Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Anyone in Chicago?

I am heading to Chicago for a work training/conference this weekend. I will be staying up North (near Lincoln Park) but will be downtown during the days. I know that the Chicago Marathon is going on this weekend, has me a little worried about transportation in and out of the city - Sunday especially. Any Chicagoans who can enlighten me on the best way to get to/from downtown in that sort of chaos? Do I just take a cab? Also, any great local eats or sites near McCormick Place I should check out in my down time?

[ mom to my cowboy ballerina and my boy-of-steel ]
UnderTheStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
I would taxi or take the bus...driving will be crazy and parking is pricey. Check out Ed Debevics for an entertaining meal.

Sent from my iPhone, typing one handed with one babe on the boob and two climbing the walls. :}
.Jena. Wife to Rob. Mommy to my E^3
CLICK Flawless Intentions
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Banned - User Requested
Re: Anyone in Chicago?

I would suggest the El train. It's what we mainly use. I think it would be the red line in Lincoln Park (but you can check that and get trip plans on It will be much easier getting help when you get turned around because 99.9% of the people you see down there will know where to find the closest El. For a bus you would need to know which station, bus number and any transfers, etc. and not many people will know about your specific bus route. Though I will admit, cabs are probably the easiest option for someone out of town....I don't trust cabs. At all. It feels against the grain to get into a car with a creepy stranger. Not to mention, they drive like maniacs! And that's saying something from a Chicago driver.

As for price, the bus and train are much, much cheaper. It's 2.25 per ride, you just buy a card and put money on it through a kiosk type machine and scan the card to get into the station.

For restaurants, DH's only recommendation is pizzeria uno because everyone is supposed to eat real Chicago pizza when they visit. I say Goose Island brewpub (which is on the north side). And Garrett's popcorn is my favorite thing to get in Chicago, but it's not a restaurant. It's unbelievably delicious! And I'm not even really a popcorn fan.

Last edited by harmoni247; 10-05-2012 at 11:06 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote