Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #61
Terra's Avatar
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 12,302
My Mood:
Re: santa or not to santa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
Sometimes seeing things through their eyes, and just letting go and enjoying things with them, makes all the difference.

I'm firmly in the pro-Santa camp. My car is getting reindeer antlers this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
This is my kids, too. They know the Santa at the mall is someone play-acting, pretending to be Santa, spreading more Christmas love. Just as the baby in the manger in the Sunday School play is not really Jesus.



Obviously I am on Team Santa, but regardless of Santa or no Santa, I love this post.



You'd be surprised. There are people who feel very hurt by the deception of Santa. BIL is one of them.

I was just chatting with my DH about this. He teaches grade six and often encounters kids who still believe, or who still want to believe. He just had a conversation with a girl yesterday about Santa, coming from a conversation about the tooth fairy not being real. She said, "Mr. M, the tooth fairy, isn't real. Kind of like Santa.... right?" and looked doubtfully at him. He told her he does believe and when she asked why, he said because it is more fun to believe for him. She liked that (disclaimer: he did email with the parents about this conversation ).
Thank you both I love that they are already talking about it and I'm already planning!

I do want to say though that personally I understand the other side having been there and don't have any ill feelings towards that. I do get it! And I do believe it can be as magical as you make it no matter what you do!

The only thing I don't always 'get' is the over emphasis on the religious part since really it wasn't/isn't a true Christian holiday. *Personally* I don't think Christ is on his throne saying ZOMG, look at those people taking Christ out of Christmas. I don't think he thinks anything about it. But that's just me!

ETA: Though we do put out nativity sets and do a Jesus birthday cake.

Advertisement

__________________
Terra: Independent woman, wife to Eric , mother to David & Aaron
Deeply spiritual, follower of Christ, connnected to my Native American spiritual roots. Over-thinker on life!
http://myownblueplanet.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #62
threelittlehoneys's Avatar
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,009
Re: santa or not to santa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Thank you both I love that they are already talking about it and I'm already planning!

I do want to say though that personally I understand the other side having been there and don't have any ill feelings towards that. I do get it! And I do believe it can be as magical as you make it no matter what you do!

The only thing I don't always 'get' is the over emphasis on the religious part since really it wasn't/isn't a true Christian holiday. *Personally* I don't think Christ is on his throne saying ZOMG, look at those people taking Christ out of Christmas. I don't think he thinks anything about it. But that's just me!

ETA: Though we do put out nativity sets and do a Jesus birthday cake.
I believe in God and Christ, and I agree with you. I haven't looked into the history of that date (have been wanting to for years and haven't) but I think it was a pagan holiday before Christ was born (on an unknown date)

eta~ I do think that that perspective is valid for people who see it that way, but I don't understand it

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 10-06-2012 at 10:36 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #63
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: santa or not to santa?

We approach it as Santa is a fictional character (like their cartoon characters) that we use to celebrate at Christmas time. We teach about the Biblical meaning of Christmas and read the Nativity story. We talk about the historical figure of St. Nick. And I tell my kids that SOME kids believe that Santa is real and it's not nice to "correct" them because it would make them sad.

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #64
mekat
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,179
Re: santa or not to santa?

Santa all the way. My son is obsessed with Santa. Any book about Santa will be chosen over all his other favorites. Santa isn't the only lie I have told my son. If you think that makes me a bad mother then so be it.

Just for the record, I consider any untruth a lie whether it is by omission, purposely misleading a person or a straight out fib. Even though my definition of lying is strict, I also think there is a time and place for lying sometimes. Seriously if we went around saying every little thought in our head there would be total chaos.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #65
JoeysMomma's Avatar
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,451
My Mood:
We do Santa with the kids.
My son knows we celebrate because it's Jesus' birthday. But we also enjoy the magic of Santa while they are little.
__________________
angela - sahm to j (8) and e (4) and w (oct 2013)
JoeysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #66
mmmom's Avatar
mmmom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,112
My Mood:
We are pro Santa despite SO's objections, he is Japanese so they don't celebrate Christmas at all. I think he secretly likes it but he does make a point to buy smaller gifts from Santa and the big want items are from us.
This year dd, who is 7 is starting to ask questions my response is to question her back "what do you think?". My teacher brain tells me I am promoting critical thinking and encouraging her to learn by questioning her environment
We also have BIL coming with his family this year for the first time ever so we need to decide what to do about his 3yo and 10yo and the Santa thing
__________________
lovin' preschool teacher, part time student Momma to... The Japanese Princess and her bigger little brother
mmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #67
JennTheMomma's Avatar
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,820
My Mood:
Re: santa or not to santa?

Our boys do not believe in Santa. We have always told them that he was a character of Christmas, but not that he was real or fake. We do Santa pictures but not Santa gifts and they don't tell him what they want for Christmas as they think he's just pretend, etc. We do La Befana for our stockings, again, they know she is not real and just part of a tradition (Italian Christmas Witch).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #68
threelittlehoneys's Avatar
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,009
Re: santa or not to santa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
Santa all the way. My son is obsessed with Santa. Any book about Santa will be chosen over all his other favorites. Santa isn't the only lie I have told my son. If you think that makes me a bad mother then so be it.

Just for the record, I consider any untruth a lie whether it is by omission, purposely misleading a person or a straight out fib. Even though my definition of lying is strict, I also think there is a time and place for lying sometimes. Seriously if we went around saying every little thought in our head there would be total chaos.
I don't understand the last part of your post. I agree with your statement about what a lie is, but don't understand the assumption that attempting to be a truthful person means you can't use restraint in what you say.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #69
Terra's Avatar
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 12,302
My Mood:
Re: santa or not to santa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I believe in God and Christ, and I agree with you. I haven't looked into the history of that date (have been wanting to for years and haven't) but I think it was a pagan holiday before Christ was born (on an unknown date)

eta~ I do think that that perspective is valid for people who see it that way, but I don't understand it
Agree I make myself crack up really because I was so extreme I wouldn't even allow a Santa figurine in my home and was so overfocused on the religious part that I was losing sight of simple faith.
I like the personal balance I've found now! And I like to make Santa not all about commercialism, but also tell my boys how some children have neither food nor toys.
The letters we write to Santa in our community actually go to a "secret" organization who picks out X amount of letters each year and fulfills that wish list.
This year when the boys do their letters I'm going to have them put in some money and tell "Santa" to help the kids who don't have much. So it's fun doing that kind of thing too
__________________
Terra: Independent woman, wife to Eric , mother to David & Aaron
Deeply spiritual, follower of Christ, connnected to my Native American spiritual roots. Over-thinker on life!
http://myownblueplanet.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #70
mekat
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,179
Re: santa or not to santa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I don't understand the last part of your post. I agree with your statement about what a lie is, but don't understand the assumption that attempting to be a truthful person means you can't use restraint in what you say.
It means we all lie in our own way to our children whether we wish to admit it or not. Most people do lie to them by purposely leaving part of an explanation out. Those that go around claiming they never lie to their children probably do even if they don't classify it as a lie. Any attempt to purposely conceal part of the truth is a lie. I'm not being judgmental though I do think lying has its purpose. It just annoys me when people go around claiming they never lie because their clam has a pretty high probability of being false.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.