Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is this normal for PUL/TPU these days?

I have a stash of mostly Alvas (BG 4.0s for daycare, but since ds doesn't wear them around the house much, I do't know if this affects them too). When he wears them, I notice that before the insert is soaked all the way, they start to wick some dampness onto his clothes. The front half of the inserts are wet, and the back is dry. I use flour sack flats, some prefolds, and Alva bamboo. To keep his clothes completely dry at night, I have to add additional absorbancy even though the back is dry. I'm ending up with really bulky diapers because I need twice as much insert as can actually get wet since the entire back stays dry. I have this problem with both minky and non-minky diapers. This isn't really a deal killer for CD'ing, since ds has worse leaks when I've put him in sposies, but its annoying.

With my older kids, I used to use FB (bought in 2004), and never noticed this happen. On the other hand, my last three kids were girls. I stuffed with infant sized prefolds and occasionally microfiber towels during the day, and used hemp at night. When middle ds wore the FB at night, I never had this issue, and when I use my old FB on youngest ds with hemp or a premium prefold, I don't have this issue.

Is there something different about the quality of the PUL/TPU versus what I bought in 2004?

Advertisement

Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have alvas microfiber inserts and I compared the absorbency of it against prefolds and the microfiber really doesn't hold much. With the prefolds the water absorbs through the whole thing versus the microfiber was only wet where I poured water with a puddle underneath it. All that said my guess is its microfiber not absorbing and dispersing the pee that is causing it to leak.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Not all microfiber is created equal. I would imagine it may not be that absorbent and causing the wicking.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is this normal for PUL/TPU these days?

I'm not stuffing them with microfiber. I'm using flour sack flats, prefolds, and bamboo. Either a flour sack flat with bamboo or an infant prefold with bamboo. So I don't think its compression wicking. And the inserts are only halfway wet when it happens.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

It could be your little one is flooding the diaper so the inserts don't have the time to distribute the wetness. Try putting a fleece liner inbetween the PUL and the inserts (so stuffed in the pocket). This gives the inserts more time to absorb correctly before the diaper leaks.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic
It could be your little one is flooding the diaper so the inserts don't have the time to distribute the wetness. Try putting a fleece liner inbetween the PUL and the inserts (so stuffed in the pocket). This gives the inserts more time to absorb correctly before the diaper leaks.
This will fix your problem I bet. Dfs does this and I'm just now realizing what up with it. I usually stuff with a pf wrapped around a puny microfiber doubler and its ok sometimes.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Could it be bc the alvas are the cheaper ones? Does it ever happen with your BGs?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

mine do that to the front will be wet of soaked and the back dry and the legs wick out wetness
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Could it be bc the alvas are the cheaper ones? Does it ever happen with your BGs?
It happens with my flips and thirsties as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

China made PUL/TPU just isnt the same quality as US made. There are only a few American PUL manufacturers that make diaper quality PUL. That said, I have some original Kawaii minky pockets that only now are starting to separate, but are still usable. I would try the poly fleece sandwiched as suggested above. Joans Anti-pill or Blizzard is cheap (on sale this week) and no need to sew, it doesnt fray.