Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
If I think about it (I don't) then I think this: parents who co-sleep, delay vax, practice alternative parenting at all, would do well to cover their bases by having documented well visits. If I were to judge parents who skip well visits (I don't) I would think they were missing an opportunity.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #42
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Re: What do you think of moms who...

My 5.5 month old has never been to a doctor though not by choice - there are not enough doctors in my area. Dd1 & I have been on a waiting list for a doctor since October of LAST year.

We have to go to the er to see a doctor so I wont bring the baby unless she is sick.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #43
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really have always found the checkups annoying. We did all of them on time with our first till he was 4. With our second we did them till he was 2 with a natropath. I loved our natropath. With our third I did not end up doing all of them on time, so we ended up missing a few. Since my kids went on state insurence soon after he was born we never even ended up seeing a doctor at most of his visits. We had a nurse and a medical assistant come in weigh him, ask if I had any conserns, and they did a quick question check list for me. Since we did not vax they said we did not need to see the doctor more then the first time we came in unless I had any medical concerns. We stopped goiing after the 18 month check up and none of my kids have been back to a doctor at all in about 3 years.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #44
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
My 5.5 month old has never been to a doctor though not by choice - there are not enough doctors in my area. Dd1 & I have been on a waiting list for a doctor since October of LAST year.

We have to go to the er to see a doctor so I wont bring the baby unless she is sick.
that was part of our original problem as well. my dd has medicaid and there were just no drs accepting new patients. we actually just made her first appointment since she was 2 weeks old for this month and she will be 2 soon. we only made the appointment because we only delay vax and want to start talking about our options since we are having a new baby soon.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #45
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't care, but I do think it is strange to not establish care with a doctor and get a baseline for your child. I'm a smart cookie, but I don't think mama experience makes me anything like a doctor, and I know there are hundreds of things a doctor might find worth looking into that would never cross my mind.

Also, if our well checks were only 5 min long and a cursory exam, I'd find a new doc. My girls' ped takes 20-30 min for annual visits, and there is bloodwork at every annual visit (same for mine, too).

ETA: I empathize with not wanting to go every two months with an infant, but I don't really understand never going. If something serious happens with my child, I want a doc I already know and trust taking care of her.

Last edited by soonerfan; 10-05-2012 at 10:33 AM.
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #46
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
I don't generally ask my friends about whether or not they take their kids to well visits, so yeah...

But if it came up, I wouldn't think anything. Actually, I guess I would... I would think they did some research, and decided this was the best plan for their family. No big deal to me. But all of my friends are pretty cautious if/when their kids get sick, so I wouldn't freak out, thinking their kid might contaminate mine or something.
Right?

OP, I can't imagine how this would come up. Even with close friends we don't chat about our most recent well visit. LOL.

TBH, I guess I kind of assumed everyone did them kinda like death and taxes, kwim? It wasn't until recently and on this board that I read people don't. My thought when I read that was huh and I went to the next thread.

Why do you care?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #47
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

the only child I did regular well visits with ended up with a 4 year speech delay and a 3 yr cognitive delay due to the stupid dr telling me repeatedly that he was fine!!!ll

Obviously he was not fine! He had fluid in his ears that left him deaf(thankfully, not permanently). At 4 1/2 he had no recognizable speech...and that dr was STILL telling us he was fine!

I do realize that this dr was clearly the problem, but, we don't do reg well visits anymore...

ETA to answer the question, who cares?

Last edited by paper_girl_76; 10-05-2012 at 10:42 AM.
paper_girl_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Dont care. We do once a year for kids over 2. They have never had regular blood work done ever, unless there is an issue. ( my oldest gets blood work every 6 months for her hormone levels) they also go to the dentist every 6 months and the eye doctor once a year.

Under 2 we go every 4-6 months. We dont vaccinate.

I could care less what other moms do. Well baby visits are a new thing.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #49
kiwi87
Registered Users

It's not my style, but they aren't my kids.
kiwi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #50
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't ask or care what other people are doing in terms of well visits. That is their decision to make.

I have seen 3 different pedis with the boys and we have never had blood or urine work done. Most check ups are quick see the dr for 5 min visits.
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote