Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #51
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimomma
Wer are Santa lovers here! I don't think its a lie as much as its just fun folk lore. We homeschool, so at Christmas time we do units on Christmasy things, the real St.Nicholas included. They know the real story, they believe in the folklore, and when they discover that its not actually real they'll help create the magic for younger siblings (in theory... You know kids lol). I pretended to believe in Santa a lot longer than I really did just so my mom wasn't sad that I didn't believe anymore. I think its just fun and part of the holiday magic.
This. My thoughts exactly.

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #52
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra
I set out to not to Santa with my boys. I mean like hard core thought it was wrong. Told them it was mommy and daddy. And last Christmas my oldest said "Mom, I do believe in Santa."
And at that moment I realized that he had that choice to make and we raise them to make their own choices and follow their hearts and beliefs. And I decided to believe right along with them And it was so incredibly fun! The whole season was so very different. And we are really looking forward to it again this year too!
Sometimes seeing things through their eyes, and just letting go and enjoying things with them, makes all the difference.

I'm firmly in the pro-Santa camp. My car is getting reindeer antlers this year.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #53
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We do Santa. He fills stockings and gives a share gift or two.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #54
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda
Ok, I am the weird one here. I did santa for the older two; I will not for my youngest. I finally told my kids the truth. Santa is not real, people are real. I am the one who puts those presents under the tree. I'm tired of having to wrap "santa" presents in different paper. I'm tired of always HAVING to unwrap presents on Christmas morning. I want to be able to just give the girls a few gifts instead of a few from me and a few from "Santa". I'm tired of all the questions. "Why do we do Operation Christmas? Can't Santa get overseas?" "Who makes the toys?", "How can Santa get in the house without chimneys?" I am tired of lying to them. I'm sick of having stay up super tired after getting home from church so that "santa" can come. I am also tired of the tooth fairy. Thankfully we never did the Easter Bunny. So yeah, it's not happening for Alannah. We can have all the magic of the holidays without the fake stuff. Sorry if I sound disenchanted but frankly I am. And I'm pretty broke right now, so that doesn't help, LOL
So because you're tired you are taking the experience away from your child? I get that the holidays can be stressful, but this reasoning seems sad. How unfortunate for your youngest - I think it's sad that when families have multiple kids the oldest get everything and then as years pass things just start to diminish. I think all children deserve the same level of attention.

I get being tired but the happiness of my children outweighs it all for me.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #55
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043

So because you're tired you are taking the experience away from your child? I get that the holidays can be stressful, but this reasoning seems sad. How unfortunate for your youngest - I think it's sad that when families have multiple kids the oldest get everything and then as years pass things just start to diminish. I think all children deserve the same level of attention.

My daughter will still have Christmas, I'm certainly not taking that away from her, but we can have a wonderful Christmas without adding Santa to it. She is certainly not going to be deprived. You don't need to be sad for my children.they are in no way neglected
Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #56
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29
No Santa here. I cannot lie to my kids. I just can't.

Christ's birth is special and magical enough by itself for Christmas. I am really confused as to why Christians would need to add to that...Is He not good enough?

To this day I get SO EXCITED by the "magic" of Christmas, and what is so cool is that my excitement is based on something that is real and I know it, not a made up story.

My kids totally know the story of Santa, they even like to play the santa story like they play out Thomas the Train stories. But I cannot tell them he is real, just like I can't lie to them that Thomas the Train is really truly real, even thought they would REALLY LOVE IT if I did .

Beyond those reasons, I really don't want to confuse them. Santa and Christ have some very similar qualities--omniscient, kind and loving, impossible to see or hear but you can see what they do for people, etc. How can I reasonably say that both exist and then retract one later, without them possibly retracting the other along with it? Why world I take such a risk, however small it may be?
I agree very much with this. The holidays are magical enough
Old 10-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #57
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: santa or not to santa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
My girls believe in Santa, but know the guy in the mall isn't the real Santa. Just someone helping out getting Santa all the Christmas gift ideas.
This is my kids, too. They know the Santa at the mall is someone play-acting, pretending to be Santa, spreading more Christmas love. Just as the baby in the manger in the Sunday School play is not really Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I set out to not to Santa with my boys. I mean like hard core thought it was wrong. Told them it was mommy and daddy. And last Christmas my oldest said "Mom, I do believe in Santa."
And at that moment I realized that he had that choice to make and we raise them to make their own choices and follow their hearts and beliefs. And I decided to believe right along with them And it was so incredibly fun! The whole season was so very different. And we are really looking forward to it again this year too!
Obviously I am on Team Santa, but regardless of Santa or no Santa, I love this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Obviously we are pro Santa here and I anticipate that lying to my kids about santa is probably not going to cause them any damage
You'd be surprised. There are people who feel very hurt by the deception of Santa. BIL is one of them.

I was just chatting with my DH about this. He teaches grade six and often encounters kids who still believe, or who still want to believe. He just had a conversation with a girl yesterday about Santa, coming from a conversation about the tooth fairy not being real. She said, "Mr. M, the tooth fairy, isn't real. Kind of like Santa.... right?" and looked doubtfully at him. He told her he does believe and when she asked why, he said because it is more fun to believe for him. She liked that (disclaimer: he did email with the parents about this conversation ).
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #58
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do Santa, but he is not our main focus when it comes to Christmas.

We're Catholic so we talk a lot about St. Nicholas, St. Lucy and a few other fun feast days in December.

Obviously the main focus is on Jesus, and we also celebrate the 12 days of Christmas and leave everything up and continue to play Christmas music until the Epiphany.

My boys LOVE Santa, and I remember loving the magic of it as a kid. I don't think it is the most important thing, but I can't imagine taking away memories I have of my dad reading us "The Polar Express" or watching "Rudolph" together. It was no big deal when I found out Santa wasn't real, so much so that I don't even remember when it happened or how I knew, but it was then fun to play along for the little kids.

But Santa was never such a big deal that it was horrible when we found out, I'm trying to do the same for my kids. Enjoy the fun and magic of it, but not make Christmas all about Santa.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #59
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Really? This made me LOL. Sorry but I just find it silly.

Obviously we are pro Santa here and I anticipate that lying to my kids about santa is probably not going to cause them any damage
I think her reasons are very valid

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-06-2012 at 10:37 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #60
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043