Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Mom2Finn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Does it seem like its better to get her off the swaddle first and then work on her laying next to me? She's just such a light sleeper. Falls asleep really easily but wakes easily. Whereas my son was so hard to get to sleep but then slept like a rock. Now he's out in five minutes and sleeps 12 hours without a peep. But the stuff that worked with him doesn't with her.

Advertisement

Mom2Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Mom2Finn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
And I really love co sleeping and have no problem nursing her at night. I just don't want her right on top of me and I guess need to lose the swaddle.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: My co sleeping shame

Out of curiosity why is the swaddle bad? Does it affect her developementally? If it does then I can understand the need to get rid of it. If it doesn't then I am not understanding the need to get rid of something baby obviously wants.

I'm sorry no suggestions here as frequently my 15 month old sleeps on me and it has to be while I am in the recliner. I simply go with it for the sake of sleep.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 10-05-2012 at 08:37 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
Mom2Finn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
Out of curiosity why is the swaddle bad? Does it affect her developementally? If it does then I can understand the need to get rid of it. If it doesn't then I am not understanding the need to get rid of something baby obviously wants.

I'm sorry no suggestions here as frequently my 15 month old sleeps on me and it has to be while I am in the recliner. I simply go with it for the sake of sleep.
She really seems to love/hate it. She doesn't sleep well without it but sometimes I feel like she's straining against it. Plus I wouldn't feel like I could ever leave her in case she rolled over and got stuck. I don't know. It's so hard to give up okay sleep for a while in hopes if ending up with great sleep.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I suggest doing it all at once. With the swaddling you might even want to do both arms out right from the start. If she is really against it, then just go cold turkey. Actually I would just stop that doing it and take it out of the mix. It is not like she will decide to be reasonable. You will need to make the decision for her and stick to it. I would really try not to let her get all worked up to then give in. That will really make it harder to overcome these things. Do you have a pack in play that you could put beside the bed in case she won't settle?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #16
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko

In our case, my daughter wanted something (swaddle) but it wasn't good for her (kept her from moving freely) & cost her sleep. So we stepped in & guided her in another direction. To me, it's like wanting to drink a Coke every night but it always keeps you up half the night. It might be something you want but it's not good for you to have.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle04 View Post
In our case, my daughter wanted something (swaddle) but it wasn't good for her (kept her from moving freely) & cost her sleep. So we stepped in & guided her in another direction. To me, it's like wanting to drink a Coke every night but it always keeps you up half the night. It might be something you want but it's not good for you to have.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
If it isn't good for her than I understand. I have never used swaddlers so have no idea how it affects baby. I wasn't sure so that was why I asked. I am not saying anyone is wrong to remove it. I was just wondering why it was an issue. If it affects their sleeping that is definitely a problem. I NEED good sleep like a fish needs water. I do not function at all without adequate sleep.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Sleep sacks are a nice alternative to swaddling. Cozy and warm but not really restrictive. My dd2 loved hers so much. She'd just smile and sigh and drift off to sleep in it.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish I had advice. I can commiserate with you if nothing else. My DS1 went through a phase where he would insist on roll up in a ball around my head and sleep that way. He only did it while asleep. I just worked to gently re-direct him to lying next to me, or in the crook of my arm. It takes time, but phases like this will pass .
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
Mom2Finn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me
I wish I had advice. I can commiserate with you if nothing else. My DS1 went through a phase where he would insist on roll up in a ball around my head and sleep that way. He only did it while asleep. I just worked to gently re-direct him to lying next to me, or in the crook of my arm. It takes time, but phases like this will pass .
Thank you. I'm glad it's not just me.