Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So far so good with night weaning

I've been procrastinating over the weaning process for a month or two now. I've wanted to wean, but I've needed to steel myself against what I thought would be DD's protest. DD with be 2 years old at the end of month, and I think it's time. So I tried elminating DD's bedtime nursing for the first time last night. It's her most favorite, and I can count the number of times she fallen asleep in my presence without nursing, on one hand. (She falls asleep at daycare just fine without nursing, so I know it can be done.) She cried of course, then after only 10 minutes of bawling she gave up and wanted me to read the same book over and over until she fell asleep. She woke up ~2 hours later asking to nurse(her usual sleep routine) and fell asleep snuggling next to me (we co-sleep with DD in a side-car crib).

Fingers crossed, but wow, it was easier than I thought it would be. Even with all the crying, DD fell asleep faster than she would have nursing down. She fell asleep faster after she woke up too. If I eliminate the bedtime nursing, we'll be down to one nursing: the one at daycare pickup. That one DD can easily drop if I give her a snack.

Almost there! I'll let you know how tonight goes.

Advertisement

Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So far so good with night weaning

Woah, I almost gave up tonight. She started crying when I refused her bedtime "ba", her word for boob. At first it was the same whining as last night, but then she wanted water. Because she was already upset, she ended up have a full blown meltdown tantrum over getting the water herself. She screamed for a good 40 minutes. I almost caved in. However, the screaming was about getting the water herself, not nursing. Mental note, have a straw cup by the bed when it's time to sleep.

After she calmed down, DD had her water and very reasonably climbed back in bed. We read some books, sang some songs, snuggled, and she drifted off to sleep without a further hiccup. Phew!

Last edited by Shimpie; 09-16-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last night she only whimpered for 10 minutes and the fell asleep snuggling. Tonight, she snuggled right up and used my breast as a pillow. No crying at all! Well, it was fuss-free until she woke up 2 hours later and had a huge tantrum. I gave in and nursed her only after she calmed down on her own. I also made sure she didn't fall asleep on my boob and unlatched her when she seemed satisfied. DD rolled over and fell asleep on her own without any complaints.

I'm not feeling as guilty as I thought I would about weaning. Well, it's not cold turkey. Dd still has an occasional daytime nursing.

Last edited by Shimpie; 09-16-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh hugs. That's heart wrenching. Mine is 2 in a month and has been weaning too. He is not crying though or else I might give in. He has taken to a bottle of milk instead and it helps him.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Phew! Tonight was such a nice calm bedtime. No tears, no crying, not even a whimper. She didn't even ask to nurse and was quite content to snuggle up with me. She fell asleep while I read a book to her.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It must have a been Monday. Everyone had a bad Monday, including DD. She specifically asked to nurse at bedtime and had a huge fit when I didn't allow it. Sigh.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad everything is going good!
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
melonhead
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
Oh hugs. That's heart wrenching. Mine is 2 in a month and has been weaning too. He is not crying though or else I might give in. He has taken to a bottle of milk instead and it helps him.
did he always take a bottle? DH suggested maybe offering one to my 17 mo, who we are having a hard time with night nursing--he wakes up all night and wants to sleep latched. We pushed hard for him to take a bottle when i worked, when he was 4-5-6 months, then we stopped, as he started taking the cup instead. I feel like it would be silly to reintroduce it at this point, but maybe DH is on to something?
melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Actually, no. He likes them now though. Think of it as a different kind of sippy cup. ;-)