Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #41
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: santa or not to santa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only View Post
We do Santa.

At some point we all lie to our children. I highly doubt any kid is going to never take you seriously again over Santa. It'll be okay should you decide to go along with the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeeturd View Post
I vote Santa. It's not about lying, it's about magic. Getting old sucks sometimes and every childhood needs magic!!

We LOVE Santa here! I don't see it as lying at all! I see it as giving them a little bit a holiday magic. My children know the real reason for the season. We bake Jesus a birthday cake and we talk about his birth and why it was such a wonderful day. I don't see Santa interfering with Jesus . We speak of Jesus and God on a daily bases and he is a lot more prevalent in our lives than Santa .

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #42
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

We didn't do Santa/Christmas at all when I was a kid... My parents felt that it was a pagan holiday that had been Christian-ized in order to entice pagans to jump on the Christian bandwagon and wanted no part of that kind of deception.

We do Santa, but I feel funny about it... It's important to DH so I don't protest, and I love the rest of the Christmas stuff, but Santa (oh, and the tree thing) weirds me out. I'm pretty sure that my stepson had figured out Santa isn't real last Christmas... he admitted that the Santa in the mall is just a guy in a suit, but wanted to do it because it was fun... So I'm not sure either. If DH didn't think I was being completely ridiculous, we'd leave Santa out of it.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #43
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
We do Santa here. We find it part of the magic of the holiday.
Yep!
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #44
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

No Santa here. I cannot lie to my kids. I just can't.

Christ's birth is special and magical enough by itself for Christmas. I am really confused as to why Christians would need to add to that...Is He not good enough?

To this day I get SO EXCITED by the "magic" of Christmas, and what is so cool is that my excitement is based on something that is real and I know it, not a made up story.

My kids totally know the story of Santa, they even like to play the santa story like they play out Thomas the Train stories. But I cannot tell them he is real, just like I can't lie to them that Thomas the Train is really truly real, even thought they would REALLY LOVE IT if I did .

Beyond those reasons, I really don't want to confuse them. Santa and Christ have some very similar qualities--omniscient, kind and loving, impossible to see or hear but you can see what they do for people, etc. How can I reasonably say that both exist and then retract one later, without them possibly retracting the other along with it? Why would I take such a risk, however small it may be?

Last edited by Melinda29; 10-05-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #45
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was originally in the "no Santa" camp. Mostly bc I have very vivid memories of finding our Santa wasn't real when I was 4, and I was crushed. But, somehow my son has latched on to Santa without any encouragement from me. All it took was one viewing of Rudolph the red nose reindeer. I figured I'd approach it like any other "story" he is interested in. Of course I play along with his games and stuff when he wants to talk about Race Car (Lightening mcQueen), and other fictional characters. And I will be teaching him about the historical saint Nicholas, so he knows where the legend/story of Santa claus comes from. I think it's something he can enjoy now and appreciate later.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #46
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and I also want credit for the gifts. I go to a lot of trouble for them, I want to be the one they thank .

Last edited by Melinda29; 10-05-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #47
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf88 View Post
he admitted that the Santa in the mall is just a guy in a suit,
My girls believe in Santa, but know the guy in the mall isn't the real Santa. Just someone helping out getting Santa all the Christmas gift ideas.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #48
Jedimomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wer are Santa lovers here! I don't think its a lie as much as its just fun folk lore. We homeschool, so at Christmas time we do units on Christmasy things, the real St.Nicholas included. They know the real story, they believe in the folklore, and when they discover that its not actually real they'll help create the magic for younger siblings (in theory... You know kids lol). I pretended to believe in Santa a lot longer than I really did just so my mom wasn't sad that I didn't believe anymore. I think its just fun and part of the holiday magic.

I love TRADES!
Jedimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #49
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I set out to not to Santa with my boys. I mean like hard core thought it was wrong. Told them it was mommy and daddy. And last Christmas my oldest said "Mom, I do believe in Santa."
And at that moment I realized that he had that choice to make and we raise them to make their own choices and follow their hearts and beliefs. And I decided to believe right along with them And it was so incredibly fun! The whole season was so very different. And we are really looking forward to it again this year too!
Terra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #50
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29
No Santa here. I cannot lie to my kids. I just can't.

Christ's birth is special and magical enough by itself for Christmas. I am really confused as to why Christians would need to add to that...Is He not good enough?

To this day I get SO EXCITED by the "magic" of Christmas, and what is so cool is that my excitement is based on something that is real and I know it, not a made up story.

My kids totally know the story of Santa, they even like to play the santa story like they play out Thomas the Train stories. But I cannot tell them he is real, just like I can't lie to them that Thomas the Train is really truly real, even thought they would REALLY LOVE IT if I did .

Beyond those reasons, I really don't want to confuse them. Santa and Christ have some very similar qualities--omniscient, kind and loving, impossible to see or hear but you can see what they do for people, etc. How can I reasonably say that both exist and then retract one later, without them possibly retracting the other along with it? Why would I take such a risk, however small it may be?
Really? This made me LOL. Sorry but I just find it silly.

Obviously we are pro Santa here and I anticipate that lying to my kids about santa is probably not going to cause them any damage

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote