Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #111
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:
Re: What do you think of moms who...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
I avoided visits with my DD. However, a "well-visit" at 2 months old ended up possibly saving my son's life, so that drastically changed my opinion on them...and now, I'd be thankful to only have to deal with well visits! And I am forever thankful that I have a pediatrician that I trust and who knows us, our stance on things, our family, etc in case anything comes up. But just as with anything else, that's my own personal experience and I would never make assumptions about or lecture anyone who does differently. Your kids, your choice.

Would you mind sharing some details? It is totally ok if you don't want to but I am curious what a well-check caught that you had missed.

Advertisement

mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #112
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
I'm a RN and think preventative care is very important. Even if you don't vaccinate, a simple appointment to check on a child's development is necessary. All of my kids are unique with different needs and taking them to well visits is important because the doctor can pick up on things we might miss. It's also necessary for children to learn that going to the doctor isn't always an unpleasant thing that happens when they're sick.

Plus, it teaches them that those annual physicals when they're adults are crucial to their long term health. I have had many patients that had never been to a doctor end up with end-stage diseases because they didn't think they felt bad enough to go to the doctor. I go to my yearly physical to be checked for cervical cancer and breast cancer, and to check on my general health, why would I NOT take my kids?
I fall into the "doesn't do well checks class" BUT that doesn't mean my kids don't see the Dr. We are there ALL THE TIME with 5 kids. This week we had the littlest to the Dr and allergist because I thought she had a reaction. I "could" have waited until her next well check which I suppose should have been in a month by why wait? My older kids are seen AT LEAST every six months even without scheduled "well checks". My #2 has never been to a well-check in his life but was at the Dr and or hospital almost every week for several years. I guess I just don't see the point BUT I suppose if my kids ever get healthy enough to not see a Dr for an entire year I will schedule a check.

Last edited by mg5g; 10-06-2012 at 08:25 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #113
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Doesn't bother me.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #114
ArmyWifeBethany
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy
Doctors check for so many things that the average parent wouldn't pick up or be aware even existed. It is a layer of protection that I don't understand why people would be adverse. Sure the human race will continue without well checks. However the outcome is so much better with reg. medical attention for babies/children. Actually the outcome is better for most people who have med. care.
Agree! My pediatrician was the one who initially raised concerns that I might have had scoliosis at my 10 year old well visit. Even though I eventually had to have surgery at 11 years old, he was the one who identified it...and he was way old school at 80 years old! My parents probably never would have noticed it until I was in my teens, and it would have been quite severe by that point. Thanks to him, I was able to have it fixed before I had any back pain, and 16 years later, I feel great

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #115
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

I take my kids to well visits because they are in School and to be honest it's easier to just get the papers from the Doc that the school asks for then try and gather all the other documents they will request if I don't take them.
Rewind_Selector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #116
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

Doesn't bother me either.

I took DD1 all the time, then started to not like her pedi. DD2 came along and we went the first few times. Their pedi left and a new one came. She lied to us about vax'ing DD1 last year (said there was no way around them, I didn't put my foot down and DH had her get 4. She threw up and DH apologized over and over, says we will homeschool if it comes down to it).

Then we moved. I am in LOVE with their new pedi, especially with Silas being here. She was at the hospital on his first day in the world. I trust her and she trusts us. Both girls have had their yearly checkup, DS has his 4 month on Monday (still not vax'ing), but I'm curious on his growth. Plus I want the kids to know their pedi incase something happens one day and not to be scared of her. Along with her knowing them personally and us personally.
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #117
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

It doesnt bother me unless it was a well check up for a serious medical condition. Then it would be considered neglect in my eyes. The reg. well checks are really for vaccinations, we dont Vx, we dont well check, we see a chiropractor for all that once a year.

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #118
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

LOL what a question. What would I think of them? That they're PARENTS. Sometimes I take my kids on time, sometimes I don't. Two of mine's birthdays hit right in high flu season so taking them into a office of kids barfing and hacking would be stupid. What parent has so much time on their hands that they can nit-pick other people's parenting? I wanna know what you do with YOUR day, LOL.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #119
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think anything of parents who do or do not do well visits.

We are in the, dont' do well visits camp. We did for the first year but driving 45 minutes for 10 minutes with a Dr. who basically just asked if we had any questions and then that was it, was not worth it. On healthy kids they only do height, weight, heart and testicles (I only have boys so that's the only experience I have). No blood or urine is ever taken. Even when kids are sick they normally can figure out what is wrong without taking blood or urine samples. I'm also educated in child development and have Doctors in the family, so we are perfectly comforatble with skipping them, as is our Pediatrician. If I ever have concerns I consult with the Ped in our family and/or take my child in to be seen.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #120
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have been a parent for 22 years. I didn't used to do well visits, now I do. Just yesterday we took my 6 & 2 year olds in. 6 year old has a history of UTIs ,but currently has no symptoms. She felt what could possibly have been a mass in DD's abdomen. Usually she would not think too much of it, but with DD's history she was more concerned. Even though dd has no symptoms, she had dd pee in a cup, it was positive. Just for the heck of it she had the other DD pee too, also positive.

Our Dr says she has discovered stomach cancer in a small child at a routine visit. You just never know.

edited to add, we dont vax. We drive 1 hr to see a Dr we love.

Last edited by ~*~Sunflower~*~; 10-06-2012 at 02:39 PM.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote