Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you think of moms who...

I don't bother myself with what other parents do with their children.

Advertisement

MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
Doctors check for so many things that the average parent wouldn't pick up or be aware even existed. It is a layer of protection that I don't understand why people would be adverse. Sure the human race will continue without well checks. However the outcome is so much better with reg. medical attention for babies/children. Actually the outcome is better for most people who have med. care.
This.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that's nice to hear. we dont do well visits and i always wondered what other people thought.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #24
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes
that's nice to hear. we dont do well visits and i always wondered what other people thought.
Lmao. you.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydsmom View Post
We don't do well visits past 4 mo or so. My dr is wonderful and is comfortable with only seeing us at 1 yr and 1x/yr after that. I feel like I am pretty in tune with my kids and their bodies and hope I would catch something if there was an issue. I still call him all the time and ask him random poop/pee/growth etc questions though
I love my ped too, I can call about something and he will ask what I think the problem is since I know my kids.

And while I understand that there are rare things like brain tumors (although I'm pretty sure I would notice if my child's head grew that much) the schedule for the first couple of years is a vaccine schedule, after that it's just once a year so very reasonably a child could develop a problem within that whole year that would go undiagnosed. So if babies need to go every 2 months then older children need to go every 2 months just in case something is wrong. I missed my yearly exam when I was 11 because we were in the middle of moving to a new state and they were overlooked. When I was 12 I was diagnosed with severe scoliosis, it usually hits around puberty and my case was very aggressive so chances are it would not have been picked up at age 11 anyway and even then there were no early treatment options that would have helped. I do not take my older girls to the doctor every year but I do make sure to check their spines every couple of months.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #26
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

not sure how 5 minute visit with a doc will tell them more about my child than my being with them everyday.

Docs have their place for sure, for those injured and ill (and not every cold either)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

To each their own. I just dont flu vax my oldest cuz she always gets sick in a week of it. Not sick when we not Flu vax. we just go so kids aren't scared to go to docs
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #28
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I dont think my sil goes regularly.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #29
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charise820 View Post
not sure how 5 minute visit with a doc will tell them more about my child than my being with them everyday.

Docs have their place for sure, for those injured and ill (and not every cold either)
We have blood and urine tests at our well child visits. We fill out developmental surveys. Not all parents know when to expect certain milestones. They rely on their doctors to let them know if their child is behind in an area. Hips are checked. Walking gait is checked to be developmentally appropriate. Did you know that it is normal for babies and toddlers to be bowlegged, then for early school aged children to be knock kneed until around age 8? The abdomin is inspected for hernias. Outie belly buttons are often hernias and can go unnoticed by parents who have no clue or understanding of them. This is just off the top of my non-medical head.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

Doesn't bother me. We vax, so we did all our visits, until they got their kindy shots. They don't need anymore until like 7th grade, I think. So I don't plan on taking them in unless they're sick. I guess I don't really see the point. I do my annual paps, but not regular doc physicals. Then again, I go to doctors 3-4 times a month and get lab work every other week, so I don't need well visits. I'm never well.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote