants at the thrift store for $3. i like them and they are cute but i didnt think they were any better than any of the other brands out there. i wouldnt personally spend a lot of money on baby clothes. i just look out for good brands used at the thrift stores.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I used to be a huge Mini Boden and Boden (for me) fan. I LOVE their design asthetic, it's so cute and whimsical. I've been a customer for years. However I do feel that lately the quality has changed. I've had a lot of things fade and color transfers peel after just one wash. Also the seams have shrunk in wierd ways, and the quality in general just hasn't been as good IMO. I have a lot of stuff in the closet right now I'm disappointed about. I actually am not shopping from that catalog anymore as a result. I also don't shop at Gap or Gymboree anymore for the same reasons- I feel like the prices are high but the quality is low.

I personally think for the money Hanna Andersson is better quality, and Growing Up With Garnet Hill. Not the most affordable options by any means, but within that bracket they are really nicely made clothes. I try to get mostly Hanna stuff on sale, I haven't found it to shrink or fade and the cotton is very soft. It seems to do well wash after wash and my kids are hard on clothes.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
FlyingMama
Registered Users
seller

Mini boden is so cute but I have found that most of their clothes are cut really wide and don't fit right on my long skinny kids. Especially on my 2 yr old who also has no butt to speak of.