Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mirena help?!

This may be T.M.I. for some, but we're almost all women here so I figured that's not much of an issue...

Okay, I've had my Mirena for almost 18 months, no issues. I've had a light period every month until a couple of months ago and they stopped. Okay, no biggie, some women stop having periods on Mirena...
Well, I've had sore breasts, off and on cramps, and every once in a while a craving for carmalized onions...this has been going on longer than typical PMS...plus, I never had PMS symptoms with Mirena before. My husband is most concerned because my sweat smells different..I thought he was crazy until I googled it...and the thing that concerned me the most...

I just looked down a few minutes ago and my one of my breasts were leaking...quite a bit through 2 layers of clothes. I stopped bfing when my son was about 4.5 months old, he is almost 19 months.

I took an HPT a few days ago (at night) and it was negative, but I'm going to take one again and if AF doesn't come soon I'm going to my OB/GYN.

Has anyone here gotten pregnant on it? Has anyone had this happen and NOT be pregnant? I felt my threads a few days ago and they were still there, then I went to feel them again and they feel much shorter..is that normal?

ETA: Forgot to add I've been super moody, too.

Advertisement

Last edited by noahsmommy2007; 10-04-2012 at 10:41 PM.
noahsmommy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
A friends wife got pregnant while on mirena threads in place.
I think the hormones could do those things. I know definitely the moods.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mirena help?!

That's what I was thinking, too, but my hormones have never been this "out of whack" especially this long during the 18 months I've had it...that combined with this being the first time I haven't had a period, you can see why this is freaking me out a little lol.

Do you know how your friend's wife found out she was pregnant and suspected it was more than Mirena hormones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
A friends wife got pregnant while on mirena threads in place.
I think the hormones could do those things. I know definitely the moods.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:
I have the mirena and I have never had a period on it, I have had all the symptoms you were describing at different times and I tink its just te hormones. I always feel "pregnant" around the time I would typically get AF. Its probably jus the hormones don't stress also my threads can be felt some times and others they can't.
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got pregnant on the Mirena!!! I had had it in for 31 months.

NEVER had a period on it, strings had always been "lost" but u/s had confirmed it was still in place.

Suddenly month 31 I had spotting and bad cramping. I called my dr and she told me to go get a pg test right away. POSITIVE.

When I went in to the dr, the Mirena was in the process of expelling itself, which was probably what was causing the cramping and bleeding. They removed the IUD but it resulted in losing the baby 5 days later.

I am also not the only person that I PERSONALLY know IRL that has gotten pg on it.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry for your loss..
That whole process had to be horrible.
How did it all turn out for the other person you knew who got pregnant with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostcrunchy View Post
I got pregnant on the Mirena!!! I had had it in for 31 months.

NEVER had a period on it, strings had always been "lost" but u/s had confirmed it was still in place.

Suddenly month 31 I had spotting and bad cramping. I called my dr and she told me to go get a pg test right away. POSITIVE.

When I went in to the dr, the Mirena was in the process of expelling itself, which was probably what was causing the cramping and bleeding. They removed the IUD but it resulted in losing the baby 5 days later.

I am also not the only person that I PERSONALLY know IRL that has gotten pg on it.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your kind words.

The other 2 both went on to deliver healthy babies (both had it removed as soon as pg was confirmed).

My dr told me that the "effectiveness" declines with each year of use.......not sure if that's correct but that's what she told me.

So yes, pregnancy is completely possible with Mirena.

Last edited by almostcrunchy; 10-05-2012 at 12:54 AM.
almostcrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
noahsmommy2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep reading more and more stories of people getting pregnant on it..I wonder how effective is truly is. Even if what I'm going through was PMS, it shouldn't last for 2 weeks and keep getting more intense...I took another hpt late tonight and it was neg. I'll probably take another with fmu tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Teahya&nikolais_mommy
Registered Users
seller

I got pregnant with my now 2 yr old DS on mirena I had it for a year & a half went into my dr because I thought I had the flu & fiund iut I did not that I was pregnant & that my IUD was no where to b found it was not in me or him so they have no idea what happend to it their guess is that my mid wife placed it to soon or it took longer for my uterus to get back to normal & it came out on its own! Think I would have felt that or noticed it comeing out but oh well guess he was ment to b here lol!
Amanda : , baby wearing, non circing SHAM to Teahya::6-4-08 and Nikolai4-22-10 andwith #3 Markus Anthony and #4 Marius asher
Teahya&nikolais_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not get pregnant on Mirena. I always had symptoms from it and I did get an increase in those symptoms around 18 months. All PMS symptoms, they kept getting worse. Moodiness being the absolute worse and the reason it was removed at 2 years. I was scared I would hurt someone because I had started flying off the handle over nothing. And I also always felt pregnant around pms time with it, my period never stopped though- it actually became very heavy and frequent. Never did regulate. I would mention it to the doc, and Maybe test once a week for a few weeks. Not even sure how you would know when to test with no period. I know with my mirena my pms symptoms and pregnancy feelings would start about 2 weeks before the actual period was due.

I don't know anyone who got pregnant on Mirena but I do know 2 IUD babies. My friend and her brother are both IUD babies. Both conceived with the IUD in place and both successful healthy pregnancies and babies. Their mama gave up on IUD's after the 2nd time.

Last edited by jbug_4; 10-05-2012 at 04:57 AM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote