Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

I'm not sure how to answer this for her.

She asked me, "How did Daddy fertilize your egg?"

Ok, so some background - I'm pg. And my parents have lots of farm animals, including chickens. She asked some questions about chickens eggs - how come they don't turn into babies? I told her b/c there is no daddy chicken to fertilize the eggs, so the eggs won't turn into babies b/c it takes the egg from the mommy and then the daddy has to fertilize it and THEN it will grow into a baby. Hence, no rooster (daddy chicken), no babies.

Later on she asked some other questions about if mommies lay eggs like chickens. I said no, mommies have eggs INSIDE their tummies.

And now, she wants to know HOW Daddy fertilized my egg. I tried to answer in a way that kind of avoids the topic of sex.... I said "Daddy has a special thing called a sperm and he gives the sperm to Mommy to fertilize her egg." She said, "How?"

Um, someone help me please. Isn't she too young to know all the ins and outs of sex?

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

Idk, my 5.5yr old knows that the p goes in the v and that his "balls" have sperm. We said its only for adults to do. Hes never brought it up again or acted inappropriately :shrug:

If you dont want to go that route, just say he takes them out of his body and hands them to you
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I dont think shes too young for the sex talk. Keep it simple but give her the facts.

If she wasnt ready for the answer she wouldnt be asking. Her brain is processing it and its trying to figure it out. I'd give her the answers shes looking for.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinthesun View Post
Idk, my 5.5yr old knows that the p goes in the v and that his "balls" have sperm. We said its only for adults to do. Hes never brought it up again or acted inappropriately :shrug:

If you dont want to go that route, just say he takes them out of his body and hands them to you
I don't want to tell her that cause that's a lie. I really want to be honest and upfront about everything but I was really not expecting this question so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
I dont think shes too young for the sex talk. Keep it simple but give her the facts.

If she wasnt ready for the answer she wouldnt be asking. Her brain is processing it and its trying to figure it out. I'd give her the answers shes looking for.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

yea, we normally feel that way, too. we answer what she asks. I guess if she asks again I'll just try to be matter of fact and explain it in easy-to-understand terms.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, my kids aren't that old yet, but I think I would just be honest.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jandb View Post
Yeah, my kids aren't that old yet, but I think I would just be honest.
no need to hide!

I WANT to be honest. I was hoping there was another way to answer the question without going into sex. I was hoping someone could give me other suggestions of ways to answer it without going that far into it.

I was just kind of hoping this conversation would take place later... like in 3 yrs or something. She's just too smart to let me off the hook that easy! Right?! LOL

I see now that I am trapped!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I don't know thats tough. I just told my DD (8) about the whole sex thing. At 5.5 she may not "get it" but I guess I would feel uncomforable about giving her too much info on it. Maybe tell her "Daddy gives Mommy a special present when we want to have another baby. Mommy unwraps it and then the baby grows." ???? Maybe to vague..I'm sorry. I seem to be no help really. I hope you find a way.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would just start talking, with simple (and correct!) terms, and then stop when she's obviously done listening - likely she'd say "okay", or zone out, start talking about something else, or even just up and walk away to play. She'll only "take in" as much as she can handle, if you don't make a big deal of it, kwim?
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We raised rabbits as kids, and because we bred them, were very aware of how things worked. Maybe go that route and explain it in terms of mammal reproduction and that we are mammals too?

That way you are not lying, but you also don't have to get quite so personal talking specifically about mommy and daddy as you explain.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by SaraElise; 10-03-2012 at 10:01 AM.
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote