Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Update and new question WWYD?

In Jan 2011, when they were being discontinued, I bought 36 BG size mediums, since the sized diapers are all that work on my kiddos. Since then they have seen very heavy use, and for most of that time by two children. The velcro on many of them is completely shot (won't even stay closed anymore), and the elastic is going to need to be replaced soon.

I found the person I want to snap convert (me doing it is out of the question, I am too paranoid about ruining them, and with tendinitis in my right elbow, it would be a long, painful process), and figured out for 52 diapers (this also includes our size large and a couple mediums that were converted to pocket diapers I bought off of here, I have to send in two batches due to needing enough diapers to use, and she offers a discount for orders over 25, so I figure might as well) it would be JUST over $200 including four flat rate shipping boxes to ship both orders to and from.

It will be about $40 to buy all the elastic replacement kits just for my mediums, but will need to buy a few more for other diapers. I have somebody local that will do the actual replacing for free. She just isn't comfortable doing the snaps. However, this person will take a LONG time to do it, with the possibility of her having whatever diapers I send for up to a month, and that is with me hounding her. (She's my "other mom", she does a lot of sewing repairs for us, and some clothes my kids have outgrown long before we got them back...) I may have her teach me to do it, but with baby number #5 due the beginning of December, and the fact I'm homeschooling two kids, I just don't know when *I* would have time.

So today I found somebody selling 28 size medium BG diapers on craigslist. She says only a couple were actually worn, most were just washed to prep. She's asking $8.50 per diaper, but would consider less for all of them. I emailed an offer of $200.

So, my question, what would you do? Assuming, that is, that she still has them, and accepts my offer. I'm not willing to pay more than that. Would you just buy new diapers, or would you spend a little less (remember, of that $200 snap conversion, 16 diapers are NOT my mediums) and put in the work, knowing that replacing the elastic will be a huge pain?

Sorry this is so long...

Update:
She finally got back to me (somebody had emailed right before me and took this long to back out), but has said that because she already sold some of the diapers (she had sold some prior to me finding the add, she still has the 28 I emailed about) that she is more firm on the price. It's not a terrible price, $8.50 per diaper, assuming they are in the condition she is describing. However, that is almost $40 more than I was hoping to spend, and puts them at more expensive than fixing the ones I have (considerably when you factor in the $200 for snap conversion includes 16 larges and a couple various other diapers). So, you all said before you'd buy the new diapers, would you still pay the $238 instead of $200?

Advertisement

Last edited by lensesforeyes; 10-11-2012 at 09:01 AM.
lensesforeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD?

I know you said that BG sized diapers are all that fits your kids but have you tried sunbabys or alvas?? They are super cheap, you can get 12 for $60 including shipping. Just suggestion, it would save you some $$
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

I've tried Alvas recently, they leaked like crazy. Thankfully they weren't mine, I forgot diapers and had to use my friend's. I've seriously tried probably 20-25 different diapers, and with the exception of fitteds with a GOOD wool cover (which is too bulky for day time use, we use these at night), the BG are all that have worked consistently. I just don't have it in me to go through more trial and error in hopes that I find a diaper that is cheaper and works.

ETA: I want you to know I really do appreciate the suggestions, I hate coming off as somebody who just blows off people with excuses. I've just been down this road so many times, and it has been such a frustrating experience every single time, that I just don't want to do it again. There is a chance I could find something that works, yes, but there is also a very good chance I'd throw away money on more diapers that won't work, and that is just not in the budget. At least not if I am going to do something about the diapers I have currently. It would be one or the other, really. Trust me... we've battled so many issues, and I think if it wasn't for the fact that DD3 can't use disposables, I would have given up. Perhaps me being stubborn once I commit that much money has helped, too, but really, it has not been fun.

Last edited by lensesforeyes; 10-05-2012 at 11:10 AM.
lensesforeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller

I would try to get the mediums for $200. Then I would sell the mediums you have as is and try to get enough out of them to repair the larges you have.
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
babycat42
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would buy the CL ones but just exam all of them first
babycat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneaumommy
I would try to get the mediums for $200. Then I would sell the mediums you have as is and try to get enough out of them to repair the larges you have.
My larges are still in decent shape. I only have 16, four I bought used and they could all use some love, but, they were cheap. They could all use elastic thanks to DH putting huge inserts in the extra absorbency pocket repeatedly after me asking him not to (), but it isn't causing issues yet. I was going to convert them as a preemptive strike to get the discount.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd try for the craiglist ones as well, I forgot to add that to my first post. The sunbaby option was if it falls through. Have you ever tried flips? You can use anything to stuff them and you could probably buy some on fsot that aren't too expensive.
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambieone
I'd try for the craiglist ones as well, I forgot to add that to my first post. The sunbaby option was if it falls through. Have you ever tried flips? You can use anything to stuff them and you could probably buy some on fsot that aren't too expensive.
Haha, Flips. Oh Flips. Yes, we've used them. They actually worked for a couple months for DS. Never for the girls. I really wish they would work, new they are currently buy two covers, get one free, so that would be a cheap option. OS just doesn't seal around my kids thighs, and they leak as soon as they pee.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
smores
Registered Users

I think you would find Sunbaby different than the rest. I have a difficult time finding a good fit and Sunbabies definitely have it. Size one fits great for us for right now. and FWIW, my kid has always been 2nd percentile on weight and 80th on height, so she's tiny and tall.
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would buy the craigslist ones. (inspecting them before you pay ... of course).
Then I would have your "second mom" take 10 diapers and repair them a month. Maybe if you show her a video online about how kam snaps work... She might do it. (A snap pliers and snaps would probably be under $50 if you didn't bargain hunt and got lots of different colors) Or She could easily replace the velcro if she sews instead of doing a snap conversion. The velcro comes in the refresher kits sold on Cottonbabies and other places.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote